A Little Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeZRaes

So guys I'm new in cosplay making. I got several questions and I tought you all can help me to find an answer.

1- Which one is more comfortable and durable for helmet making? Paper or foam? I saw some of you make helmets from paper using pepakura, which one is best?

2- Are there a cheap way to make a visor? I can't enable use vacuum forming.

3- How can I make a mini smoke machine for back of the torso?

Last edited:
So guys I'm new in cosplay making. I got several questions and I tought you all can help me to find an answer.

1- Which one is more comfortable and durable for helmet making? Paper or foam? I saw some of you make helmets from paper using pepakura, which one is best?

2- Are there a cheap vay to make a visor? I can't enable use vacuum forming.

Let me answer these in order.

1. Personally, I use pepakura to make my helmets, because I feel like it's the easiest material to work with. Somebody else may think that foam is better for other reasons, so it's a subjective decision, IMHO.
2. My visor is actually from a motorcycle visor. All I had to do was cut it to shape. :)
3. Hmm, there's quite a few ways you could do it, but there's probably a product out there already that Ghostbuster cosplayers use. On a base level, all a smoke machine does is atomizes a fluid to create a very fine mist of sorts...

What will the smoke machine for, I am sure it would be banned at events and conventions. and foam helmets would not be as durable but they are pretty elastic or something like that as in they can go back to their original shape you made it in after putting it together. It wouldn't always be reliable due to tears and cuts it takes but drops would not be a problem as long as its not too high and crushes, the foam would be mostly fine in my head, but this would not be the same way for the visor of the helmet. These are just what would happen in my head or understanding. I am planning to use pepakura for my helmet and use resin and fiber glass.

Let me answer these in order.

1. Personally, I use pepakura to make my helmets, because I feel like it's the easiest material to work with. Somebody else may think that foam is better for other reasons, so it's a subjective decision, IMHO.
2. My visor is actually from a motorcycle visor. All I had to do was cut it to shape. :)
3. Hmm, there's quite a few ways you could do it, but there's probably a product out there already that Ghostbuster cosplayers use. On a base level, all a smoke machine does is atomizes a fluid to create a very fine mist of sorts...
How did you reinforce pepakura helmet?

How did you reinforce pepakura helmet?

I (and many others) use either fiberglass mat or fiberglass cloth on the inside to reinforce the pepped helmet. :) Alternately, you could mix rondo (a 50/50 mix of fiberglass resin and Bondo) and slush it around the inside of the helmet. Be aware, however, that this will make the helmet heavier.

So when we make the helmets, the creation of the helmet takes place on the inside of the pepped helmet frame, not the outside?

The reinforcement of a paper pep helmet takes place on the inside, correct. If you applied either the fiberglass or the "rondo" to the outside, you would lose most if not all of the detail from the pep model. Applying your reinforcement to the interior of the model allows you to preserve all the details that would get lost or muddled when fiberglass is applied.

On the exterior of the paper model I always brushed on a layer of just the fiberglass resin first. Once that was dry, then I would brush a layer of just the resin on the inside, and then start adding the fiberglass and resin on the inside. Once your helmet is sufficiently strengthened and reinforced, you can use small amounts of bondo or "rondo" to smooth out areas or build up or clean up additional details.

2- Are there a cheap vay to make a visor? I can't enable use vacuum forming.

Wow "vay" huh... These school computer's keyboard suck...

Then it must be my work computer restrictions again.....Dam them!!!! Always ruining my fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back