3D printed Didact??? Maybe one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jongrnl

Hello every one. I'm currently in the middle of my master chief build but I already have eyes on my next project. I've been thinking about building the Didact however I can't find files anywhere. The lack of files actually got me thinking about how difficult his suit would be to make with all the floating parts and decided pep might not be best way to go. I think I've decided on slowly 3D printing it and slowly putting the pieces together as I get them in. The problem with this is again the lack of files. My question is does any one know where I might be able to find a 3D model of the Didact that I can turn into a 3D printed suit? If you don't, can any one point me to a tutorial on how to create my own 3D models? I've never done any 3D modeling before but I would be willing to learn!

Well, making a model of the Didact is definitely *not* a good first 3d modeling project. That is one of the most complex 3d models in Halo, and none of the models in Halo are simple. If you want to learn 3d modeling, there's a lot of different ways you could go about it, but no matter which way you choose, it's not going to be easy, it's gonna take a while, and you're probably going to get really confused a lot, especially at first. Not trying to discourage you, but seriously it's not at all easy, definitely has a higher learning curve than doing prop building especially if you've never done it before, and I don't want you to go into it with the expectation of being able to make this epic 3d model easily.

That said, here's some resources to start out:
Key basic terminology: http://blog.digitaltutors.com/basic-3d-modeling-terminology/
Absolute beginner tutorial with Blender (free 3d modeling program):
- you should be familiar with "box modeling" programs like blender first because that knowledge carries into any 3d program
Zbrush basics tutorial series (maybe the best 3d program for intuitive/artistic/organic modeling and sculpting):

Last edited by a moderator:
That's fine. I wasn't going to start on this for a year or two. I'm really looking for a good starting point. Thanks for pointing out those links!

I uh...don't know what the time on necro posting is, but I ended up stumbling across a .rar archive that was full of just...Halo models. Not armor, but in game stuff. Warthogs, Wraiths, Lasky, Del Rio, and Cortana without faces (except Cortana, who had eyes and eye lids, but still no face, which was freaking CREEPY). Even a Didact file. Granted, he's got no neck, and his spines are poking through his helmet, but I'd be more than willing to share it with you.

Gunna just...sit for a minute, cause I'm really confused as to where this .rar archive came from. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back