Antivir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i was watching a movie online ( i know im bad) and then this thing popped up and this Antivir was some how downloaded. i tried to google it but whatever i google it will not search it. but my msn search still works. it keeps constantly popping up saying that i have a virus. witch is just a fake pop up. but my real security system AVG is awsom but cannot find it. ive looked all over my computer files to try and find it to delete it but no sucsess. PLEASE HELP

Goomerspartan10 said:
Well i was watching a movie online ( i know im bad) and then this thing popped up and this Antivir was some how downloaded. i tried to google it but whatever i google it will not search it. but my msn search still works. it keeps constantly popping up saying that i have a virus. witch is just a fake pop up. but my real security system AVG is awsom but cannot find it. ive looked all over my computer files to try and find it to delete it but no sucsess. PLEASE HELP

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091203194044AA1SDoo

Last edited by a moderator:
the stupid antivir is interfering. wenever i try to update it or scan the computer it does not work or the antivir sends a popup blocking it >=(

My day job is a system admin. The Antivir you speak of goes by far to many names like Xp antivirus 2008, Xp antivirus 2009, Antivir, etc... It normally comes in an email disguised as a zip file, it is also know as the UPS virus as the original virus was attached to a fake UPS failed delivery email. By far the easiest way to get ride of that sucker is to use Malewarebytes anti malware. Also I think Microsoft's new security essentials antivirus works on it too. The only problem is it won't install with AVG malwarebytes will. You might need to clear your system restore files too, but don't do it unless it comes back after you've "removed" the virus. Good Luck

Try Avast! anti-virus

I've found it to be very thorough, and I've heard many reports that its much better than AVG

EDIT

Gremlin beat me, try his thing first, I'm sure he knows what he's doing

Try Spybot, it works wonders some times.

I had some kind of fake Virus-Search bar a few years ago, and the only thing that get rid of it was this little tool.

Hope it helps for you..

Goomerspartan10 said:
the stupid antivir is interfering. wenever i try to update it or scan the computer it does not work or the antivir sends a popup blocking it >=(

I can't vouch for it, but it was the first seemingly sensible info I found... The link I posted contained the following procedure:

Terminating the process:

1.I verify that a Rogue is present. This isn't hard, since it's usually popping up just about every few seconds.

2.Click CTRL-ALT-DELETE (if it's available)

3.Click Task Manager

4.Click Processes

5.Find a process that usually contain all numbers. For example 2342342.exe. If you do not see all numbers then your rogue has a name like...SystemSecurityPro.exe or GreenAV.exe...etc.

6.Select that process and click end process.

7.At this point the rogue process has been terminated.

Removing Rogue Anti-virus that is named with random numbers.

1.Click Start

2.Click Run (or for Vista type in the start search box)

3.For windows xp type: C:\documents and settings\all users\Application Data and click OK. A window will open containing a folder with about 8 numbers. Your Rogue is in there. Delete that folder.

4.For Windows Vista type C:\users\all users in the "start search" box and click enter. Your randomly named folder with about 8 digits should be in there. Delete it.

Removing Rogue Anti-Virus that has a name like System Guard Pro, AV2010, etc

1.Open Windows Explorer.

2.Open your C:\ drive.

3.Open Program Files

4.Find the Rogue and Delete the folder.

Last edited by a moderator:
buahahah if a system admin ever tells you that he is an "expert" or he knows what he's doing, walk into his office during a marathon conference call to a vendor's tech support and kindly remind him. I made some pretty bold assumptions about the type of virus but the symptoms fit. Generally when I can't uninstall and install a new antivirus or physically remove a drive to scan it on a vm then I turn to malwarebytes.

Linky this time, enjoy and goodluck:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I had something like this happen, i was just browsing deviant art and BAM a antivir called XP Police came up, locked me out of my Ctrl+alt+delete function and wouldn't let me remove it from my local disk so i went on my sisters profile and managed to delete it there, i still cant open ctrl+alt+delete and my disk drive wont work lol.

i would suggest using firefox with popup blocker and ad blocker installed on it (they can all be found at mozilla.com)

and then i would suggest upgrading your firewall.

I found that AVG's firewall isn't the best in the world so i would either upgarde to something like mcafee or run both AVG and another firewall in tandem.

hope this helps for next time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back