crackhead09's Body Filler & Spot Putty Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackhead09

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
well here it is as promised sorry if it isnt good because i wasnt too sure what to put in it.

I hope this helps out anyone new

Last edited by a moderator:
well i guess it isnt too bad to be shelling out tutorials before the heat starts so most people will get the idea of what to do

very good point

The only thing that i would have done is put both tut on one topic so it make looking for them alot easier

EDIT: And i see a nice use for my old gamestop cards

i will on the last tutorial I'll do to completing a helmet which leaves i dunno 4 more tutorials

Okay, two quick questions:

1) A: Is spot putty made by Bondo?
B: Does spot putty come with body filler?
2) How much should you sand with the 100 grit sand paper- it was sped up so I couldn't really tell, and there wasn't a close-up or anything.

Great tutorial, I think I'll start cutting out my pep sheets now (recon shoulder).

cholo71796 said:
Okay, two quick questions:

1) A: Is spot putty made by Bondo?
B: Does spot putty come with body filler?
2) How much should you sand with the 100 grit sand paper- it was sped up so I couldn't really tell, and there wasn't a close-up or anything.

Great tutorial, I think I'll start cutting out my pep sheets now (recon shoulder).

1. i believe so
2. spot putty is bought seperate
3. just sand enough to get rid of little imperfections but too deep where you hit paper

and get to work on your shoulder!
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
a few things:
1st:
the amount to bondo you used is a good amount when putting layer(s) on but I suject only to use 1/2 to 1 inch line for that amount b/c like CH09 said it hardens very, very fast. another amount people might try is this: 4inch diameter circle, 1/2-5/8inch thick with a dime(USD$) size spot of hardener. i found that this amount had about 3-4 minutes of working time and 10 cure time.

2nd:
i would suggest putting on thin layers, sanding with 100-200 grit (like CH09 said), and repeat this until you built up a 1/16 to 1/4inch layer (thicker layers were you need them). by layering, sanding, layering, sanding, several times, pin holes become very hard to find. spot putty doesn't dry very hard and is only meant for tiny air bubbles. only once you have the bondo smooth (like finished smooth) then sand with a high grit sand paper.

3rd:
Putting the bondo on cardboard is a great idea since it a cheap (and free). a better way to mix bondo is the getting the bondo mixing scrappers (they're pink). they are designed to work with bondo so when you are done and the bondo dry it just cracks off.

4th:
One suggestion might be to wear gloves when you bondo.

5th:
Primeing your pep after you fiberglass is another great idea that I have done as well. grey primer i think shows up flaws more so you can see where you really need to sand/fix but black will do fine too. the thing about autoprimer is that it is also a filler so it will help smooth out your part.

other than that good basic tut. could use a little more edit time to make it a little shorter and to the point.
also if people use a higher detail model (HD) the less bondo you need overall.

thanks for explaining that kinda hard to show in a video.

i used a old gift card which worked just like a spreader and when you bend it, the bondo does crack off but yes spreaders are better
wearing gloves is definitly something someone should do
and i had a hard time editing this video and showing people what to do for bondo because there's not alot to explain about it other than what you learn from experimenting and thank you for posting that

your the most productive crackhead i've ever met.

another awesome tutorial...

*sigh* what happened to the good old days of box-like polygonal models....

Well the next tutorial will be a more of of the little stuff that really isnt explained such as spray painting correctly, padding, adding a visor, lights, and anything else but that video may not come here for about a month

I would just add...

If you apply primer, and sand it with a 800-1000 grit paper before you start painting, you'll get a much better finish.
I actually wet sand my bondo and primer jobs.

I like the part "I got a respirator now" ^^

Good job! Maybe also a tutorial about trimming (visor and the hole to put the head) would help out noobs too.

getting to work on that soon maybe this weekend. I'm releasing the vids as i make progress with the helmet

oh and thanks mods for pinning this its an honor

Like Jedi said I think you are using way too much hardener for that. Use about 1/4 to 1/2 of that. But great tutorial. Its going to help alot of people who have never used the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back