3D Printed Carbine and Armor Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
The halo 2 BR was neat addition to the game. Its one of my go to's when all the power weapons are picked up
I was talking about the br that was actually in halo 2 (it feels a little bit different when you use it) but yeah, the h2a br was a really awesome addition. Alright, I'm practically mblackwell1002 over here getting so off-topic:p Sorry for derailing the thread a little there. Looking at the pictures, I feel like if you were to scale down the gun like 5% it would be perfect. That being said, it really isn't egregiously large, so you should be okay with the size as is, unless you don't mind re-printing.

Even if you end up making a scaled down one to carry around I would finish this one. Perfect size to be hung on a wall, be a hell of a display piece. Scaling is tough, I know I still struggle with that aspect of building.

Yeah its a tough one. I fairly confident though that with time scaling will come as a breeze!

Well, people with 3D printers don't really have a good excuse to be battling with scaling issues when it comes to props. The only thing you do is to create a center slice of the prop, 2 mm thick, and print that to the scale you hope would fit. It will be printed pretty fast, and you'll have a perfect reference part telling you exactly how the full part will behave.

Don't want to do that ?

If you'd do a prop in any other manner, I'd suppose you'd do exactly the same : take a piece of cardboard, draw it out and see what fits you. Then start scaling to your needs and create the thing in whatever material you chose and in the case of a 3D print, scale the full part in one go and then slice it up to fit your machine. That is the best way to avoid "oopsies" during the process.

It's not because it's 3D printing that this suddenly can't be be done prior to printing stuff out no ? :D

That being said, I would have no issues using a prop that size. Is it big ? Yes it is. Is it supposed to be big ? Yes it is. Does your hand fit in the grip ? It does, perfectly I might add.
I don't see the problem.

Clearly on the picture : Neither does Tigger, as he shows he's over the moon by the display of your armour and weapon. Always trust the judgement of felines when it comes to looking good, they're born to look good so they know about this stuff. :D

Dude, you had me dying with the whole tigger thing. Freaking hilarious man :D

I was talking about the br that was actually in halo 2 (it feels a little bit different when you use it) but yeah, the h2a br was a really awesome addition. Alright, I'm practically mblackwell1002 over here getting so off-topic:p Sorry for derailing the thread a little there. Looking at the pictures, I feel like if you were to scale down the gun like 5% it would be perfect. That being said, it really isn't egregiously large, so you should be okay with the size as is, unless you don't mind re-printing.

Its all good! I dont mind it. I dont really see it as too off topic cause we are talking about halo weapons and i am building a halo weapon lololol

Its good to hear though that the gun is fine scale wise with the rest of the armor. Then i will go ahead and move into the sanding phase!
Also, I got a question, I've started upgrades on my halo armor, should that be a separate thread or part of here? Just curious if its okay or not to have two threads going at once.

Also, I got a question, I've started upgrades on my halo armor, should that be a separate thread or part of here? Just curious if its okay or not to have two threads going at once.
Its definitely okay to have multiple threads going at once, but if you'd like you could post your armor stuff on this thread too. You might want to ask a mod to change the title for you then, though.

One of the nice parts of the new forum is here, the author can change the title of his thread without interaction of a moderator. :)

Its definitely okay to have multiple threads going at once, but if you'd like you could post your armor stuff on this thread too. You might want to ask a mod to change the title for you then, though.

One of the nice parts of the new forum is here, the author can change the title of his thread without interaction of a moderator. :)

Thanks guys! Really appreciate all the help.

For the first update to the armor upgrades that'll be doing, is remaking a new chest piece, this time going with the EVA chest.
IMG_1266_zpsmz8feugr.jpg

So far, i only have the front part. To me it seems like the scale might be fine but i would like to get your guys' opinion just to be on the safe side.

Really? I had no idea! Could have to do with the fact that I'm a filthy pleb who hasn't made any threads though.

I agree with the others on the gun. It's big, but it's not too big. Nice work. As for the chest piece, you've already made one! So you should know how it should feel and look. :p looks fine to me though.

That being said, I would have no issues using a prop that size. Is it big ? Yes it is. Is it supposed to be big ? Yes it is. Does your hand fit in the grip ? It does, perfectly I might add.
I don't see the problem.

Clearly on the picture : Neither does Tigger, as he shows he's over the moon by the display of your armour and weapon. Always trust the judgement of felines when it comes to looking good, they're born to look good so they know about this stuff. :D

That was hilarious. And spot on. :)

We were able to do this on the last site too. But yes, nice feature.

Really? I had no idea! Could have to do with the fact that I'm a filthy pleb who hasn't made any threads though.

Yeah you filthy animal! *glares at Frosty* I want to know what you've been doing over there. :mad:

The printed carbine looks amazing, however as I thought, it looks bit big.
Depends on what you want to do - if you want to have it bigger or rather just reprint it smaller.

halo.JPG

As for the chest piece, you're fast! It's bit hard to judge if it's big enough as the picture strictly shows your head and bit of your chest.
But, this may help you for the size reference.
H5-Waypoint-EVA.png

The printed carbine looks amazing, however as I thought, it looks bit big.
Depends on what you want to do - if you want to have it bigger or rather just reprint it smaller.

View attachment 239085

As for the chest piece, you're fast! It's bit hard to judge if it's big enough as the picture strictly shows your head and bit of your chest.
But, this may help you for the size reference.
View attachment 239086

Yeah, I wasn't really doing anything too much through out the day so i was like, eh just build as mush as i can in the day. I noticed that with the EVA chest piece, There is a tiny little sliver of the breast part of the under-suit sticking out on the sides of the chest and so i decided to throw the under-suit on and the chest piece im building seemed to have as much of the under suit sticking out at the sides as in the photo you posted.

ALSO, Thank you so much for posting that chest shot of the armor! I can easily see all the fine details the front of the chest has now!

Maybe something that would make the carbine appear a little smaller when wielded would be to add a little padding under the shoulders of your undersuit. You know beef up your shoulders a bit and I think the gun will appear a little smaller. Just a thought and I think would be easier then a reprint. And with the reference pics from palmer it doesn't look far off. Guess i never realized just how big the carbine was. I definelty think you got it closer then boomco did haha. Anyway can't wait to see the finished product looks great so far.

More updates and work in progress for the upgrades!
I finished the over the shoulder pieces. The white colored material on the bridge between the shoulder pieces is Sintra, or PVC Foam board, and im using it as structure like support to keep the ends of the chest pieces sturdy as well as to not have the shoulder straps flex as they are slung over the shoulders and affected by gravity over time.

IMG_1280_zpsi9caeh4z.jpg

IMG_1281_zpszbf5y1bw.jpg

Here, i just took 6mm sintra and glued it all together and make it look like the connectors between the front and back pieces.
IMG_1283%203_zps3dd3czrh.jpg

I kinda had to a bit of "sintra-pep" to get this back piece built. Heating up the plastic wouldn't give it the hard edges i wanted.
IMG_1285%203_zpsjzub19rr.jpg

Here is what it looks like on the inside, mind the horrid, disgusting looking edge on of the pieces, my knife was going bad on that piece.

And then, I started to print the finger armor to redo them. Same scale and size, just 3d printed. Im thinking about molding and casting these, so i can make copies on the fly. I already have the mold for the recruit hand plate and finger pieces.
IMG_1286%203_zpsspnu9bod.jpg

IMG_1287_zpsynlghwf4.jpg

I've had the molds for awhile ever since i built the finger armor back in September, luckily, if any piece breaks, i can just cast up another and not have to worry to much of finishing. Its funny, the resin i use cures white and since my armor is white, i didnt even bother with painting the first time, but since im doing a more accurate version of my actual armor in the game, i gotta paint the hand plates and some of the finger armor blue and grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back