405th Auctions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan137

In light of the auctions being run by Ithica, I came to the conclusion that it would be interesting if the 405th had it's own auction system on the boards. I'm no web programmer, but I've seen the code necessary for such an undertaking, and I know it'd be no easy feat. But, that doesn't mean we couldn't potentially do something simple.

Essentially, what I had in mind was a cut down version of eBay's auctions, where members would bid on each item, but it wouldn't be completely automatic (ie, if you win the auction, the money isn't immediately transferred). Maybe this could replace our current Classified's section?

This'll be a pain to program, I know that, but it might be something worth trying.

I'm no web programmer either, but I'd like to think these auctions are a temp solution to a temp problem. I don't want to make an emphasis on selling things on the site.

We're thinking of expanding the trading system though.

Adam said:
I'm no web programmer either, but I'd like to think these auctions are a temp solution to a temp problem. I don't want to make an emphasis on selling things on the site.

We're thinking of expanding the trading system though.

Exactly. The 405th isn't about mass-producing or selling HALO merchandise. Besides, there'd be all sorts of legalities involved with Microsoft and Bungie, and we don't want that.

Bungie so far has been pretty lax in allowing their fan base to do things like we do for our own enjoyment, as long as we're not committing any blatant copyright infringements.

They're supportive of their fans, but obviously we can't take gross advantage of that.

The purpose behind these auctions is to act as a sort of fundraiser when the need arises, to help out the community in some way. It's not meant to be a regular, occuring thing.

Personally, I think the current selling/trading setup works pretty well. It's not any different from any of the other prop forums I'm a member of, and we don't want to become anything like eBay.

It's kewl that the Admin/Mod group is looking at revising the current trading system, though. I'm interested to see what changes would be brought about as a result of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allright, that's cool. I was thinking that Bungie's rule, and the rule of the community would probably shoot it down. I thought it might have a chance to fly with the current restrictions on joining the forum.

Anyhow, just a thought!

No worries, dude. It was a good suggestion, this one just can't be put into practice due to legalities. Gotta cover our own butts here, after all.

The Admin/Mod group strongly encourages this sort of thing (ideas) from its members. Helps to make us a better community all around. Anything to improve the 405th as a whole is always welcome, and greatly appreciated.

So if you have any other ideas in future, by all means don't hesitate to post them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back