110Lbs Cardstock ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most cardstock around 110 lb work spectacularly, regular paper is far too flimsy to even withstand the resin process.

You could always try experimenting to see what works for you though.

You're going to want thick cardstock, so 110lbs is perfect. The lower the number, the flimsier it gets.

you CAN use just about anything that can go through a printer. but 110, being the heaviest, is less likely to warp, or turn to a nice pile of goo when you get to the resin and fiberglass stage of your build. when you spend as long as it takes to make all these pieces, you REALLY don't want to get to the resin stage and then have all your hard work ruined, forcing you to start over do you ? if the answer is no, then go with 110 card stock. its your best chance of preventing an 'epic fail' (AKA warping, or goo-ification). though you CAN print the pieces out on normal paper, cut them out, and then trace them onto cardboard, and then cut the card board out and then resin and fiberglass that too... i have seen some people use that method on here once or twice.

O.T.

kolinrulz said:
your kidding 110 pounds i say 67 but whatever

well its the difference between saying "well that should be good enough" and "i have done everything i can to prevent it" like i said, you COULD use just about anything that will fit through the printer, but why take the risk with something that you put so much time and energy into ? mind you, i'm REALLY lazy, so i'm for sure always going to say use the thickest stuff you can find so that you don't run the risk of having to re-do everything. (short term pain, for long term LESS pain and all that jazz haha)

Last edited by a moderator:
Outlaw-Tiger said:
you CAN use just about anything that can go through a printer. but 110, being the heaviest, is less likely to warp, or turn to a nice pile of goo when you get to the resin and fiberglass stage of your build. when you spend as long as it takes to make all these pieces, you REALLY don't want to get to the resin stage and then have all your hard work ruined, forcing you to start over do you ? if the answer is no, then go with 110 card stock. its your best chance of preventing an 'epic fail' (AKA warping, or goo-ification). though you CAN print the pieces out on normal paper, cut them out, and then trace them onto cardboard, and then cut the card board out and then resin and fiberglass that too... i have seen some people use that method on here once or twice.

O.T.

Ok well I'm jobless and have little to no money at the time. And most of the time my money usually goes towards everyone else happiness but mine :(

so if someone is willing to lend me a hand with obtaining some 110 cardstock then that would be sweeeet!!!! >_<

Queen said:
You're going to want thick cardstock, so 110lbs is perfect. The lower the number, the flimsier it gets.

Cool thanks I saw you on youtube, But to my dismay I am poor at the moment and I need some help getting said 110 lbs cardstock

i used to use 67lbs but switched to 110 lbs just for that added strength. i would NEVER use regular paper unless you really dont care how your armor is going to turn out, however, if this is the cade, i hope you dont mind waisting a lot of money.

Ghost147 said:
i used to use 67lbs but switched to 110 lbs just for that added strength. i would NEVER use regular paper unless you really dont care how your armor is going to turn out, however, if this is the cade, i hope you dont mind waisting a lot of money.

Could I make it with regular paper then cover it in Ducted tape ?????

Stephen Moats said:

NO, are you even planning to resin/fiberglass your armor?

I making my first armor and up to fiberglassing and dont make my mistake

making THE WRONG MODEL i made the old odst instead of the rookie odst and its turning out badly....

They sell 110lb cardstock at walmart. It's like 5 bucks for 300 sheets I think? It's really not altogether unreasonable for the benefits you get from using it. You could probably get away with 80lb...maybe even 60...but the way I look at it is this:

Pepping up a model (especially a nice one) takes a decent amount of time/effort. If you're going to have to buy paper anyway (which you will because regular printer paper will warp like crazy when you resin it) you may as well spend the extra couple bucks to make sure that your pep model will survive the resin in good order. Besides, paper isn't exactly priced based on its weight (ie a ream of 110lb stock isn't always going to cost more than 60 or 80 lb)

Honestly though (and I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh or anything) but if you don't have the money to buy the 110lb cardstock at the moment, I would put the project on hold. Building armor isn't exactly a cheap hobby and if you cut corners for the sake of thriftiness it will show with your finished piece. If money is an issue now but you still really want to do this, then what I'd do is buy the cardstock you'll need and pep up all your armor pieces (shouldn't be more than 10-15 bucks worth of cardstock and hot glue), then attack it with fiberglass/resin when your budget allows you to.

As far as someone "helping you out" in terms of getting the paper: With how much a ream of 110lb cardstock weighs it would be more economical for you to go out to the store and buy some than for someone to mail it to you. Shipping would be more than the cost of the paper. Cardstock is literally the cheapest part of these projects.

Kazyole said:
They sell 110lb cardstock at walmart. It's like 5 bucks for 300 sheets I think? It's really not altogether unreasonable for the benefits you get from using it. You could probably get away with 80lb...maybe even 60...but the way I look at it is this:

Pepping up a model (especially a nice one) takes a decent amount of time/effort. If you're going to have to buy paper anyway (which you will because regular printer paper will warp like crazy when you resin it) you may as well spend the extra couple bucks to make sure that your pep model will survive the resin in good order. Besides, paper isn't exactly priced based on its weight (ie a ream of 110lb stock isn't always going to cost more than 60 or 80 lb)

Honestly though (and I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh or anything) but if you don't have the money to buy the 110lb cardstock at the moment, I would put the project on hold. Building armor isn't exactly a cheap hobby and if you cut corners for the sake of thriftiness it will show with your finished piece. If money is an issue now but you still really want to do this, then what I'd do is buy the cardstock you'll need and pep up all your armor pieces (shouldn't be more than 10-15 bucks worth of cardstock and hot glue), then attack it with fiberglass/resin when your budget allows you to.

As far as someone "helping you out" in terms of getting the paper: With how much a ream of 110lb cardstock weighs it would be more economical for you to go out to the store and buy some than for someone to mail it to you. Shipping would be more than the cost of the paper. Cardstock is literally the cheapest part of these projects.

Ahh ok thank you for the info

Stephen Moats said:

oh god no!

Ok, listen. If you want to make any have decent looking armor, your going to spend at least $100 and probably 60 days of work MINIMUM! If your looking to make something in an hour and under $10. use Ducted tape and regular paper. It only costs $8-$16 for 67lb and 110lb card stock. it costs another $20-$30 for fiberglass resin and another $3-$5 for fiberglass cloth. All those things will make sure you get really good looking armor. but this isn't a quick 1 day job. you actually have to make a lot of dedication towards this. lots of people who have fairly good full suits sell them up to $3000! you couldnt do that if you didnt put virtually any effort in making it.

I can guarantee that if you use regular paper and duct tape your armor is going to look pretty bad. But! if that's what your aiming for, then by all means do it. But if you want something really good looking, durable, and mildly professional, bring out your wallet and drop $100-$300

Oh, and don't skimp on the respirator! The 30 bucks you'll pay for one will pay off when you don't have lung cancer later in life.

Kazyole said:
Oh, and don't skimp on the respirator! The 30 bucks you'll pay for one will pay off when you don't have lung cancer later in life.

or you could get aqua resin. comes without the fumes and junk.

Let's not forget strapping, buckles, and undersuit, plus paint. But back on topic. Yeah go with the 110lb card stock. It'll save you time in the end but if you want to use regular paper in the mean time you can always use it for practice and practice does make better with pepakura. Goodluck with your project.

Ghost147 said:
oh god no!

Ok, listen. If you want to make any have decent looking armor, your going to spend at least $100 and probably 60 days of work MINIMUM! If your looking to make something in an hour and under $10. use Ducted tape and regular paper. It only costs $8-$16 for 67lb and 110lb card stock. it costs another $20-$30 for fiberglass resin and another $3-$5 for fiberglass cloth. All those things will make sure you get really good looking armor. but this isn't a quick 1 day job. you actually have to make a lot of dedication towards this. lots of people who have fairly good full suits sell them up to $3000! you couldnt do that if you didnt put virtually any effort in making it.

I can guarantee that if you use regular paper and duct tape your armor is going to look pretty bad. But! if that's what your aiming for, then by all means do it. But if you want something really good looking, durable, and mildly professional, bring out your wallet and drop $100-$300

Ok thank you for the advise and today I bought my cardstock paper 110 lbs at Walmart for like $5.98 and I am not doing the whole armor just the Helmet due to the fact that I do not have that much time on my hands due too school and I thought about just doing a helmet because I like how the Halo 3 O.D.S.T helmet looks but I'm also thinking about doing the Assualt Rifle as well but thats only a possibility at this point in time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back