A couple foam questions: what foam and how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phauxelate

Member DIN
S554
If a picture can say a thousand words, then a forum title can say at least a few.

What EVA foam provider (by 405th popularity) is used for building a suit from the ground up? My older brother wants to jump into this, and I want to start him off out better than I was. I've heard things like the best selling foam mat tiles on amazon aren't a whole lot suited for costume builds, and some guy recommended me this company called "TNT Cosplay".

As for the second question. As an average, how much foam (measured in the number of 2ftx2ft foam tiles needed) will be used for a full suit build. For a base reference, let's say it's the Halo 3 MJOLNIR Mk. VI armor. I didn't have any luck asking how much foam you'll need to buy from my good friend Google.

Thanks!

If a picture can say a thousand words, then a forum title can say at least a few.

What EVA foam provider (by 405th popularity) is used for building a suit from the ground up? My older brother wants to jump into this, and I want to start him off out better than I was. I've heard things like the best selling foam mat tiles on amazon aren't a whole lot suited for costume builds, and some guy recommended me this company called "TNT Cosplay".

As for the second question. As an average, how much foam (measured in the number of 2ftx2ft foam tiles needed) will be used for a full suit build. For a base reference, let's say it's the Halo 3 MJOLNIR Mk. VI armor. I didn't have any luck asking how much foam you'll need to buy from my good friend Google.

Thanks!
I generally pick up the ones from harbor freight, which are the cheapest I've found, at around $8 a pack of 4 sheets. It's also more convinient for me because I dont have to wait for shipping. TNT cosplay supply is really good, as you can get huge lengths of sheets in many different thick messes and also can acquire other shapes like foam dowels. I would say, depending on the armor type, 3 packs or 12 sheets should be more than enough, even for a complex armor type with lots of contours and shapes/angles, and leave room for a bing prop

If budget is a big factor then the 2x2 ft. tiles that you can get at Harbour Freight or any other store is sufficient. Just be aware quality can be inconsistent. air bubbles can be present and stiffness of the foam can vary. The foam tiles also have a textured side that can affect how well parts hold together if you are layering foam. Most people will sand it smooth if they have the tools to do so.
Now the foam the TNT Cosplay or any other cosplay supply store is a much higher quality and density. The foam is smooth on both sides. One big difference is the price. Since the foam sheets are of higher quality the price can be a lot higher. Lets say a 4 pack of 2x2 tiles is $8 at Wal Mart. TNT might be sell a single sheet of 3x2 ft. for the same price.

If budget is a big factor then the 2x2 ft. tiles that you can get at Harbour Freight or any other store is sufficient. Just be aware quality can be inconsistent. air bubbles can be present and stiffness of the foam can vary. The foam tiles also have a textured side that can affect how well parts hold together if you are layering foam. Most people will sand it smooth if they have the tools to do so.
Now the foam the TNT Cosplay or any other cosplay supply store is a much higher quality and density. The foam is smooth on both sides. One big difference is the price. Since the foam sheets are of higher quality the price can be a lot higher. Lets say a 4 pack of 2x2 tiles is $8 at Wal Mart. TNT might be sell a single sheet of 3x2 ft. for the same price.

This math checks out. I'm currently doing an order from Red Moon Cosplay Supplies as a trial of their high density foam for a few props.

Walmart Connect-a-Mats - $16
- 21"x21" usable space * 4 mats
-1764 sq.in
-$0.009/sq.in

Red Moon Cosplay Supplies 90kg 10mm Thickness - $50
-11"x35" usable space * 3 sheets
-1155 sq.in
-$0.043/sq.in

Fancy foam gets expensive quick when it starts out at 4.5x more expensive per square inch and then you need to add shipping on top.

This math checks out. I'm currently doing an order from Red Moon Cosplay Supplies as a trial of their high density foam for a few props.

Walmart Connect-a-Mats - $16
- 21"x21" usable space * 4 mats
-1764 sq.in
-$0.009/sq.in

Red Moon Cosplay Supplies 90kg 10mm Thickness - $50
-11"x35" usable space * 3 sheets
-1155 sq.in
-$0.043/sq.in

Fancy foam gets expensive quick when it starts out at 4.5x more expensive per square inch and then you need to add shipping on top.
I have been really hesitant to buy foam from Redmoon mainly because of that reason. I am considering getting some of the 'fancy' stuff to build my Divine Slasher just to see what high quality foam is like.
I still have some time before I start that part of my build. When you do get your foam and grace us with a review of it and give an opinion if 'fancy' foam is worth the investment. I might make my decision then.

How about for quality between different brands of tiles?

Harbor Freight has 24sqft for $9 USD, but there's this one one amazon from a brand called BalanceFrom for $20 USD.

What's the difference, if any between these two?

Also, Let's throw in how many square inches (Instead of tiles) does it take for a full suit of MK VI armor?

Also, Let's throw in how many square inches (Instead of tiles) does it take for a full suit of MK VI armor?
Which generation of armour, and what are all your dimensions? Also how efficient is your packing of shapes onto a tile? There's a lot of variables.

My Reach Spartan took about 16 of the puzzle mats and I jam parts onto foam probably a bit closer than I should at times. This excludes printed helmet, handplates and a few attachments.

He just needs a rough estimate of how much foam he should buy, since he doesn't really have a starting point of how much is required

My Reach Spartan took about 16 of the puzzle mats and I jam parts onto foam probably a bit closer than I should at times. This excludes printed helmet, handplates and a few attachments.
16 sheets?!?! Jeez... I thought 10 for my ODST was a lot. You also have to add extra sheets for any mistakes that you make (the reason why mine totalled 10). Then there is the 6mm & 2mm sheets of foam for detailing.
Plus sheets for a weapon. If you plan to build an AR or BR each will prob be 3 sheets min.

Matter of perspective..........Child size..........
giphy.gif

16 sheets?!?! Jeez... I thought 10 for my ODST was a lot. You also have to add extra sheets for any mistakes that you make (the reason why mine totalled 10). Then there is the 6mm & 2mm sheets of foam for detailing.
Plus sheets for a weapon. If you plan to build an AR or BR each will prob be 3 sheets min.

ODST armour is a lot closer fitting overall and more pieces that can be heat-formed instead of having to glue together a bunch of tiny bits. It's way more efficient on foam use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back