Alternative to making masterchiefs Helmet!! This saves on biuld time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grid 187

Most everybody has done all by the pepakura method cardboard and in some strange cases styrofoam, anyway we thought i'd be best for noobs and vets alike to go and research Bicycle helmets, NOT motorbike or motorcycle, BICYCLE!!! Don't of course go for one that have air groove or pointed fronts and rears just a stand bowl helm is a very good reff point!! Visors are strongly recommended for this type of biuld! All purpose heavy duty proffessional glue or low temp GG's are preffered, its upto the builder of course hopefully this will speed things up for some of you guys n gals on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now, I wouldn't exactly say what you've suggested as a "shortcut", to be perfectly honest, as trying to build something of this nature over an existing frame is just as difficult as it would be to work from Pepakura. There's still a lot of effort involved in cutting all the pieces and ensuring everything is at the correct angle, in order to achieve the same degree of accuracy.

Still, it's a good idea. One that others have actually proposed (and in some cases done) before now, but a good idea... ;)

SPARTAN II said:
Well now, I wouldn't exactly say what you've suggested as a "shortcut", to be perfectly honest, as trying to build something of this nature over an existing frame is just as difficult as it would be to work from Pepakura. There's still a lot of effort involved in cutting all the pieces and ensuring everything is at the correct angle, in order to achieve the same degree of accuracy.

Still, it's a good idea. One that others have actually proposed (and in some cases done) before now, but a good idea... ;)
I know what you mean, we just wanted people to realize theres more methods out there with a little research and time :lol: , I just want everyone to be able to have the most accurate MC armor they can say they created, I hope we havn't upset anyone!! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much blue!!!111!!!

You would be better off to get a cheap airsoft helmet thatt doesn't have all the bulks and grooves as a bike helmet. Even with getting the bike helmet you have to modify it and add onto the helemet of what is missing. You would most likely have to use clay or something you can shape on the helmet anyways. Whereas with pepakura, you would print, cut, fold, and connect it all together (easily done) reinforce it a little bit with some thicker material and fill with some foam insulation. The thought process is longer than just buying a helmet and sculping clay around it, but the phyiscal and financial process is weaker. Bike helmets cost what they cost asside from the clay. And what happens when your clay get touched by some stupid kid. Pep' is the way to go here. It's easily moddifiable as well.

Using a bike helmet wont do any good, a bike helmet adds 3 inches to your head, your helmet wont fit or be the right size because of the extra 3 inches, plus you'll need to bondo and smooth crap out to make the helmet look decent. I'm still saying pepakura is the easiest way.

I wouldn't not hold it against you if You used a regular font size and text color... everyone else does, you don't have to be different... join the masses, go default... its easier on the eyes and people are mor likely to read what you say than skip your post...

Besides that, a Bike Helm is a starting point, and it is one way of doing it.... but I Don't think you are going to get something proportional to your body size as a result, you may look like a booble head when you are through...

But if its easy enough to do, try it out, take some pictures, show us your work... I would love to see the results..

another thing I found good for thighs/lower arms/shoulders, although the shoulders are the hardest is using rubber car floor mats cut into the appropriate shape as a base instead of peparuka.. I've been suprised how well it works, but since it's not as detailed as peparuka, it leaves a lot of work for you when it comes to using bondo/fiberglass to detail. I'm thinking of posting a tutorial sometime, but i'd have to go through the process again to take pictures.... unfortunately I don't think this method would for for the more intricate parts... But I havn't tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back