A PEP shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roodkill

Ok so for all of you out there who have decided to make a day out of printed out pep and started the process of cutting and pasting with your buddies, LISTEN UP!
This is a tutorial of how to basically, Cut corners and Cheat
Im doing everything that Wendy's burgers and your Teachers go against, best part is: Im the one teaching it.
*LIGHTNING CRACKS*MUHAHAHAHAHA!​
ok ok ok, I've had my moment. So heres how this works: Im sitting in the kitchen listening to my brother play Brawl and I'm working on the PEP for the skull.....
( I don't remember who's skull it's by but if you forgive me it's the example I'm useing)​
........and I think to myself, "mmmm. . . .mmmm. . . WTF!? I mean WTFFF!!!" so began the picture taking after I thought about it.

This stuff was too complicated and after doing a magnum, an ODST helm, and now this! I figured why?
[attachment=3415:Skull.JPG]
Exactly my point, some of you maybe thinking the same thing right now and the next one is worthd a thousand words. . . ok,maybe 3.
[attachment=3416:WTF.JPG]
So this is what I did: 1. Take your project and cut out all the large pieces and assembly them.
2. Move onto a little more detail (as much as you like)
3. when you think you're happy with it and can manage the rest then tape the bugger off and throw away this stuff.
[attachment=3418:throwaway.JPG]
You will then see you are left with this:
[attachment=3417:skullshit.JPG]
OMG! WTF! FTW! RTFLOLGGBBQ! . . . lookin' good to you guys? No?! NOT good enough you say? Well how about filling it with this stuff!
[attachment=3420:GretStuf.JPG]
I love this stuff, I use it for all my armor fillings. I actually sleep with this under my pillow incase of home evasion. Fill up their heads with it and- *POP* " Boy saves family recives $20 gift card to Home Depot" see it on the news now. . .
After that, you have a durable skull, helmet, armor, ________, . . . and can be kinda rough with it.
But first you have about an hour/ 2 hours to wait until you can do that so have one of these.
[attachment=3419:coffee.JPG]
When you think you're good, bondo it, tape it, paint it how it is. What I would do it cover it in clay. The oven-bake kind. The foam nor the paper will burn and it doesn't give off fumes. (too much that is, the foam a little) then paint. Got you an awesome skull/ anything in about 1 hour and 20 mins. Beat that!​

Ok, so you want to make the skull?The guy who was so kind as to post it removed the teeth for this project, and if you're worried about teeth I have a few suggestions. I have a tip for you: Use corn for the teeth. Uncooked that is.

[attachment=3421:cornteeth.JPG]

NINJAS LOVE CORN! But so do your skulls; push a few of these babies in and were talking grusome details!
Do you need an example of what I mean? Then here's a shrunken head I did 3 years back for my shaman outfit. (advitar). . . I like corn actually, but after braces I never real- oh! OH YEA! Sorry... *wipes slobber away*
[attachment=3422:shrunknEX.JPG]​

I Hope that helped you all out. The PEP unfolding isn't human after all so it doesn't take into account for easy going, just detail. Nothing that about 20 mins of sculpting wouldn't fix as opposed to hours of hotglue messes, folding, paper cuts, and burns. Pop it in the oven if you use clay and you're set. That's my recipe for cutting PEP corners.
More to come! (now that Im past the post limit) Tomorrow I'll put up a flood tutorial. (that will be a bit better)
I love Halo! May the Force Be With YOU!​

Last edited by a moderator:
S1l3nt V1p3r said:
I do not want to see any uneccesary open holes in my helmet...

The easiest way is just to simply cut everything out and lay it on the floor so that each piece is next to each other... makes glung alot easier.

-Fin(n)ish

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
I do not want to see any uneccesary open holes in my helmet...
Perfectably understandable, I neither want to have holes (as most everyone else). That's why I mention breifly the tape and great stuff. I don't think I explained myself all the way. . . The Great Stuff fills up and expands but the tape on the outside doesn't alow the GS pass. Tape is easily taken off but the GS is dry. Then you can be rough with it (sorta) while you cover it in resins and/or clays.

Cool, someone built my skull. Your construction method might be a bit unorthodox, but hey, whatever works for you.

Uhh....
wow....
I get the concept you are saying, i think.
You are saying basically Assemble the large peices, then just fill the area where the small peices would be?

It's really tough to understand, you seemed really hyper and random while writing this.
It somewhat reminded me of a Squirrel on crack. LOL no offense.

But by my experience, using great stuff isn't so much my forte. I have had problems with it for this sort of thing,
(i fell on my helm after i filled it with this stuff to make a stand by sticking pvc pipe in it while it cured. Fell while walking with it)
LOL that's not the foams fault though. But i don't like carving this stuff much less put it on something as a filler. I recommend using Bondo or the like if you want to cut corners and just fill the areas. Great Stuff is amazing for lots of things, but i think for this application not so much. Well at least in the way of being used as a filler.

If i am correct that is the method you describe right?

-Justin

tonsofhoopla said:
Uhh....
wow....
I get the concept you are saying, i think.
You are saying basically Assemble the large peices, then just fill the area where the small peices would be?

It's really tough to understand, you seemed really hyper and random while writing this.
It somewhat reminded me of a Squirrel on crack. LOL no offense.

But by my experience, using great stuff isn't so much my forte. I have had problems with it for this sort of thing,
(i fell on my helm after i filled it with this stuff to make a stand by sticking pvc pipe in it while it cured. Fell while walking with it)
LOL that's not the foams fault though. But i don't like carving this stuff much less put it on something as a filler. I recommend using Bondo or the like if you want to cut corners and just fill the areas. Great Stuff is amazing for lots of things, but i think for this application not so much. Well at least in the way of being used as a filler.

If i am correct that is the method you describe right?

-Justin

Right, use the great stuff as a filler and the tape as an overall stopper. Use it to stop up the fome from expanding out and then having to sand and cut it down. ( It was late too, so you're not far from you comment- no drugs though 20% squirrel :)

Garland said:
Cool, someone built my skull. Your construction method might be a bit unorthodox, but hey, whatever works for you.
I leave the credit to you ( for the awesome skull) I'm covering it in sculpty clay and baking it tonight, wanna see?

Robogenisis said:
Why? Cutting corners only makes it worse. Spend a little extra time, and put some actual effort into it.
Not nesecarily (the cutting corners) It does make it worse if you don't have any idea of what item goes where, but say you do. Then if you're folding a part that becomes litterally a square the size of your finger nail (or smaller). Then tape it and fill. Otherwise do the big parts and hold off on the little ones until you're absolutely sure you need them. Time is money and in this case armor. I have time, but not so much I can spend it on something so trivial (as say in this example, teeth,) when an acceptable substitute is advailable.

As a skiled pep'er i have to say that the small parts are what really brings out the detail in your work. Then again, i dont really cut corners when it comes to saving time or anything, because it really does show in the finished product. Just my 2 cents.
This is more for those who either dont have time to do every single detail (and i understand, i really do)
Its OK, it really is. Just dont expect me to whip out the can of Great Stuff when i get bored and dont want to pep anymore.

also, dont double post, its really annoying.

rvb4life said:
As a skiled pep'er i have to say that the small parts are what really brings out the detail in your work. Then again, i dont really cut corners when it comes to saving time or anything, because it really does show in the finished product. Just my 2 cents.
This is more for those who either dont have time to do every single detail (and i understand, i really do)
Its OK, it really is. Just dont expect me to whip out the can of Great Stuff when i get bored and dont want to pep anymore.

also, dont double post, its really annoying.
I agree. Also, he TRIPLE POSTED!! :eek:

Cutting corners does show in the final product. If you don't like the tiny details, you could always just do the Halo 2 files and whatnot. That's about as simple as you're going to get. If you cut corners like that on a FS helmet, it would literally not be there.

Triple posting? thats just downright evil.

The thing is, my armor is just covered with hot glue strands, and thats just about as cutting corners as im gonna get.

Do this at your own risk. If you think you are skilled with bondo and finishing products, then this is the thing for you. Anything can work, just a matter of ease and extent.

Im not saying you are wrong for trying this, im just saying it shows.

Roodkill said:
I leave the credit to you ( for the awesome skull) I'm covering it in sculpty clay and baking it tonight, wanna see?
If you do that the paper will burn and leave the clay without support. In other words, don't.

Roodkill said:
Right, use the great stuff as a filler and the tape as an overall stopper. Use it to stop up the fome from expanding out and then having to sand and cut it down. ( It was late too, so you're not far from you comment- no drugs though 20% squirrel :)

That makes sense, tape to stop it.

LOL

Yeah i have my late nights too

Or, you could be patient and just take your time on the fiddly bits with a pair of tweezers and a craft knife....

Trust me, they're doable if you split them right.

If thats what you want then fine, but most people take pride in their armour and want a good looking piece of equipment.

rvb4life said:
Triple posting? thats just downright evil.
why thank you.(broke the rules as a nub, won't happen again) However I agree that this does seem (after rereading it) like Im encouraging you to make in a half assed job. Not at all. Really what this is about is to get the overall shape of the project down and from there take up in another form like the oven bake clay to get the finer details. It saves time. I'm not saying rush it and go crazy, just work to your advantage and in your best interests.

I had a really hard time understanding this tutorial, too much internet lingo and spam.

Telling people to screw and forget the small pieces is a bad idea, every piece should be used, the only thing you should toss away is sheets of paper already cut, not the actual pieces.

This is like telling someone, build a rocket, forget the mechanics, it'll still turn on and fly.

The person who made the pep skull you made didnt do that great of a job cutting out the pieces, he had too many pieces over lapping, not the tabs over lapping, but the actual pieces for the model.

AoBfrost said:
I had a really hard time understanding this tutorial, too much internet lingo and spam.

Telling people to screw and forget the small pieces is a bad idea, every piece should be used, the only thing you should toss away is sheets of paper already cut, not the actual pieces.

This is like telling someone, build a rocket, forget the mechanics, it'll still turn on and fly.

The person who made the pep skull you made didnt do that great of a job cutting out the pieces, he had too many pieces over lapping, not the tabs over lapping, but the actual pieces for the model.
Right! But see thats not the point Im trying to make,
its to use as much of the PEP as YOU want to then go ahead
when you're satisfied and add detail to whatever you want using
the oven bake clay and filling it with the Great Stuff. This is if
you're short of time primarly. I agree, take the time (if you have it)
The skull took 10mins to make and it was for this tutorial only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back