UNSC Army Trooper Costume Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Forge

I had a sort of revelation a few days ago about how to make the UNSC Army Trooper suit from Halo:Reach. I noticed that the suit was practically just layers of armor in different shapes. SO, with my Trooper action figure in hand, I recreated the armor pieces in Photoshop. I then printed these templates at actual size and cut and assembled them. I then bought a camping mat made of foam and transfered the designs onto it.
This is how it ended up looking:
army_trooper_templates_cut_by_izaak94-d3dktm5.jpg

army_trooper_mat_traced_by_izaak94-d3dkx76.jpg

That was on a 30in by 72in mat with a thickness of .5 inches. I then put them into their groups to see how it would look:
army_trooper_parts_cut_out_by_izaak94-d3dl65x.jpg

I think it looks great so far, and I plan to glue the layers together, add some detail with thinner foam, then spray paint it brown.

If anyone is interested in the templates here they are:
army_trooper_shoulder_temp_by_izaak94-d3dksjl.png

army_trooper_stomach_temp_by_izaak94-d3dksqa.png

army_trooper_thigh_temp_by_izaak94-d3dkswh.png

army_trooper_torso_temps_by_izaak94-d3dkt3z.png

Now all of these are scaled to my size, which is like 10 inch wide chest plate and im 5 11 maybe?

Anyway, I should have more eventually after I experiment with different kinds of glue to see which works best.

Thanks for sharing this! Can't wait to see how it all looks, as this strikes me as a relatively quick and simple way to put together a costume for my son.

More updates!

Okay, so I figured out that Rubber Cement works wonders when binding together the foam layers. So I went about gluing them together. The back is still drying so it isnt in the photo, but this is how it looks now:
army_trooper_parts_glued_by_izaak94-d3dm4ed.jpg

I still have a few parts to glue, but I can only do that after the back is dry, so that will have to wait until tomorrow. So for the rest of the night Ill be making the templates for the armor details.

Sweet! Don't know if there are other Reach UNSC Troopers out there but I can't wait to see yours finished. Hope you can make it to Comic Con 2011 so there can be two of us there.

Here is mine so far. Still lots of work to do on the helmet and modded Nerf Recon assault rifle.
DSC01521.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

Sweet! Don't know if there are other Reach UNSC Troopers out there but I can't wait to see yours finished. Hope you can make it to Comic Con 2011 so there can be two of us there.

Here is mine so far. Still lots of work to do on the helmet and modded Nerf Recon assault rifle.
DSC01521.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

I saw your build while I was looking up to see if anyone else was doing what I was doing! LOL. Yours is way better than mine. Lots more details and the shape is perfect. Unfortunately I doubt ill be at Comic Con, I live in Michigan and cant really get anywhere far.

Thanks man! I'm sure yours will turn out great. It was really tough getting the Comic Con tickets for this year for a lot of people. Hopefully I can be of help to you if needed.

Thanks man! I'm sure yours will turn out great. It was really tough getting the Comic Con tickets for this year for a lot of people. Hopefully I can be of help to you if needed.
You're welcome! Me and my brother were thinking of finding a way to Comic Con sometime. Maybe this year Ill have to convince him that we are going! LOL

Yeah, you guys should definitely try to go for the next one. This will be my first year going as a Halo character, it should be an interesting experience.

Okay, so I figured out that Rubber Cement works wonders when binding together the foam layers. So I went about gluing them together. The back is still drying so it isnt in the photo, but this is how it looks now:
army_trooper_parts_glued_by_izaak94-d3dm4ed.jpg

I still have a few parts to glue, but I can only do that after the back is dry, so that will have to wait until tomorrow. So for the rest of the night Ill be making the templates for the armor details.

Try hot glue! Hot glue works great with foam and it dries in less than a minute.

Try hot glue! Hot glue works great with foam and it dries in less than a minute.
The rubber cement dries really quick if u let it set for a minute apart. but if u just slap it on and put it together it takes 4 EVER! I had accidentally forgot a section to glue, so I did just that and now im waiting for tomorrow, just to be safe.

hm... with these templates... i might go to SDCC as a trooper instead of a spratan... xD

LOL nice dude! Itll be easier to make too, except the helmet still would have to pep that or something.

OH! Speaking of templates, I have some of the detail parts for use with thinner foam. All of these have to be scaled the same % as the other templates. Oh and one note I forgot to say before. THE THIGH TEMPLATES SHOULD BE SHRUNK TO 70%

stomach_plate_details_tmes_by_izaak94-d3dmh7l.png

shoulder_detail_temps_by_izaak94-d3dmh9k.png

thigh_detail_temps_by_izaak94-d3dmhbg.png

torso_detail_temps_by_izaak94-d3dmhcp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back