1st Build Hopeful

ChuckDaPirate

Hey Guys,

Brand new to this whole domain. Me and my roommate are at the start of our journey of becoming Spartans.

Been scouring the tutorials and info here for a couple weeks, tons of great resources.

Still in the planning phase, deciding between Pep and 3D print, thinking 3D print because that makes it harder for my fat fingers to mess it up.

Anyway, thought I’d reach out to see if anyone has any tips on the traps im going to fall into or anything at all.

FWIW, we are looking at having some electrical work involved. Peltier cooling system for the torso and fans for the helmet, speakers, mic, comms in the helmet, lights. Probably looking at a very complex undersuit to hide all the wiring, cooling tubes, and hopefully attachment points for the plates.

Wish us luck!

Im here! Im the roommate! Thats me on the build bed! Jk, profile pic is what our first print currently looks like and we are looking forward to the progress of building our suits. Gonna be a fun adventure learning new skills and using new technology while doing something weve dreamed of since we were kids playing Halo!

Little progress update on our first helmet. This little printer is putting in some work. Layers seems to have good adhesion and theres minimal stringing which is good so far. Cant wait!

Attachments

• IMG_6965.jpeg
    IMG_6965.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6968.jpeg
    IMG_6968.jpeg
    976.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6970.jpeg
    IMG_6970.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Wow this sounds like an exciting build! I'm very interested in all of those electronics you're implementing. It will be fascinating to see how all of that comes together.

I attempted a peltier cooling system at one point for fursuit use; it’s gonna be a pretty difficult ordeal. Not only do you add the weight of the peltier exchange system but also, if you’re planning on using liquid cooling, the weight of the entire system’s worth of coolant/water. I’d say a liter or two?

Sure it will be spread out pretty evenly but even then 2L of water alone is 2kg/4.4lb.

Then you have to figure out batteries to power the pump AND peltier units, which if I recall the peltier plates take a decent amount of power and don’t bode well for battery-powering for very long with a fairly hefty battery.

My designs never got off the drawing board for that, but I seriously hope you overcome that and make something that works! Super excited to see the progress on that!

I attempted a peltier cooling system at one point for fursuit use; it’s gonna be a pretty difficult ordeal. Not only do you add the weight of the peltier exchange system but also, if you’re planning on using liquid cooling, the weight of the entire system’s worth of coolant/water. I’d say a liter or two?

Sure it will be spread out pretty evenly but even then 2L of water alone is 2kg/4.4lb.

Then you have to figure out batteries to power the pump AND peltier units, which if I recall the peltier plates take a decent amount of power and don’t bode well for battery-powering for very long with a fairly hefty battery.

My designs never got off the drawing board for that, but I seriously hope you overcome that and make something that works! Super excited to see the progress on that!
There’s a reason it’s titled “hopeful” . Honestly I’ve probably spent too much time looking at Installation 00’s Project Mjolnir work that my reach is extended out past my grasp, but we’re definitely going to try.

A pair of questions:

1. Where can I find details on the Tier standards for costuming? For my helmet I like the pilot helmet with UA (Reach), but I don’t like the UA just sort of floating on top of the visor and being able to see the visor under the UA, so I’m thinking of adjusting it so that the armored helmet extends down to the UA attach point and then the visor starts in-line with the UA. I’m curious if doing that (and potentially not including HUL since UA is only available with HUL) would like… disqualify me.

2. Etiquette-wise, for questions like that, should I post them in this thread or create a new one?

A pair of questions:

1. Where can I find details on the Tier standards for costuming? For my helmet I like the pilot helmet with UA (Reach), but I don’t like the UA just sort of floating on top of the visor and being able to see the visor under the UA, so I’m thinking of adjusting it so that the armored helmet extends down to the UA attach point and then the visor starts in-line with the UA. I’m curious if doing that (and potentially not including HUL since UA is only available with HUL) would like… disqualify me.

2. Etiquette-wise, for questions like that, should I post them in this thread or create a new one?
You’re good to post them in this thread, but referring to tiers is our Deployment system, which is an entirely optional process. You do not need to deploy your suit to wear it to conventions nor be a member of the community.

The details regarding deployment are here:

just some fun documentation. Front half of the helmet is printed. Clearly a ton left to do just on it, but you gotta start somewhere right?

Also, this one’s not for my giant noggin

IMG_7735.jpeg
IMG_7038.jpeg
IMG_7037.jpeg
IMG_7036.jpeg

just some fun documentation. Front half of the helmet is printed. Clearly a ton left to do just on it, but you gotta start somewhere right?

Also, this one’s not for my giant noggin

View attachment 345337View attachment 345338View attachment 345339View attachment 345340
Yeah it might be a little small :lol: , usuallyit's good practice for the helmets to have plenty of space for electronics so it's not uncomfortable. What are you using the scale your models? Personally I would recommend Armorsmith if you haven't gotten it already. It's what you'll find a load of people here use for scaling STLs, PDOs and foam stencils.

That one was never intended for me, ObiJon printed that one as a test run. He’s still working on it, coming along very nicely.

I probably should look into armorsmith. For the helmet I plan to use I used a sizing head 3D model. It didn’t come out too bad

Attachments

• IMG_7797.jpeg
    IMG_7797.jpeg
    969 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7798.jpeg
    IMG_7798.jpeg
    989.6 KB · Views: 9
Been meaning to update the group but got distracted actually working on the project. Man, let me just say, i always wanted a good 3d printer so i could do this with one of my closest friends, and its so surreal that its happening. Every part that prints im the same level of excited because we can literally make.. whatever we want haha. But in all honesty its been really fun getting this helmet to the point its at now. In the pics youll see a lot of this helmet but also some failed prints and some experimenting. Im currently working on getting arduino down packed while the roomy becomes a master at blender. I have this idea for the helmet that i hope i can make work and it was sparked by the random iron man helmet that i absolutely could not resist making. Ive been spending some of my free time measuring and slicing the armor parts into files that are ready to print so that once i start getting close to finished with this helmet, i can start on my actual helmet and armor. This Mk Vb helmet was always going to he our prototype first build display piece. Potential reveal coming soon? Anyways, i hope everyone is out there havin as much fun as we are getting into this hobby, thanks for lookin. Also, its pretty dope living with a Spartan.. they are tall as hell if you didnt know, the one i live with is like 6’7”.. cant wait till our armor is done!

Attachments

• IMG_7282.jpeg
    IMG_7282.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7288.jpeg
    IMG_7288.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7320.jpeg
    IMG_7320.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7331.jpeg
    IMG_7331.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7332.jpeg
    IMG_7332.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7333.jpeg
    IMG_7333.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7348.jpeg
    IMG_7348.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7376.jpeg
    IMG_7376.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7381.jpeg
    IMG_7381.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7382.jpeg
    IMG_7382.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7430.jpeg
    IMG_7430.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7436.jpeg
    IMG_7436.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7433.jpeg
    IMG_7433.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7453.jpeg
    IMG_7453.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7458.jpeg
    IMG_7458.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7463.jpeg
    IMG_7463.jpeg
    881.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7478.jpeg
    IMG_7478.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7281.jpeg
    IMG_7281.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7277.jpeg
    IMG_7277.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7107.jpeg
    IMG_7107.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7124.jpeg
    IMG_7124.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7129.jpeg
    IMG_7129.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7162.jpeg
    IMG_7162.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7164.jpeg
    IMG_7164.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7168.jpeg
    IMG_7168.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7183.jpeg
    IMG_7183.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7220.jpeg
    IMG_7220.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7230.jpeg
    IMG_7230.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7233.jpeg
    IMG_7233.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7248.jpeg
    IMG_7248.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7252.jpeg
    IMG_7252.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7253.jpeg
    IMG_7253.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7254.jpeg
    IMG_7254.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7255.jpeg
    IMG_7255.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7106.jpeg
    IMG_7106.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back