Halo 4 Venator Spartan IV "Complete"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: First Build - Venator Spartan suit

@Arcanine
I would really appreciate a link to some of the materials you use, thanks!
I'll definitely check out the MB-Fibreglass store tonight.

Here's a basic shopping list for you - I'll admit, the end total may be a bit pricey, but a lot of these are 'buy-once' products (brushes, the like).

• Acetone. Soak your brushes in this to make it last longer. An acetone batch usually lasts me roughly three resin coats before I have to change; get a jam jar and fill it until the acetone just goes over the metal binder of the brushes.
  • Fibreglass tissue. Much better to work with than chopped strand fibreglass. Easier to cut to a shape, doesn't fall apart like chopped strand does. Either dab resin on with a brush, or soak your cut pieces through before applying.
  • Fibreglass resin. 1kg for £10, though they do batches in other sizes and colours. One 1kg tin usually manages to get me through a full helmet, with some spare, if you're using the resin wisely and not slopping it around and wasting batches. Also comes with hardener and a syringe to measure out your hardener - personally, I use an old needle from a printer refill kit though.
  • Brushes. As long as you're using these wisely and soaking them in acetone between uses, you can make these last as long as you like. I generally find they're good for five or six runs before they become too ragged to use any more

That should do you for a starting kit.

Here's a basic shopping list for you - I'll admit, the end total may be a bit pricey, but a lot of these are 'buy-once' products (brushes, the like).

• Acetone. Soak your brushes in this to make it last longer. An acetone batch usually lasts me roughly three resin coats before I have to change; get a jam jar and fill it until the acetone just goes over the metal binder of the brushes.
  • Fibreglass tissue. Much better to work with than chopped strand fibreglass. Easier to cut to a shape, doesn't fall apart like chopped strand does. Either dab resin on with a brush, or soak your cut pieces through before applying.
  • Fibreglass resin. 1kg for £10, though they do batches in other sizes and colours. One 1kg tin usually manages to get me through a full helmet, with some spare, if you're using the resin wisely and not slopping it around and wasting batches. Also comes with hardener and a syringe to measure out your hardener - personally, I use an old needle from a printer refill kit though.
  • Brushes. As long as you're using these wisely and soaking them in acetone between uses, you can make these last as long as you like. I generally find they're good for five or six runs before they become too ragged to use any more

That should do you for a starting kit.
@Arcanine
Awesome!
Thank you very much for all the links and description to go!
Can't wait to get this project off the ground at last :)

About the fibreglass tissue, Do you have to use that stuff, or will the 180gsm card stock be fine with raw resin mixture on its own?
I've seen Impact Props mention Fibreglass Mats were (optional)
Source: Impact Props - Things you will need

Just for safety usage, what kind of Respirator Filters do you use?

@Arcanine
About the fibreglass tissue, Do you have to use that stuff, or will the 180gsm card stock be fine with raw resin mixture on its own?

You'll need fibreglass. Resin on its own can be fine, if all you're doing is making something to cast it, and you could get away with resin and bondo alone, but generally speaking you're going to want something there to prevent your piece from utterly shattering when/if you drop it, since resin on its own is very brittle and will shatter when facing heavy impacts.

Personally, I give the outside of any piece one light resin coat to firm it up, then a light, even slush on the inside to seal things up, before laying down a layer of fibreglass tissue. As long as you're not glopping the resin on like a madman you'll be able to keep the weight down while still ensuring the structure is rigid. Then again, you'll develop your own preferences as you go, so don't be afraid of experimenting and trying out different ways of doing things. You may not be comfortable with one layer of fibreglass; similarly you may decide that one is enough, or even that you can do without it entirely and layer up on your resin instead.

As for cardstock: if you have a Hobbycraft close by, they sell packs of 100 sheets of 100gsm cardstock for I think £10. Otherwise, previously I bought by bulk online.

Just for safety usage, what kind of Respirator Filters do you use?

Any filter you use needs to be rated to EN14387:2004 - that is, rated for gases and vapours. Personally, I find that B&Q sells a decent one, but please, for the love of all puppies, do some research before buying. Make sure the respirator you're buying has replaceable filters rated appropriately for the job you're doing - again, you want a respirator rated to deal with vapours.

Look around, see what you can find. Remember: filters can be replaced, your lungs can't. If you'd like I can look for some stuff on eBay for you.

@Arcanine
Sorry for taking my time getting back to you, You've been incredibly detailed and helpful, Many Thanks!! :)
I spoke with MB Fibreglass regarding the respirator, they seemed very helpful too, I should have the advised mask in a few days, just got the fibreglass, mats, brush and acetone yesterday.

I'll keep you guys updated on the upcoming progress.

Amour Progress
Venator Helmet "In Progress..."
Venator - Body "Calibrated..."
Venator - Shoulders "Calibrated..."
Outer Plated - Forearms "Pending..."
XG-89 Narrow - Legs "Pending..."

I'm currently looking around for foam pepakura files for the Outer Plated - Forearms and XG-89 Narrow - Legs Sets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good to see you're progressing, ArcTek. If I may make a suggestion - for gluing your Pep form together, I personally use UHU All-Purpose Adhesive. It comes in a yellow box, and you can generally find tubes of it in any DIY/home section in Poundland or something. Also, a sharp craft knife and a cutting board may come in handy - I'm using a generic craft knife with snap-off blades from B&Q, and a white plastic chopping board from Wilko's as my cutting board.

As for your other request:

I'm currently looking around for foam pepakura files for the Outer Plated - Forearms and XG-89 Narrow - Legs Sets.

I don't personally know of any foam sets for either of those files, BUT - Master Builder has a complete set of reworked Outer Plated forearms HERE, and I have the raw game-ripped file for the XG-89 Narrow legs, which I'm sure you could find somebody willing to clean up and make into a Pepakura or foam-ready file.

If you need anything at all, please let me know and I'll try to get it for you! Good luck with your build, Spartan!

@Arcanine
The Resin you recommended is working well, might need to use more hardener in future with the cold temperatures, I ended up drying the helmet with a heatgun.
"Photo Inbound"

After checking out some details at Impact Props, I might need to get some body filler.

I've already got most, if not all of the equipment for the EVA foam.
I found that using really sharp scissors does a great job on cutting the foam and a blade is handy for taking out the smaller hard to get to bits.
We already have a high temp glue gun with spare high temp sticks, I believe you can use them for the foam construction.

Thanks for the files and suggestion.
I might have a look into learning how to unfold files.

might need to use more hardener in future with the cold temperatures

We've barely risen above 10C since November. This isn't what I'd call a 'suitable' climate for resin work - though, if you have a ventilated garage you can put a space heater into, that might make things better for you.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

@Arcanine
Where I live hasn't been any warmer than 5c for the last few weeks.
We have a garage, but we are only renting / living here for a short time, the garage has other equipment the family uses sometimes, so for their safety I've got the outdoors.

Low temperature out door solution
I have a solution with the cold temperature that seems to have worked well so far, Brushing a moderate amount of heat slowly over the fibreglass resin a hands length away with a heatgun helps the curing process, the result is pretty good.

First Resin Application
venator-0007.jpg
Looks wet, but its bone dry and solid.

Some of the PVA holding the card stock together came loose when applying the resin, I should be able to fix this with a touch of super glue.
It might be noticeable in the photo.

Not looking bad at all, though I see some sagging and warping at the top of your build that should have been addressed during the assembly phase.

Other than that, it's looking good for your first throw through! Well done!

@Arcanine
Thanks!
I've still got two layers of Fibreglass including the mat, then there's body filler to still be applied after that, hopefully that area can be fixed before I get to those stages.

Sorry I have't made an update in a while, I was also at the LSCC "London Super Comic con a few weeks ago and just got back recently.

Over the last two days I have been applying body filler to the venator helmet and sanding it down.
The helmet should only require slight detail fills and light sanding before the next process.

Body Filler Progress
venator-0008.jpgvenator-0009.jpgvenator-0010.jpg

I've been holding off working with EVA since it arrived back in March, I've been worried about messing up, Recently I just went ahead and hoped for the best, This is the first time I've worked with EVA foam...
Everything seems to have gone better than expected, all I have to do now is I recently finished the chest piece of the armour set, Just need to get some Velcro to hold the straps in place.
Update!
venator-0011.jpgvenator-0012.jpgvenator-0013.jpgvenator-0014.jpg

Yesterday was my first time taking a crack at EVA foam. It turned out being much more forgiving that I had expected. If you haven't already, I'd recommend that you take a look at Spacemeat's video tutorials on working with EVA. The info therein was invaluable to me.

Hey 405th'ers
Sorry for the extreme delay in posts, life's been keeping me occupied away from the build.

Current Progression
Thigh Pads "Almost Done
Wrist Pads "Almost Done
Chest Piece "Almost Done

Venator-0017.jpgVenator-0019.jpgVenator-0022.jpg

Looking for some Help!
I've hit a brick wall a while ago, I've been trying to find a solution to connecting the back panel of my helmet and connecting the side clips of my chest piece.
Any solutions or advice would be welcome, thanks.

- Venator Helmet
The helmet back panel is necessary for the helmet to slot onto my head as the hole is to small.
I have no idea what the best solution for this would be.
Venator-0015.jpgVenator-0016.jpg

Venator Chest Piece
I've so far tried using velcro to keep the side connections attached , with little success, the velcro becomes detached and falls off after several light uses, in one case ripped the eva foam.
Venator-0020.jpgVenator-0021.jpg

Venator-0017.jpg

Venator-0019.jpg

Venator-0015.jpg

Venator-0020.jpg

Venator-0021.jpg

Venator-0016.jpg

Venator-0022.jpg

Wow that looks great! You've really done a great job love the Helmet!

Wow that looks great! You've really done a great job love the Helmet!

Thanks, Sadly I've had to redo the entire helmet as it doesn't fit "trying to get the back panel on"

Dang that stinks, hope the best for you

The other problem I've had is getting the back panel / plate to attach "clip on" in some way, not sure what the best way to go around that would be.
Currently the back of my head is still exposed....

The other problem I've had is getting the back panel / plate to attach "clip on" in some way, not sure what the best way to go around that would be.
Currently the back of my head is still exposed....

I've seen people use high-strength magnets. A non-mechanical attachment (clip, etc) probably isn't the best way to go about things since it'll be difficult to get your hands in there to unbuckle the back panel if you're in a hurry.

If you're feeling fruity, you could create a small guidance rail out of some aluminium dowel and have a magnetic system to secure the helmet in place? With that method there's little risk of the back panel flopping off and away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back