BIG Halo Ring Display

Benton188

RCO
Member DIN
S188
This is a project that's been on my mind for about 2 years now, and I'm finally taking steps to see it built. Inspired by the broken Halo Ring segment at Outpost Discovery, this will be a completed ring display for 405th booths and photo ops. The file comes from SpartanX360 on Thingiverse, and is broken into 15 segments. Originally designed to be 3D printed at a scale of 3' (1meter), I've since stretched the model to be wider and scaled it's overall size to 10'(3meters). Construction will be of EVA foam, and I plan on adding some miniature model scenery on the inside of the ring. Lights to be added on the interior to shine out of various open areas on the back and sides. All 15 segments will be detachable via magnets for easier transport, cause strapping this to the car roof is probably not an option lol. And one final addition is I hope to build a small platform this will sit on, with a powered roller that will slowly spin the ring for extra effect.

I've had thoughts of naming this after the infamous Installation 04, but maybe I should come up with another unique number (or name like Zeta Halo). Progress will take some time, so do not expect a lot of updates in the early stages. Cause it's literally going to be constructing this same segment 7-8 more times before I take a halfway photo. Materials will be bought over time as well, as I'm estimating this to take 32 sheets of EVA foam and 10-12 pieces of 5mm and 2mm foam. Plus the lights and magnets and other bells and whistles.

Here's a few images of the first segment constructed:
IMG_20240224_174858.jpgIMG_20240224_174920.jpgRing.jpg

P.S. not sure if I'm going to add all the little side details as I've checked the numbers and there's...600 of them!!

This is killer! I can’t wait to see this when it’s finished. Will definitely be a great addition to convention booths and such if that’s what you’re going for!

YOOOOOO this is such a cool idea!!! I can't wait to see it at a future booth!! You're an absolute madlad benton for making a freakin 3 METRE HALO RING!

You're a mad man and I love it, I can't wait to see more, hopefully I get to see the true scale of it at a convention one day!

UPDATE!!
Got a 2nd piece done and wanted to stack them just to see how it'll all fit together. Will need some structural pieces added to the ends to keep them in alignment when combined together. But for now they'll be a bit loosey goosey, as lights will need run first before closing them up. Also, it takes 2 sheets of 10mm EVA and 2 sheets of 5mm foam to make 1 section, and about 10 hours of assembly. So I could have this done as early as June if I pushed for it, but I'm not sure yet. Aiming to have it at least done before Cleveland Gaming Classic in Sept of this year.

Yardstick (1 Meter) for scale. And that's just 2 pieces!!!
IMG_20240307_222015.jpg

Alright now here's a question: Where on earth are you going to store this thing??

Alright now here's a question: Where on earth are you going to store this thing??
It'll break down into 15 or 8 pieces for storage, just depends on how many sections I want to keep it in. Will also make transporting a lot easier. Each piece is only 6 inches tall so when stacked it takes up little space.

UPDATE!!

So I've opted to go for the 'breaks down into 8 pieces' approach for better stability and shape control at the cost of easy storage and transport. I've now gotten 4/15 sections completed meaning we're just over 1/4 of the way there! I've bought some LED strips to test and have a general idea how the wiring will go. At this junction I just need to keep churning out the sections while I wait for a bit warmer weather to start applying the plasti-dip and then paint.

Speaking of paint, does anyone have any good suggestions to get that nice metallic gray the ring has? I'll be doing a spray paint for the main primary color, then following up the highlights with acrylic. I could be a madman and hand paint the whole thing, but that might take me as long as it took to build the darn thing lol. Plus I feel a spray paint will give it more of a nice sheen and pop more under the convention hall lights. Let me know what you think on paint!

433049595_1096218698128073_2757466365598214868_n.jpg

I don't think you've mentioned this quite yet - what are you planning on doing for the inside surface? Printed texture then laminated? backlighting it any?

Edit: i see you talked about putting model scenery on the inside; are you planning on legit building the entire surface that way? like what people do for elaborate model railroad setups with the fake moss stuff?

I don't think you've mentioned this quite yet - what are you planning on doing for the inside surface? Printed texture then laminated? backlighting it any?

Edit: i see you talked about putting model scenery on the inside; are you planning on legit building the entire surface that way? like what people do for elaborate model railroad setups with the fake moss stuff?
Right now I just have the felt for making the basic flat terrain look. Once I see hw it looks I'll decide if it'll look good to have a more scale model appearance. The model trees and such might be way too big to make it look correct.

I can already tell this thing is going to be super imposing when it's done, I can only imagine at a con looking over the booths and still seeing this huge ring.
Still super excited to see how it goes though, don't get me wrong!
Godspeed Benton!

Right now I just have the felt for making the basic flat terrain look. Once I see hw it looks I'll decide if it'll look good to have a more scale model appearance. The model trees and such might be way too big to make it look correct.
Flocking for land area and something for the water

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back