How Do You Guys Feel About Halo 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in a disagreement with some friends about Halo 4. I, personally, did not like the game very much. I felt the soundtrack left much to be desired, the multiplayer isn't what it used to be, among other things.

The story did it in for me, though. To me, it doesn't make sense for the Elites to be back with the Covenant, considering the Prophets instigated a genocide against them, and the only reason they were a part of the Covenant in the first place was to start the Great Journey, which they know isn't real. So, why did they join up again? It also seemed REALLY far-fetched for another war to start immediately after a decades-long war JUST ended.

That being said, how do you guys feel about it, being long-time fans of the series, like myself? If you agree or disagree, let me know!:D

The problem most people tend to forget is if you read the books Glasslands it explains what is going on there is a covie civil war Jul ma'dama is the rebel leader

I agree the multiplayer is not what i use to be but they are trying new things i give them that if it remained the same it would be just like CoD

not only that but allows Thursdays war and the one coming out next year mortal dictate,
which books tell you all about how the new elite rebel leader who he just hated humans and yet he was working with the kilo five team, but was just using him to try and wipe out all the elites by many different ways, one was poisoning their food, the others was starting a civil war, and then jul was taken put in the forerunner world that was onyx kept their until he found a portal mush like the ones from halo 4 to koloe a elite colony that had no idea that the covenant civil war had broken out. that's how he got his fleet and his men.

I dont get to play online much. but from what I have (from 3, Reach, and 4) I dont see what everyone is complaining about, it seems as good as Reach.
those books are great, and explain a lot.
myself personally, thought the game was great, still a great Halo game, soundtrack was a bit hit or miss, some good tracks, some not so much. in that case I still prefer Reach and 3.

Great, now I can't read this thread because you're going to start talking about Glasslands and Thursday's War. I just started reading Glasslands. Oh well.

I haven't read any of the books other than the Halo CE one (think it was called Flood), but given what's been discussed here, the re-forming of the covenant still doesn't make sense to me. Do the books explain why the grunts and jackals haven't just gone their seperate ways? Having been used as nothing more than cannon fodder for the entirety of the human/covenant war, not to mention the general assimilation approach of the Covenant (the whole "join or die" schtick), one would think that they'd be gone at the very first opportunity, and the combination of the end of the human/Covenant war and the exposure of the prophets as liars and frauds would certainly provide that opportunity.

And if it's still going to be the covenant, regardless of all else it would still make far more sense for there to be Brutes rather than Elites, as the Elites were shunned and hunted throughout the entire Covenant. Kinda makes then akin to the whole "man without a country." And if the other Covie races wouldn't work with the Brutes because of the Covenant civil war, that would only make it al lthe more unlikely for there to even BE a Covenant any more. On a side note personally I would have much prefered the Brutes over the Elites because I really miss the Mauler and Chopper. Sure, the scattershot's alright, but it just doesn't have the same look and feel as the Mauler, and there is still yet to be any Halo vehicle as cool as the Chopper.

Gameplay seemed on-par to me, although continuing the whole "no shield bleed-through" and other minor game mechanics from Reach certainly does give it a much different feel compared to the other games (and is one of many reasons why a large number within the Halo community feels that Reach and Halo 4 simply cannot be called Halo games).

Features-wise I'm glad to see the personalization and customization options are expanding more, but I am certainly very ticked off that Theatre mode still only works with multiplayer matchmaking rather than covering ALL available game modes as it did in Halo 3 and Reach. Multiple forgeable maps are also a nice touch, as Reach left me very, very sick of seeing grey absolutely everywhere.

All in all, still a good game, stil very much a Halo game in my mind, but still plenty of room for improvement.

I hate to be a spoiler( Sorry Carpathiavh99) but for those who are confused by the Halo 4 story line all I can say is, read the Kilo Five Trilogy: Glasslands, Thursday War, and the upcoming Mortal Dictate. ( Spoiler alert!! If you havent read either of those then dont read any more of my post) But in the first two books alone the origins of the conflict in Halo 4 are revealed. But as foxleader basically said, the elites as you knew them in Halo 3 have split, the part that follows the Arbiter and want to keep the truce with the humans (though this group is only in the novels and not Halo 4) and the separatists that follow Jul M'Dama who seek to continue the war. Without giving away too much a series of events lead Jul to discover the origins of Requiem and the Didact (and where Halo 4 picks up at) the Grunts as you know them still work for the Elites as farmers an laborers, boring I know, but if answers you want, there you go. The Jackals are basically space pirates/ mercenaries, and in some cases have even assimilated into the human society( Hard to believe, but you have to read the books) This trilogy also reveals the origins and beginnings of the Infinity, Del Rio, Lasky, and the Spartan IV program( dont worry they didnt just pop out of anywhere and into Halo 4) for any looking into the holes that Halo 4 seems to create: the books answer all.

Now as far as online game play goes, I'd say I'm satisfied. Things change sure, but if they didn't you'd simply end up with the same game over and over that just has a different campaign to follow each time through, something that Halo is dangerously close to becoming anyways. To that end I like the advent of the Spartan Ops as I think it shows that 343 is at least trying to keep the Halo series from becoming a copy-paste shoot em' up game and hope that it continues into the next Halo installment. Anyways, this is my two cents !

Certain holes (like Infinity, Lasky, Del Rio, adn the new Spartans) are easy enough to dismiss with the simple matter of Halo 4 taking place several years after Halo 3 (the universe doesn't stand still just because Jon's taking a freezer nap). The whole COvenant thing still just does not seem to make any logical sense, especially when it pertains ot the Elites. Sure, there's the Arbiter and his crew who want to keep the peace. That makes sense given the events of the Halo trilogy et al. But the Elites were hunted by the covenant. ALL of the Elites. It wasn't just the Arbiter and his associates being punished for heresy, this was every single Sangheili in the entire Covenant order being rounded up and executed. Maybe this is jsut me, but wouldn't it take a special breed of retard to want to continue not only along a path that has been proven to be both suicidal and fraudulent, but also under the banner of the people who ordered you to be executed simply for being a Sangheili whether you were smart enoug hto understand that the prophets have been lying or not? Again, maybe this is jsut me, but if I found out the leaders of my religion have been calling a combined mass suicide and universal genocide a "great journey to a higher state of being," I'd be taking the first ticket the hell out of there even if it meant strapping on an EVA suit and taking my chances in free fall and there's not a thing in the universe that would convince me to go back and give it another shot. Once again, it would make more sense for the Brutes to be in Halo 4 than the Elites. The Brutes were weak-minded, guillible, and completely under the prophets' combined thumb inspite of all the evidence that things were not as they should be. For them to continue on in a zealot's persuit of this flawed dogma, and through their inherently violent tactics coerce the smaller species into following with them, that would all make sense from a logical point of view. From my understandign of the Elites and how they came into the Covenant, they were basically forced in like the other species and stayed only because of the deeply ingrained sense of honor, with little to no regard for the religious views. It was simply a matter of "you bested us in combat and we gave our word to serve your order because of it." Sure there was some fanaticism in the early days, but once the truth was out the Elites as a whole very quickly figured out that there was no honor in serving their agreement with manipulative, dishonest madmen.

As I said, you have to read to the Kilo Five trilogy to understand the Elites motivation. The separatists are no longer trying to continue along the path of the "great journey" that the prophets had laid out, they are trying to find a way to continue the war with the humans. Jul M'Dama had found the location of Requiem and the Didact and was searching for them in hopes to find a way to eradicate humanity. The prophets are acknowledged as frauds, and neither the Separatists nor the Elites following the Arbiter are following those ideals, its simply those who seek to keep the peace, and those who still want a war.

ok so ive had xbox live for around 8 years... probably been playing halo for around 9 and for anybody whose played since halo 2 like i have there is no question that the game has changed dramatically.

my dislikes- so my first complaint is the armor for master chief, i don't like how they changed master chiefs armor so much, ie. shoulders. it just feels different in a bad way... he doesn't feel like master chief.
2nd i would have to say the stupid move of removing a ranking system in halo reach and not including it in halo 4... reason- whats the reason to keep playing the game after everyone moves on???, even after fans demanded a competitive 1-50 that fixed the flaws from halo 3, they still didn't (they tried with csr rank but the fact that its not visible in game means nothing...) and to put another twist on that, halo 3 remained popular for around 5 years and people cared so much about getting a 50 that they were willing to pay 10-40 usd for an account with a 50... just let that seep in for a second. that's when you know that your games good!
third would be the changes they made ascetically to the armor (specifically master chief) i don't like the changes, like the old armor, the shoulders where actually shoulders and his armor looked perfect in 2 & 3, just looks non functional in halo 4.

in game i don't like the power ups and weapon drops and sprint, i like the old original halo just gun on gun action that made halo... halo, and not just another metal of honor or call of duty. it just to have some weight behind it when you said halo... and truthfully it hurts to see them change the game formula so much. want dual wielding smg's back... nuff said. didn't like the covenant design, changed them way to much and wish they looked like halo 3 because the grunts look like little monsters?!?! elites look bad and what happened to drones????

overall i will always say my favorite game of all time in halo 2! just miss the good old days!

unfortunately i haven't read any books besides halo the fall of reach and i got to the part where the covenant attack harvest and john faces a hunter for the first time... great character development and so far is one of my favorite books.

for customization! i love all the new armor but i still want a full unlimited color scale and i want to be able to change me feet, shins, legs, arms, hands, separately from one or another, like 2 different feet, 2 different legs. and to add on to that i want to change individual armor pieces color... if i want to look like a rainbow... let me look like a rainbow. and on top of that i want to make my custom armor haha... never going to happen but still have my wishes XD

story line, i really wanted a way for the spirit of fire to work its way into halo 4! but it didn't so i'm still wanting halo wars 2 lol. love the ending how chief loses cortana in halo 4 and she is finally able to touch him and be with him on his level! didn't like how Halsey loses her arm in spartan ops. cant wait to see where the story goes, want to see flood and a new gravemind haha

Although i could barely play halo 4, I do not too much like halo 4's multiplayer, and the campaign is a little off in my opinion. I like how they made master chief talk a lot more though. you could actually sense emotion from him. Also, i don't really like how they made spartan females look anorexic, like they haven't eaten in days. but the overall graphic quality, the variety and upgraded looks on the armor are pretty neat. Thing is, coming from something not made from Bungie, its pretty cool.

SPOILERS FROM KLO FIVE.
kingair983. you are half correct. the new faction. the storm faction as they are called. still believe that the orerunners are godly, and should be worshipped. they also believe that all forerunner artifacts are sacred, and that human kind has defiled them. they gain support from the grunts and jackals that still believe this, and get ships from those who did not know what had happened. (shut out elietes on a colony world).
also most elites still hate us. even those still considered loyal to the arbiter. the brutes are either slaves to the elites, or hostile. and ptetty much, everyone hates everyone else.

SPOILERS FROM KLO FIVE.
kingair983. you are half correct. the new faction. the storm faction as they are called. still believe that the orerunners are godly, and should be worshipped. they also believe that all forerunner artifacts are sacred, and that human kind has defiled them. they gain support from the grunts and jackals that still believe this, and get ships from those who did not know what had happened. (shut out elietes on a colony world).
also most elites still hate us. even those still considered loyal to the arbiter. the brutes are either slaves to the elites, or hostile. and ptetty much, everyone hates everyone else.

Yes and no, you were taking this a bit farther in depth than I was. I was merely trying to explain some of the canon that the Halo 4 game leaves out. While 'Telcam and the first original group of the Storm Faction (admittedly I had forgotten what they were called) believe that the forrunners are godly, this was not a belief that Jul M'Dama himself held, he was simply using them as a means to gather troops and ships he didnt have. "Jul had no faith in gods"- Thursday War page 435. Once he had made it to Kelekos and discovered his wife was dead he merely wanted revenge and is using the forrunner worship as a means to an end, yes the Elites on Kelekos who were to become the storm faction held a reverence for the forrunners but, you have to remember its Jul M'Dama running the show and he only wants revenge, hell its the last line in the book. " Vengence-mostly for Raia, partly for Sanghelios- would be Jul's food, air, and water from now on."

Yep, too many holes in the campaign story. It should not be needed to read all the books to keep up with the story. 4 years napping feels more like 40 yrs! Must say that Halo 4 feels like less Halo game than any other. Reach and ODST were add-ons but still felt Halo and supported the story.

Forge and multiplayer had tiny improvements. But the ranking system and points and loadouts were too complicated together. Rank 41 to unlock the final loadout option?! Takes forever!

Just my opinion but whatever... ;)

well what I've heard is that halo 5 have to deal with stuff from the soon to be out TV series.

My biggest problem with the game was the soundtrack. While it was stirring and epic in a cinematic way, it never got your blood pumping... something Marty excelled at. I def miss the old music. :/

Overall though, I liked it very much. Played well, story flowed well, and it looked AWESOME. And I have no issue with the MP either, especially after the last big fix.

Aside from the warhogs now sounding like thumpy drag racers, I like the game overall. However, I'm not sure about 343's general "Victimizing" of MC. Anybody else know what I mean? Since they took over book production, and continuing into Halo 4's initial cut scene, they are just really pushing the "Poor poor baby kidnapped at 6 and subjected to Dr. Halsey's EVIL plotting to turn him into Humanity's greatest super solder".

I mean, yes, it's cool that we're really getting a feel for the back story, but at the same time, it kinda gives John an almost weak quality. Sure, I suppose, it gives him a bit more humanity, so you don't forget that he's not just a giant machine (as was blatantly stated at the end of the game) but, at the same time, I cant get passed wanting him to be "Human race's greatest achievement"...

Ohh, and Cortana... That is just an evil way to end a game.

All this talk of the events between Halo 3 and 4 is making me wonder if (and hope that) there will be another side-game in the same vein as ODST but focused on the Elites and the post-Covenant war Covenant species. I mean the fans have bee nbegging for an Elite-focused game since Halo 2 put us in control of the Arbiter.

All this talk of the events between Halo 3 and 4 is making me wonder if (and hope that) there will be another side-game in the same vein as ODST but focused on the Elites and the post-Covenant war Covenant species. I mean the fans have bee nbegging for an Elite-focused game since Halo 2 put us in control of the Arbiter.

Halo: kilo-five

the start of sreawing up allies and running a race into a war/ war of the rebels (heck I just want to see a jackal driving a warthog; its in one of the books.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back