First Armor build WIP thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

As a n00b to 405th and armor building, I thought I'd let you guys watch my progress on my first armor build.

It's Mark V armor from Halo Reach and it is my custom, in-game armor.
Helmet: HAZOP
Shoulders: GUNGNIR
Chest: default
Knee-guards: Grenadier
weapon: Assault Rifle

two of my friends are also building Reach armor as well, both of which I'm building their helmets (only after I'm done fiberglassing mine), so one of them is making my AR for me.

pictures in next post.

update:
Donovan.png

all pepped armor pieces so far (pitiful, isn't i?)
FILE0142.jpg

Notice the split up the back, I had to add an inch and widen the opening for it to fit my noggin
FILE0141.jpg

The HAZOP helmet, in all it's paper glory.
FILE0140.jpg

both knee-guards pepped, soon to be sanded (one was painted to test smoothness)
FILE0139.jpg

Your project is definitely coming along nicely. I always thought the Hazops was a cool helmet. Are you planning to fiberglass them soon?

Are you using painting tape to pep?, or is that just to make the edges even. Most of the time i see a helmet with tape on it the resin makes it peel off, leaving an unresined area. This seemed to absorb the tape. What type of tape is that, some kind of masking tape?

Are you using painting tape to pep?, or is that just to make the edges even. Most of the time i see a helmet with tape on it the resin makes it peel off, leaving an unresined area. This seemed to absorb the tape. What type of tape is that, some kind of masking tape?

I think it's scotch tape for painting and at first I was worried about whether or not it would work with the fiberglass.
But it turned out better than expected.

Your project is definitely coming along nicely. I always thought the Hazops was a cool helmet. Are you planning to fiberglass them soon?

Actually, I'm planning to fiberglass next weekend, but I have no money and no materials left over, so I'm going to have to just keep pepping the rest of the armor.

very nice pep work. Never seen tape used that way before but it looks like it works and keeps you from inhaling super glue fumes all day lol

Keep up the good work!

Update 7-19-2011 11:54:
Pepped the right forearm piece, both boot toes and about to start pepping the left forearm.
pictures soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: 8-6-2011 2:40
all armor is pepped, my friend is doing my biceps in exchange for his helmet.
Pictures soon.

FILE0153.jpg

FILE0143.jpg

FILE0151.jpg

FILE0149.jpg

FILE0145.jpg

FILE0144.jpg

FILE0147.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, good news and bad news.
Good news: I started fiberglassing yesterday and a lot of them are done.
bad news: The helmet warped and the assault rifle my friend made for me broke. So now I'm left with a cruddy EOD helmet.

Pictures soon!

update 8/17/2011 1:52 pm

I did my Operator helmet, so if I scrap the HAZOP, I can use that.
Do you guys think I should keep the HAZOP? It looks too wide to me, but I'd like another opinion.

forearms
FILE0012.jpg

operator
FILE0011.jpg

my fat hazop
FILE0010.jpg

gonna have to redo part of the chest.
FILE0009.jpg

forearms again
FILE0008.jpg

boot toes, buckles and handplates
FILE0007.jpg

shins
FILE0006.jpg

codpiece (soon to be fiberglassed)
FILE0005.jpg

thigh plates
FILE0004.jpg

ab plate and helmet attachment (soon to be fiberglassed)
FILE0003.jpg

shoulder plates (soon to be fiberglassed)
FILE0002.jpg

biceps (soon to be fiberglassed)
FILE0001.jpg

Did you resin pieces with the tape on? It's my understanding that resin will dissolve tape adhesive, and if that's what's holding the pieces together it will fall apart.

On another note, I hope the tape doesn't mess up the outer look of the pieces too much. That would be shame in this case since your Pep pieces look very good. That's why it's not advisable to use tape since it ruins the looks of a piece without lots of Bondo work.

Did you resin pieces with the tape on? It's my understanding that resin will dissolve tape adhesive, and if that's what's holding the pieces together it will fall apart.

This is true, although I don't know about it falling apart. I accidentally left a few pieces of tape on a pep that I resined the other day and when the resin cured, I found that the tape started to come up and was hardened in an up-curled state. It's going to require some work to smooth out those areas.

looks awesome so far man, and you sure do like using that tape =P but keep up the great work and can't wait to see it finished
good luck =D

On another note, I hope the tape doesn't mess up the outer look of the pieces too much. That would be shame in this case since your Pep pieces look very good. That's why it's not advisable to use tape since it ruins the looks of a piece without lots of Bondo work.

Believe it or not, it actually bonded as well as the fiberglass did.

looks awesome so far man, and you sure do like using that tape =P but keep up the great work and can't wait to see it finished
good luck =D

Thanks, all this cyber-love is what's been keeping me going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back