Argyria

Status
Not open for further replies.

s meisters

Jr Member
Anyone here ever heard of Argyria? It's a condition of the skin that makes it turn either blue or gray. It's caused by consuming small amounts of either silver or gold over a period of a couple month to a couple years.

What my actual question is. What would you think of someone if they inflicted argyria on themsleves?

s-meister said:
Anyone here ever heard of Argyria? It's a condition of the skin that makes it turn either blue or gray. It's caused by consuming small amounts of either silver or gold over a period of a couple month to a couple years.

What my actual question is. What would you think of someone if they inflicted argyria on themsleves?

Hmmm...wow, I don't think someone who inflicted argyria on themselves would be well received by anyone. Even people who are considered 'deviant' with their tattoos, weird hair colors, or body piercings (like most everyone I know :D) fall into an accepted subculture and are actually pretty meticulous when it comes down to health standards (autoclaves anyone?). Your average man/woman, even a really polite person, would be tempted to stare at someone with argryia. I doubt sufferers of argryia hear 'Wow, that's cool!'...I think they probably get more negative attention or ostracism. Rosacea has never been cool so I don't see why blue would be desirable either.

I'd hope a permanent illness wouldn't be romanticized by anyone into some sort of fashion choice. Not only does it damage your skin irreversibly, it can also lead to neurological problems (like seizures), kidney damage, stomach distress, headaches, fatigue, and skin irritation (among other concerning ailments).

I guess I feel about this like I do about botox. It's a poison and the body doesn't like it. I think I'd feel really bad for anyone who thought that they needed to do that to themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
well not to sound like my grandfather that everything is greek, but just to share an info here, argyria comes from the word argyros which means silver, so i dont get it since that guy turned blue, not silver!!!
anyway it is a good way to get a spot on blue man group, on their next casting call.!!! lol

Good greif... coloidal silver rears its ugly head again. Drinking coloidal silver is pretty much like asking to give yourself metal poisoning. THis along with homeoapathy is one of the most rediculous and sad trends in modern "folk medicine" YOu get shiesters and charlotans peddling these kinds of snake oils ond tonics. If it actually did anything to help people, a doctor would prescribe it, funny that they dont. Reminds me of the girl on charlie and the chocolate factory who eats the 3 course bubblegum. Off to the juicing room for you buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back