Helmet Display Stands - Child's Play Charity - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Hey y'all. It's been ages. You look good! You lost weight. Is that a new haircut? How's life been treating ya? How's the family? Good! ;D I haven't shared any of my work here for ages but thought you guys might enjoy seeing this.

This is something I've been working on since late summer. I've been wanting to make some display stands for my own helmets and was approached by Laird MacLean, a fundraiser for Child's Play Charity to produce a pair of custom stands for their 2011 auction. I already had a good idea of what I wanted from a display stand, and was inspired by the little stands that come with the McFarlane Halo helmets. Of course there's a good deal of re-designing needed to take something like that and turn it into a life-size, practical, economical product. The proportions have to change, compromises of aesthetics and construction have to be made.. and what material to use? So it doesn't look terribly much like its inspiration, but I feel its more functional this way. In the end I made mistakes, made a couple good choices, and eventually came up with some stands that I think are distinct in design and function. I stenciled and hand painted the logos on the stands, no decals were used. The finish I used is a Krylon paint called 'oil rubbed bronze', it's a dark walnut metallic color.. the photos don't really capture the metallic tone. It's nice and subtle, won't overpower the helmets paint schemes. I'd like to do more variations of finish in time. I think they would look cool in Camo green with light deco damage.

1IMG_9100.jpg

2IMG_9098.jpg

3IMG_9106.jpg

13IMG_9138.jpg

12IMG_9136.jpg

14IMG_9144.jpg

18IMG_9176.jpg

22IMG_9205.jpg

You can see the full gallery of the finished stands here: http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/ScaryMonkey75/Helmet Display Stands/

The process to create the stands was an amalgam of vacuum forming, urethane casting, and woodworking. At one point the vac formed shells were sealed and roto filled with urethane resin for strength. In the end I think I will probably make silicone molds for reproduction rather than vac forming copies. Casting will be far less laborious to duplicate each stand. I'll work on the molding and production of them over the winter and may offer them for sale through my website in the spring. You can see the process pics here: http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/ScaryMonkey75/Stands Preview/

The completed helmet display stands are designed be desktop or wall mounted, and to break down into smaller parts for easy handling. The first two prototypes were commissioned by Laird MacLean to be signed [by Bungie Studios and 343 Industries, Steve Downes (Master Chief), Jen Taylor (Cortana), Tim Dabado (Guilty Spark), Marty O'Donnell (Composer) and others] and are now being auctioned with corresponding helmets from the Halo fan community for the 2011 Child's Play Charity fundraiser. The John S-117 stand was paired with the 405th unity helmet made by John Wieger (Nintendude), Deanna Yates (Souldrinker), Jacob Betts ( JBetts97 ), Johnathon Purpera (troubleis1983), Eric Newgard (Sir Tsaboc). The Carter A-259 helmet was made by Antonio Pagan. The auctions are up now, and 100% of the proceeds benefit the Child's Play Charity, to improve the lives of children in hospitals around the world. Link to auctions: http://tinyurl.com/col5uh3 :)

28SignedBase.jpg

29John117withStand.jpg

30Carter259withStand.jpg

31together.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Hope you liked this glimpse at my recent project. Happy Holidays! :)

EDIT: Added full credits for the 405th Unity helmet as requested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look great.
I also started a design on some helmet stands a few months ago, and wanted to use the small ones for inspiration. I think yours were a more accurate and detailed version. I also really like how yours can be desk or wall mounted.
Just curious, how big is the base?

That helmet stand is definitely one of the best around! Great job, Sean! Continue to impress!
It's also great to see a helmet that I worked on myself sitting on one of those stands; it's a proud feeling. (Although I notice my name is not in the credits)

(Although I notice my name is not in the credits)

??? I added credits everywhere this was posted, as did Laird. I'm not sure where you mean?

*** EDIT: I see the confusion. To my knowledge this helmet came from Antonio Pagan. Did you work on it with him? This is the first I've heard of it.. does Laird know about this? It seems this might need some clarification. :S

Sorry if I've confused you at all; no, I worked on the 405th unity project helmet. If Laird did not add my name, you aren't at fault. Although honestly, it isn't a big deal.

Yeah, I've just been going with the names that Laird used. I wasn't aware that there was a longer list. Maybe I should mention this to him and get the full list on the Unity helmet. Thanks :)

Sent a message to Jacob Betts asking for a full list of all the names of people that worked on the Unity helmet. I will ammend my own posts and send it to Laird and request that he do the same. :)

Got your message Jacob. I was hoping that we could gather peoples actual names for this list since all the other credits are done that way. I might know a few of the members actual names, but I'm afraid I don't know all of them for sure. Could else anyone help out?

Soul-Drinker (Pepakua work) -
JBetts97 (Reenforcing) - Jacob Betts
Nintendude (Bondo work)- John Weiger
Sir Tsaboc (Visor)-
Troubleis1983 (Final Paint Job)-

Once I have the rest of the names I'll ammend my own posts here and at the RPF, and send the names to Laird and ask if he can post them to the auction page. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back