Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing... all I can say...

In the beginning it was like, "Oh look another MC, probably gonna look like EVERY other one... Oh haha 'Alas poor Yorick!!'
Then it was "Wow this is turning out awesomely!!"
Then "..." (speechless)
Finally, "OMG BEST FRIGGIN MASTER CHIEF EVAR!!!!" and that was around mid-09
Lastly "This... is... AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I wish I could have one..."

I started reading this thread two days ago. I am speachless, Your skills are Epic. The armor looks fantastic. My intrest and desire to start my own project are through the roof. Thank You for all the information you posted in this thread. Again Thank You.

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm glad to know that I'm educating and entertaining people all at once.

Beautiful work, I really love the treads! That extra detail just makes things POP!

Making screen accurate armor is easy. If you want a real challenge, you need to try for screen accuate footprints. Shortly before I decided I needed to do that someone should've checked my dosages.

I seen that you have gnomes for sale! Are they still available? and at what price?

They're still available, yes. If you get on eBay and search for "Combat Garden Gnomes" you'll find them (painted and unpainted). My eBay username is thorconsignments. Special note for forum members: the listings will automatically accept offers as low as $10 below the listed prices.

UPDATE:

Today my friend Chris (who will become Simmons) stopped by the workshop to help out, so I set him to work building the parting lines for the boot molds:
5059798038_9030b22733_b.jpg

Once they were ready (with a lip built up around the edge to catch any drips) the new boot prototypes went under the rubber:
5059709298_240bbed1d4_b.jpg

Here's how they look now:
5059708248_1a9d791509_b.jpg
Next I'll brush on some more silicone (with thixotropic catalyst) to the vertical surfaces to build up a bit more thickness.

I also decided to experiment with embedding rare earth magnets in the thighs where the weapons are supposed to click into place:
5059094217_b911892d54_o.jpg
I've decided I don't like the way they work. Even the lightest of my foam pistol castings fell off when I jumped. So I'll probably fudge this bit and just velcro the pistol in place.

And so begins my blue suit:
5059093039_ff20091279_o.jpg

Stay tuned...

I'm not sure if you mentioned foam pistols previously in the thread, but that is something I've wanted for a long time. That and the EVA visor you've done. All great work!

hmm interesting those cant hold those can bare be pulled apart under human strength
Yeah, but jumping up and down would mean they'd be sliding apart rather then pulling, which is how you separate magnets that strong. Guess it also depends on how much plastic was between the magnets reducing their strength. It was something I was thinking about for my costume, but may have to reconsider if it worked out so bad for Thorssoli.

yeah you have a good point there but doesnt someone use a magnet on there backpack to hold there ar in place i believe i saw link with a picture like that holding his AR

I was considering doing the same, but making it so that there was as little material between the two as I could manage

I am not sure how Thorssoli did it but magnets would work best if you put the largest metal surface area you can with the largest magnet in the smaller available surface area. In the case of a thigh and a pistol, the pistol would have the magnet and the thigh would have the metal plate. You would also want little to no surface between the metal and the magnet as the strength of the magnet diminishes with the square of the distance.

When I added the magnets, I basically just stuck one into the first layer of resin that went into the thigh molds as it started to set up. It's under the surface of the plastic, but only just barely. Then I matched the polarity of another magnet and glued it to the outside of one of my foam pistol casts. Even so, the hair's thickness of plastic between the two meant that the shearing force of gravity was enough to slide the pistol off with the slightest bump.

I may try again with a second magnet embedded in the thigh, but I'm still not too optimistic about this. I may also look around to see if I can find bigger magnets.

In other news, I frosted on a layer of pink silicone for the boot molds today:
5060237821_bee1b780a9_z.jpg

Tomorrow I'll make the upper mother molds. Then I'll pull the boards off the bottom, turn the whole arrangement over, and pour the jacket for the soles.

Stay tuned...

Hey Thor, I saw your problem with the pistol holster, B&T has a holster design that may work for ya
mp9_4.jpg

The bottom has a plate that sticks out where the barrel shroud couples with the plate. Having the bottom plate working in conjuction with the magnets might solve your problem. Hope that helps.

Delicious.

How about a giant peg in the leg for holstering your weapons? Kinda like a McFarlane figure? Nobody would notice the hole in the weapon if it was in your hand, and it wouldn't have to go all the way through.

Or you could try what Tactonyx said. It sounds like it could work.

It's nifty and all, but if I'm going for accuracy, there has to be no apparent thing that holds the sidearm in place. If I'm going to fudge it a bit, velcro will work just fine.

It's nifty and all, but if I'm going for accuracy, there has to be no apparent thing that holds the sidearm in place. If I'm going to fudge it a bit, velcro will work just fine.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing with the rare earth magnets. I honestly think the only way it'd work is with some of the higher end, stronger versions.

My other idea (one that might be a little harder to imbed) would to utilize the lightsaber clips they used for the prequal sabers, but IDK. My biggest goal would to be able to get my AR to magnatize onto the back un-assisted, but we can all dream!

i don't really think this is possible... it might be but probabaly not, you see once you get the right strength magnet to keep your weapon in place, you run the risk of destroying either your armour or weapon everytime you go to pull it off, if you like the look of it though, you could have the magnum as a static prop on your leg and keep the one you plan on pulling out in a pouch or something. but maybe... (oh, btw have you thought of a clip system to hold it in place like a slide or something that could be universal to all your weapons?? and great work so far on your everything :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back