a first attempt hows the scale look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Malevelus

I took a bicep as its only 9 pages, and constructed it, to see what the size is. Now I took the base fraz printouts, and just printed them onto card stock, as I needed to get a base measurement for what this things gonna come out to; and as such I can now use this formula for what scaling I need to do in the future.

heres a pic.
dsc01390sm9.jpg

This thing measures, roughly 15.5 inches tall, 6.5 at the elbow opening, and 9 in total thickness front to back at its thickest.
The elbow hole is 6 inches fron to back,, and 6.5 side to side. which to say is abit large on me.

So I may have to rescale the part down to 14 inches tall by a 4 to 6 inch opening at the elbow. that should be a bout a 10 percent drop. worse cae Ill waste few more sheets and keep going until I get it right.

But not bad for a hours work.
Now Im rescqling the bicep down by 20 percent and going to retry, Ill post the pic to show the difference with measurements

OK heres another pic of the reduced size bicep, I need your opinion on if it looks right. I think another 10 percent would be too much
dsc01391vi4.jpg

dsc01392xw4.jpg

length top to bottom is 13.5 inches, bottom opening is 7 inches front to back, armpit opening front to back is 6 inches, and 7 inches top to bottom.

heres some pics of the helmet
dsc01394qe8.jpg

dsc01393rh6.jpg

it abit tight on the nose and ears putting it on but I think its ok.

Let me know

thanks

what do you think?

If you plan on putting resin or fiberglass on the helmet, you may want to consider making it easier to get around your ears. I don't know about this for certain, but I doubt you'll be able to bend out the sides of the helmet to make it fit once its a very hard substance...

Just food for thought for anyone reading.

smilie120 said:
master chief has a beard?

LOL

Hey now thats about 2 days worth of scruff, gimme a week and I look like grizzly adams LOL

I was playing with the idea of raising the scale up by 10 percent to allow for the foaming/fiberglassing process. As I want it to fit like a motorcycle helmet does. and be sturdy, and comfortable for wearing during a convention, or other event.
Most events Ive been to last anywhere from 1 to 2 hours, with conventions being the whoppers at 8 to 10 hours.

Im thinking it may be a hit and miss though with the rest of the scaling. As we each have different body types the scale might have to be adjusted per piece.

But so far I have spent 6 dollars roughly and have the helmet almost done, and basically the entire left arm done. Once I get some undercoating, and some spray foam, and most of all time, Ill be in business. But Im guessing at about 20 more sheets to get all the pieces printed out. When the scaling is redone, the parts can be reconfigured to fit better, reducing the amount of pages needed for the part.

I just recieved the entire model for the star wars episode 3 clone trooper so I have plenty to keep me busy. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Frizzlefry said:
If you plan on putting resin or fiberglass on the helmet, you may want to consider making it easier to get around your ears. I don't know about this for certain, but I doubt you'll be able to bend out the sides of the helmet to make it fit once its a very hard substance...

Just food for thought for anyone reading.

Thats why Im thinking about upscaling it 10 more percent and redoing it. I wan the end result to be like an actual helmet, and be able to be put on and taken off with ease, and still fitting comfortably. I plan on lining it with foam covered in fabric for a nice and comfy fit.

Im planning on actually carving channels out in the spray foam to make air flow around my head to keep the sweat down, and the comfort up. If I wear this thing at a con, I want to be comfy in it.

The biggest issue, Im having is coming up with a truly round face plate, or bubble lens. Im hoping to get some responses from mgf'ers that make the motorcycle face shields and see if they can do a one off for me. I want this to be accurate if Im going to spend the time going through all of this. Perhaps they can even make the indentations in the bubble face shield too.

Last edited by a moderator:
read this link on scaling your armour pieces i found it very helpful and it will deafinatley "cut out" a lot of tmie......get it "cut out"? lol

http://mjolnirarmor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180

im doing generaly the same thing on my amour exept i used the link to size the armour then im going to epoxy resizn it, expanig foarm for a snug fit, then fiberglass it then finaly paint it.......... :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back