Question: How to resize a model specific to your person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WandererTJ

I know how to scale a model, that is not why I am here.

I recently tried to put together a forearm from Reach out of foam using a template, and I managed to get the length of it perfect, but unfortunately, I can almost fit both my arms inside the armor piece... it's huge.

I don't want to just make it smaller, that would make it so that it won't look right, because too much undersuit would show.

So I was hoping you all could give me some advice/tips/help on how to adjust the model so that it is sized personally for an individual (me)!
:)

(Fyi, I'm incredibly bad at Blender)

Except it's not...
I know how to scale, I'm asking for tips on modifying the model.
Scaling via that tutorial does XYZ simultaneously.

I'm trying to decide whether or not using Blender to scale XY only while leaving Z alone will deform it too much, or if I should avoid that and try to modify the model through other means.

I believe the height, width, and depth proportions are locked in Pepakura Designer so you cannot scale any one those dimensions independently of the other two with that program. If scaling the entire model won't suffice then I think your best option would be to modify the model itself in a program such as Blender before exporting it back out to Pepakura Designer.

I understand that Blender may not be your forte. Another option would be to modify the template by free-hand. I assume you printed the template which consisted of parts that you then transferred to and cut out of the foam material. You could scale the template to fit better around your forearm (which you note above would leave more forearm exposed than desired) and then add length to the parts that run along major axis dimension to essentially stretch the model. This may or may not be easy depending on the template and will probably involve some trial and error.

Either method involves distorting the proportions of the original model (which is most likely made to match the game). You will have to decide where those distortions are made based on your preferences. Do you stretch the entire model or just portions of it to gain extra length?

I hope this gives you some idea of how you may wish to proceed. Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the insight. Definitely gives me some things to consider.

You guys can hit the spoiler to see what I'm working with.
Looks amazing in the mirror pic, the length is perfect.
But in the 2nd pic... yeah.... :wacko

2.jpg
2015-04-28 22.44.08.jpg

Maybe that's just how it should be... I'm just worried I'll look extremely blocky and ill-proportioned in the end.

I use Autodesk Maya to Scale and Proportion my parts. Typically I export all of my pepakura files as .objs and then import them into a scene.

I like using it because Maya (through its transformation Routine) lets me place parts on a 3d human model that is pretty much my size, view how they look relative to each other, AND rescale these parts Disproportionately. For instance, In the Iron man picture below, I've stretched the Abs and cod vertically to cover the extra abdominal space while also making the thigh shorter while maintaining its width and depth. This also helps to see how much clearance & fit i should expect as well.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

The reason I'm here promoting Maya instead of blender is that through transforming (ctrl+T) I'm able to click and drag to redimension a model or warp it intuitively. Furthermore, I can assign different transparencies as shown above so I know exactly how a model should fit.

I'm hoping to make it even more accurate later on by grabbing a 3d scan of myself from a scanner booth or something like that at a con or something. I hope this helped you, I know scaling can and always will be a bitch...

EDIT: Also I'm not sure if your pictures are working... Im not sure if mine are either then as well lol this new forum format is wierd

Your pictures are working fine!
I just relinked mine in case they weren't working through Dropbox, they appeared for me, but maybe they didn't appear for you.

So what I think I might end up doing is messing around with the highlighted region while keeping everything else proportioned correctly:
Forearm Stretch.png

Not sure if I can do much with the model, but I'm sure there is some sort of "Proportional Stretching" that might work.

I think for the my next foam model, I'll print it more towards the size of the diameter of my arm, and either I'll take the highlighted pieces and just make stretched versions of the templates, or I'll just add a set of extension pieces onto the back.

If I was good at modeling, I'd try to scrunch in the bottom of the forearm a bit (which is at the left in this picture) so that there isn't as large of a gap between the bottom and top halves.

Idk, I guess I'll just see what happens...

I did try my current piece on with an entire T-shirt wrapped around my forearm, and it filled in the gap, but the piece still seemed a bit larger than it should have. I did feel better about it though!

You could just glue in a few squares of soft, open-cell foam to keep it centered on you, adjustable spacers.

Sometimes it's good to have that extra space to help with getting it on and off. Especially depending on what you will be wearing under it. You need to take all that into account. ;) That 2nd pic you showed of the space between your arm and the armor piece does NOT look that bad at all. I've had WAY worse than that! LOL

I'm with HaloGoddess. It looks like a good amount of space for adding pads and getting the piece on and off. If you still want to re-scale, that's up to you.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
So my first piece was a test piece anyways, just wanted to get some practice in.
It is literally the first piece I've ever made. (Member since 2010... :popcorn)
Seems like knowledge and experience are definitely two very different things!

The next time I do the forearm, I'll be using a different model, and if it turns out good, I'll have a lovely new model to post into the database and will hopefully be able to do a writeup on how I assembled it and I'll probably trace out all the foamies I'll attach a scan of the traces so that others can use it as a template.

For now though, I'm stuck on a decision on what to use for the bicep, feel free to weigh in!
(NOTE: Both models are by Forged Reclaimer)

Bicep Measurements:

Actual Arm:
Upperarm Length (Ventral): 6.8in = 172.72mm (Approximated measurement taken while referencing in-game model in neutral stance)
Upperarm Length (Lateral): 7.2in = 182.88mm (Approximated measurement taken while referencing in-game model in neutral stance)

Bicep Diameter Flexed (Wide): 4.500 = 114.30mm
Bicep Diameter Flexed (Thick): 3.275 = 83.185mm

Bicep Diameter Un-Flexed (Wide): 4.000 = 101.60mm
Bicep Diameter Un-Flexed (Thick): 3.225 = 81.915mm

Male Model: (Scale = 0.211482)
Upperarm Length (Ventral): 172.72mm
Upperarm Length (Lateral): 172.16mm

Top Opening (Wide): 123.40mm
Top Opening (Thick): 90.14mm

Bottom Opening (Wide): 83.04mm
Bottom Opening (Thick): 70.16mm

Female Model: (Scale = 0.228781)