110Lbs Cardstock ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me say this bluntly and get it out of the way: if you're concerned with finances, this is not the hobby for you. The cost will VERY quickly rise into the hundreds of dollars, along with hundreds of hours, so unless you have some extra cash that you don't need, you will most likely end up junking the project halfway through.

If you aren't concerned with finances, though, then go to Wal-Mart in the office supplies section, and look for a ream of 150 pages of 110lb cardstock. It's around $6-$7, and will last you a decent amount of time. If you have a Staples or OfficeMax near you, even better, you can get 250 sheets for about $10-$12.

Don't try to take shortcuts with armor making, you will lose many hours of work because of it. Buy the cardstock, glue, etc., build a piece, then continue on as outlined in the tutorials. If you're apprehensive to even start your project, you will not finish. The pepakura process is the tip of the iceberg and is a tiny fraction of the total cost of a full suit or helmet.

Not trying to sound rude, just laying it out straight so you can decide without all of the frilly, cute, positive connotations. If you need any help, feel free to PM me with questions :)

I'm trying to think of ways for you to save money on this without a reduction of quality and here's what I've come up with (just so you have an idea of what you're getting yourself into should you choose to get into it)

Paper (110lb cardstock from Walmart) $6 for 150 sheets: To give you an idea of how long that will last you, FS's HD MK VI helmet takes about 30 pages to pep

Fiberglass resin+liquid hardener: $15-$20 for a quart which should be more than enough to get started

Respirator: $30 if you don't know someone who has one already. Either borrow one or buy one but you absolutely need to get this if you're going to be using resin (unless you plan on using aqua resin which is non toxic but ultimately more expensive)

Gloves (Don't get the resin or fiberglass on your hands) Price varies...but chances are you have a suitable pair somewhere around

Fiberglass mat or cloth: (about $5-$6 per yard) Buy a couple yards worth

Bondo for smoothing the exterior surfaces: $10

Cheap brushes: couple bucks for a whole bunch at any art store or at walmart. You'll go through quite a few of these

Spray Paint: Probably going to spend $15-$20 on spraypaint depending on how complex you want the paint job to be

If you're fiberglass/resin shy and want to go non-toxic (so you don't need the respirator) you can do aqua resin (to replace your resin and your bondo) and either Frost's hot glue method or layering smoothcast 300 plastic on the inside to replace the fiberglass. Regular fiberglass resin does end up being a bit cheaper than aqua resin though assuming that you can beg/borrow a respirator.

Plus, then when you're done you still need to buy a visor for the helmet, strapping/padding so you can wear the armor, whatever you're going to use for your undersuit, and electronics (if you plan on putting lights in the helmet like many people do).

The cost adds up quick. It's not a cheap hobby to have.

Kazyole said:
I'm trying to think of ways for you to save money on this without a reduction of quality and here's what I've come up with (just so you have an idea of what you're getting yourself into should you choose to get into it)

Paper (110lb cardstock from Walmart) $6 for 150 sheets: To give you an idea of how long that will last you, FS's HD MK VI helmet takes about 30 pages to pep

Fiberglass resin+liquid hardener: $15-$20 for a quart which should be more than enough to get started

Respirator: $30 if you don't know someone who has one already. Either borrow one or buy one but you absolutely need to get this if you're going to be using resin (unless you plan on using aqua resin which is non toxic but ultimately more expensive)

Gloves (Don't get the resin or fiberglass on your hands) Price varies...but chances are you have a suitable pair somewhere around

Fiberglass mat or cloth: (about $5-$6 per yard) Buy a couple yards worth

Bondo for smoothing the exterior surfaces: $10

Cheap brushes: couple bucks for a whole bunch at any art store or at walmart. You'll go through quite a few of these

Spray Paint: Probably going to spend $15-$20 on spraypaint depending on how complex you want the paint job to be

If you're fiberglass/resin shy and want to go non-toxic (so you don't need the respirator) you can do aqua resin (to replace your resin and your bondo) and either Frost's hot glue method or layering smoothcast 300 plastic on the inside to replace the fiberglass. Regular fiberglass resin does end up being a bit cheaper than aqua resin though assuming that you can beg/borrow a respirator.

Plus, then when you're done you still need to buy a visor for the helmet, strapping/padding so you can wear the armor, whatever you're going to use for your undersuit, and electronics (if you plan on putting lights in the helmet like many people do).

The cost adds up quick. It's not a cheap hobby to have.

Ok from what I'm come to think of what I'm going to do I'm going to Pep it first right now and then when I get enough money I will buy a respirator, resin/fiberglass.

Right now I am just taking this one step at a time I understand that it is an expensive hobby and I understand that it doesn't take a day to complete the whole thing. Thats why I'm getting into it so I can have time to myself to do something that I will be able to show off and say "Hey I made it and there is only one that has my uniqe style." thats what I want to get out of doing this

Last edited by a moderator:
ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Let me say this bluntly and get it out of the way: if you're concerned with finances, this is not the hobby for you. The cost will VERY quickly rise into the hundreds of dollars, along with hundreds of hours, so unless you have some extra cash that you don't need, you will most likely end up junking the project halfway through.

If you aren't concerned with finances, though, then go to Wal-Mart in the office supplies section, and look for a ream of 150 pages of 110lb cardstock. It's around $6-$7, and will last you a decent amount of time. If you have a Staples or OfficeMax near you, even better, you can get 250 sheets for about $10-$12.

Don't try to take shortcuts with armor making, you will lose many hours of work because of it. Buy the cardstock, glue, etc., build a piece, then continue on as outlined in the tutorials. If you're apprehensive to even start your project, you will not finish. The pepakura process is the tip of the iceberg and is a tiny fraction of the total cost of a full suit or helmet.

Not trying to sound rude, just laying it out straight so you can decide without all of the frilly, cute, positive connotations. If you need any help, feel free to PM me with questions :)

Ok I understand where you are coming from and I just want to make it clear I am doing this as a long term project since I am unemployeed at the moment I am just going off of what I make from doing chores and helping my grandpa around his house. The reason why I was just asking the question was because I wasn't sure on what was manditory and what wasn't and seeing since everyone is hoping on my nuts about this simple question. I figured it out. I am still going to do it but I'm just going to do the helmet. But I will take the process one little step at a time. As in first getting the paper(Which I got this morning.) and then when I finish with pepping it wait till next year to start on the resin/fiberglass, I have pleny of painting resperaitors so that would be a problem.

C'Mon! This is ridicilous (no offense) 2 pages for a simple question which have been answered in the Stickies a billion times?

This is a waste of server memory.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Let me say this bluntly and get it out of the way: if you're concerned with finances, this is not the hobby for you.

Oh I disagree strongly!!.

Ream of card = £4.00

Wood glue = £1.00 (from Poundland/Dollar store)

Sandpaper = £1.00(from Poundland/Dollar store)

Fibreglass repair kit X2 = £15

Bodyfiller/Bondo = £10.

So that £31, which is roughly $50 and a great deal of effort to make an amazing helmet. Please try not to scare noobs to the hobby with $$$$ signs, this hobby is as expensive as you wish to make it.

My advice would be to buy the ream of card and glue and build a great helmet first, then go and buy the other stuff if you think it's a keeper. If you make it to the end of the pepping, you'll be in it for the long haul and get to bask in the glory of posting 'WOW!' pictures here. :)

Rebostar said:
Oh I disagree strongly!!.

Ream of card = £4.00

Wood glue = £1.00 (from Poundland/Dollar store)

Sandpaper = £1.00(from Poundland/Dollar store)

Fibreglass repair kit X2 = £15

Bodyfiller/Bondo = £10.

So that £31, which is roughly $50 and a great deal of effort to make an amazing helmet. Please try not to scare noobs to the hobby with $$$$ signs, this hobby is as expensive as you wish to make it.

My advice would be to buy the ream of card and glue and build a great helmet first, then go and buy the other stuff if you think it's a keeper. If you make it to the end of the pepping, you'll be in it for the long haul and get to bask in the glory of posting 'WOW!' pictures here. :)

Thank you so much man it really makes me feel good that someone understands where I'm coming from. Why does everyone have to think that I don't know what I'm taking about :unsure

I spent $40 on my helmet. It really shows. Paper mache stuff is horribly cheap at the cost of aesthetics...unless you go slower than ten grannies and can actually afford a visor. :/

Queen said:
I spent $40 on my helmet. It really shows. Paper mache stuff is horribly cheap at the cost of aesthetics...unless you go slower than ten grannies and can actually afford a visor. :/

haha ok

as a Idea, I went to a local recycle place in town, everyone brings in there news papers, magazines, Paper stuff.. Well as we went to drop off all our old news papers, I found a Box of heavy folders, "a few Hundred in the box" So I took them home and cut them down to the same size as my printer paper :) The only problem is its so thick I need to stand there and load 1 sheet at a time, But if you look at my Pics I posted you can see the hand plates and right bicep made from them folders. Then I found the Glue buy one get one for $1.50 ,, So 4-5 months from now I might be ready for the resin.

I hope that idea Might help If you need More paper for the full Armor

Quad187 said:
as a Idea, I went to a local recycle place in town, everyone brings in there news papers, magazines, Paper stuff.. Well as we went to drop off all our old news papers, I found a Box of heavy folders, "a few Hundred in the box" So I took them home and cut them down to the same size as my printer paper :) The only problem is its so thick I need to stand there and load 1 sheet at a time, But if you look at my Pics I posted you can see the hand plates and right bicep made from them folders. Then I found the Glue buy one get one for $1.50 ,, So 4-5 months from now I might be ready for the resin.

I hope that idea Might help If you need More paper for the full Armor

Another idea for that, which is what I do when I don't have larger sheets, is to print the pep stuff on regular paper and glue that to the cardboard folders. That way you can use heavier than normal card and not have to worry about printer jams :)

Belakor said:
Another idea for that, which is what I do when I don't have larger sheets, is to print the pep stuff on regular paper and glue that to the cardboard folders. That way you can use heavier than normal card and not have to worry about printer jams :)

That is a Idea! thankx, I will use that idea when I build my Big Pelican.

Oh. another possible way to make things more lower cost is I had a guy at a local car shop tell me to use old T-shirts in-place of the fibber mat, I will try that out on my Junk hand plate first just to see how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back