ADAWG99's 3D Printed Mk V Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
3d printing sounds great, but what if you cant, what can you use to build your armor?

There are a number of ways to do it. A very popular option is to make it out of paper and fiberglass it. Foam also works. I'm only 3d printing because that's what works for me.

ADAWG99, you're doing the whole helmet in 1 go? Ambitious. Good luck and looking forward to seeing this completed. I wish I had a 3D printer.....scratch that...I wish I knew how to use a 3D printer in order to get one......I'm a Technosaurus.

Turns out I was a little over-ambitious. :lol: The print started having layer shifting about a third of the way through and I had to stop the print. I'm trying a new mk v file (the halo 4 version I think) split into four sections. It is printing a lot easier and with less supports, but I was hoping to have something that I wouldn't have to glue together at all. However, a piece is already done printing and it's coming out great. Not giving up on this four-year-old thread just yet!
IMG_0668.JPG

3D305426-81E9-458F-96D2-B4D08F4B87F3.jpeg
All glued together except for the back piece (neck seal). The geometry of the helmet doesn’t allow you to pop your head in as the opening is much too small. I suppose magnets could work or maybe a rubber neck seal like impact props did (though that would require much more work). Open to more suggestions!

Last edited:
I suppose magnets could work or maybe a rubber neck seal like impact props did (though that would require much more work). Open to more suggestions!

Depending on the application, I sometimes use hot glue on stretch fabric along the seams to allow the armor to open up slightly and close behind you.

Any chance anyone could convert a game asset into something 3d printable. Theres a package here: PC / Computer - Halo: Combat Evolved - Master Chief - The Models Resource
I am trying to take the "MC First Person" model, strip away the undersuit, and (for now) make the forearms, and handplates into something 3d printable. My problem is I have not a single clue on how to add wall thickness to a complex model that doesn't have it. Believe me, I've looked up how and tried, but I cannot for the life of me do it properly.
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 9.52.37 PM.png

Small Update on the helmet:
Bought some 1" split wooden maple balls on amazon to replace the low poly ones on the cheeks. They fit perfectly. Got the idea from impact props' build.
IMG_0756.jpg

I dont know much about 3d printing or modeling, but I love the determination on fulfilling a childhood dream. 4 years or 40, it's never too late.

There's got to be a printable mark V out there. CollinMcCaf might know of something or may have a tip for you on the thickness issue.

Sub'd

Almost 2 years later...

Starting from scratch as I want to create something with higher definition and with details more canonically consistent with the other MJOLNIR Armors. Trying to stay true to the original but just make it cooler. I really want to feel a little more realistic/badass in the suit.
3a6yn48xabu31.png

Here's what I have come up with so far (mainly tweaked from a design from buzboz on twitter)...Definitely far from finished but in my mind, this is what the anniversary MK V should have looked like:
alecsmkv.png

(Inspired mostly by the Reach MK V, the original Combat Evolved concept art, and the Infinite MK VI.)
I'm taking a couple of industrial design classes this upcoming academic year so I'm hoping I will have the proper skills to sketch, digitally paint, then 3d model the hybrid MK V in Solidworks. Any input/suggestions for the design would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Here's version two of the design with new legs. To be clear. This isn't really wholly my own work yet. This is just a composite I've done. I'd like to take this time to thank 343 industries, Bungie, Eddie Smith (CE concept artist), Buzboz (Top Portion of the design), Vince 5754 (arms), 1000toys (legs), Abimael Salazar (codpiece). Links below for all original artists. I do plan on doing my own sketch entirely at some point when I have the necessary skills. I will as well try to 3d model all of the parts and make the files available to anyone else who wants to make them. Enjoy fellow MK V lovers!:
alecsmkvredesign.png

Links to original artists:

A fun comparison to the original joyride figure:
IMG_3030.JPG

Last edited:
I was reflecting back today on the very first suit of armor I made in 2012. At the time I thought it was incredible, but as each year passed and new techniques and mediums were becoming available I wanted to keep improving and keep making. I’ve noticed that many people that post in this forum never actually finish their builds. Life gets in the way, patience grows thin and to be honest, this is an extremely difficult and time consuming hobby. But you know it’s one of the most rewarding. I really do hope you complete this suit no matter how many obstacles come your way....We could use another spartan. Good luck, I’ll be watching.

- Also, I don’t know what state you live in but we are in the same regiment so don’t hesitate to reach out if you need any help.

Last edited:
I was reflecting back today on the very first suit of armor I made in 2012. At the time I thought it was incredible, but as each year passed and new techniques and mediums were becoming available I wanted to keep improving and keep making. I’ve noticed that many people that post in this forum never actually finish their builds. Life gets in the way, patience grows thin and to be honest, this is an extremely difficult and time consuming hobby. But you know it’s one of the most rewarding. I really do hope you complete this suit no matter how many obstacles come your way....We could use another spartan. Good luck, I’ll be watching.

- Also, I don’t know what state you live in but we are in the same regiment so don’t hesitate to reach out if you need any help.
I am starting school this week so I won't be able to make much progress for a while. When I can work on it next, I think the best thing I could do is set some small, but frequent, goals to chip away at it. I really need to hold myself accountable to finish this. Really, If I could at least have the whole suit sketched and 3D modeled before the spring, that would be clutch.

Also, have you/will you do a tutorial on how you weathered your armor? It looks perfect!

I am starting school this week so I won't be able to make much progress for a while. When I can work on it next, I think the best thing I could do is set some small, but frequent, goals to chip away at it. I really need to hold myself accountable to finish this. Really, If I could at least have the whole suit sketched and 3D modeled before the spring, that would be clutch.

Also, have you/will you do a tutorial on how you weathered your armor? It looks perfect!
Yeah I’ve actually been working on it here and there. I know so many different techniques from painting models And working professionally for the prop department of a haunted house that it gets overwhelming to me when I try to put the things I know into a tutorial...but it’s coming. I recently just painted up a suit for my brother. Here’s some of the weathering effects

Attachments

• C3ED9B55-76FF-4E36-951A-596EA2A242A0.jpeg
    C3ED9B55-76FF-4E36-951A-596EA2A242A0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 217
  • 06EA2E0F-F7B2-4EB5-A85C-70F9DC4FF27D.jpeg
    06EA2E0F-F7B2-4EB5-A85C-70F9DC4FF27D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 236
  • 5818DC52-7F16-42CC-B311-AC5679224F70.jpeg
    5818DC52-7F16-42CC-B311-AC5679224F70.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 204
  • ADE6D838-485B-46C7-8646-2EBCEC0A85D5.jpeg
    ADE6D838-485B-46C7-8646-2EBCEC0A85D5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 249
I love the legs in that composite pic! Those would be much easier to form from metal and look a lot more comfortable to wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back