3D Modeling Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all.

This is a question for all you 3D modelers out there. What program do you use and why?

short list:

Maya

1254233483_00096bmaya.jpg

3DS

105605.jpg

Lightwave

LightWave_Graphic_B-small.jpg

Cinima4D

c4d_logo.jpg

Houdini

houdini_logo_150.gif

Alias

Autodesk-AliasStudio-2009.jpg

Short list of answers:

Industry Standard

Thats what I was taught

Cost

Learning curve

To answer my own question: I use Maya 2010. I use maya as it IS the industry standard. As a Computer Animation student, it is important to learn on the software that employers want their employees to know and thats Maya. I do however have Lightwave, Cinima4D, Alias, and Houdini. My personal views of those programs follow this train of thought:

Lightwave: easiest to use (not as drastic learning curve)

Cinima4D: Not really sure my I have it but... oh well I have it anyway

Alias: came as a bundle, never opened it

Houdini: in 6 to 7 years I see Houdini replacing Maya as the industry standard.... if not in common day polygonal modeling, then certainly in particle effects and physics engine rendering (the learning curve however is INSANE)

I use Metasequoia, 3DS Max, and Z Brush primarily.

Metasequoia is quick and easy to use and learn. It's also small enough to run it portable from a flash drive. It's very under-rated.

3DS Max can do just about anything I'll ever need from a modeling program. It's alot to learn for a hobbyist though. I'm still learning.

Z Brush is the best tool I've seen for making organic models. The topology is amazing. It's just like sculpting in the computer.

I use alot of other programs for converting formats and I like to use TurboCAD for all of my 2D work.

As a mechanical engineering student I have used Catia and Unigraphix NX 4.0. Both are meant for CAEDM (Computer Aided Design, Engineering and Manufacturing) applications. Both are common applications for engineers and designers, with different companies having different preferences on software. I prefer NX 4.0 because it is both more robust and user friendly.

I really enjoy reading the replies so far. I hope you all do too.

3 replies and already a few programs I have never heard of. The list of possible programs are endless. A few.. like the entire CAD end of the spectrum I never even considered as I am into character design and animation. it's nice to know they work for model creation also.

I also failed to mention Mudbox and Z-brush (which I also have) because I view them as useful in a different form than just modeling. Yes they are modeling programs, and can be used in many many ways. such as high def 3D printing. I personally view them as bump map programs.

what is a bump map? They way I see mudbox and Z-brush is to take a low polly mesh, and add insane amounts of detail... in the millions of polygons, then use that to generate a bump map. Back into a more traditional program such as Maya, you take that bump mad and apply it to the original low polly model. When you render the scene, you get the look of the millions+ mesh but with a low polly hit count.

Well....

for thouse of you who can aford the industrie standard, lucky you. But for all the people out there with little money to spend

and not even shure if they stick to modeling, they should try the free alteratives.

I tried a lot of low cost and free packages, and Blender is my choice now. The end result can be very impresive, but its hard

to get as detailed as in Maya or 3dsMax.

On the bright side you got everything you need, modeling, texturing (inc. texturepainting), animation, sculpting, fluid and cloth simulation,

particles and softbody´s, video-editing, post processing and even a built in game engine.

Another free progam thats very good is truespace. The support discontinued but its free now (they sold it for about 700$ a year ago).

The widgets are very good, and the vieportshading is awsome. The library function is well structured and can speed things up alot.

No sculpting thoug. The UV-Mapping is also horrible, but still a nice program. You can even import Blenders fluid simulations into truespace.

oh.. and speaking about UV-Mapping, you should give Blender a try. I know some people who do everything in 3d-Max, exept UV-Mapping.

Just to "advertice" the lower end of the spectrum...

I am 100% in support of using free programs, if you have never modeled before or are just getting started, the higher end programs can get quite expensive. It also seems that the trend is to make "modules" or "plug ins" then charge additional for them.

I personally have never used Blender, but have heard great things about it.

If you are going to be going into a modeling type industry and are looking to start school, most universities offer the academic programs as part of the curriculum. The important things to keep in mind about these programs is they are geared towards and used by professionals in the entertainment industry. Companies such as ILM, DD, or even game companies like Bioware don't bat an eye to buy a $7,000 Houdini license.

I defiantly suggest that if you are interested in 3D modeling that you give these free programs a rundown and see what you like.

Thanks for the answers, and keep them coming, there is defiantly no right or wrong, just personal preference. Im sure a discussion like this will help people who have little experience or knowledge of such programs.

Truespace: Download

Blender: Download Windows

Download Mac

Wings 3D: Download Windows

Download Mac

Art of Illusion: Download Windows

Download Mac

i use 3ds max, i tried blender once and softimage-xsi in class a few times (also the free one at home) but they don't compare to max. never tried Maya but i know its cheaper :/.

Ok , i've completly read the thread and i still have a great question : Where can i buy Maya or Inventor , Autodesk software ?

To buy Maya you have to go through an official seller. The best way is to go the Autodesk website and there is a link that will list the closest dealers to your location, and their contact info.

i kind like hexagon , but im still in the process of learning it so i only dabble for now.

i found a fully functional copy of hex 2.2 in an issue of 3d world magazine a few months back forabout 15 bucks , i was in the process of saving up the 200 dollars to buy it .

I used Max 2010 and Mudbox 2010 since I went to Autodesk and they gave it to me.

And Maya is not the industry standard everywhere ;)

I was at Ubisoft for 2 weeks (for somekind of stage) and they used only 3ds Max (Althought they used 2009)

I've used Maya before and I loved it. I found it easier to work with than 3ds at first. I'm still a beginner with both products tho.

What I like of 3ds Max and Maya is the ammount of good tutorials. I mean, there are good tutorials for Blender. I've learned how to use it at school but on the web, lots of tutorials are from 12 years old kids on youtube.

I use only Digital-tutors for my tutorials needs, now :)

Started out on DOS version of 3DS R4.

Then skipped along through caligari's site and ended up owning TS4 and TS5.

And after a few more skips into college, I get access to Maya, version 3. Never had to skip.

Been a Maya fan/user ever since.

PS I still don't like the fact that Maya was bought and went from Alias|Wavefront to Autodesk.

How am I supposed to hate on max now?? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back