Adding the Mud effect to Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otakon08Ikari

Jr Member
157hs1l.jpg

2cp9s9e.jpg

2vj6clh.jpg

My team and I have been trying different methods for adding the mud effect to armor. Right now we are trying using this textured spray paint, using two different color of it it really seems to add a nice look to the armor. We are trying for the Spartan III look from Halo:Reach.

Would you recommend adding moss or bits of clay for more of an effect or continue using the method we are now.

On a side note, jupo is your armor that Red armor cause if so I look up to you my friend.
We also are going to be adding a lot of armor battle damage to it...I'll keep you updated.

I'm assuming that 'jupo' is me. My helmet is just a black cast that I got from Jedistumpy. I'm going to paint it brown and gold when I can.

There is a trick to making your armor look dirty and muddy. I've never used it myself, but I understand the concept behind it.

You take a slightly darker color than the one you want to have stained, and water it down. Really, make it something like 3 parts water to one part paint. Mix it well, then ...well, splatter it on the prop you want muddied. Like it was really muddy water splashing on it.

It should run down your prop and leave stains that approximative the look you want.

The only thing I'm not sure on is how much water you mix in. It may even be a higher mix of water vs paint... Like I said, I've not tried this effect yet.

Anyone out there used this effect before? I don't want to mess someone's work up on a half-understood idea. :/

I have used this method with my recon armor. I first painted it and added all the details like damage then i took some acrylic paint and mixed alittle Rust and White together then alot of water it should like like you have cleaned a brush in a cup kinda thin depending on your trial and error just dip a brush in the cup and strat flinging the mix all over and let in run down, as it runs it drys and stains it. you could also wet wash it. for that check out Ithicas youtube page. here is the link to my shin and boot painted my way http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p184/KasperJones/Mobile Uploads/?action=view&current=13545880.jpg

No worries, we got it all to work just fine. Another amazing idea that my friend came up with was to take an SOS pad and spray some grey/silver on it and just brush over parts you wish to be battle damaged. Its quick and comes out fantastic!

I'll update with pictures soon.

Weathering depends on what you do.

If you want it to look like it has a thin layer caked on, get the yellow and browns you want, mix with water or appropriate thinner, and brush it on towards the top of where you want it. It'll run down the rest of the way, leaving the drip effect. This method is also useful for little splashes of mud on the armor. (Just get your brush wet and flick the bristles back with your thumb. It should send a good spray of big drops out.

If you want heavy amounts caked onto areas, you'll need probably a good clay. Just cake it on there, scrape bits off, and make it look like dirt and mud clods. When you're done, be sure to paint it a rough brown. Mute, dark brown works best. (To the point where it's almost a textured dark grey)

Maybe slap some clay on an area, then take a stick and pry the clay out of it, haphazardly, making it look like the armor was given a rudimentary cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back