Armor...building it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much does a respirator run? I can't imagine those being very cheap.

About $60 for the good ones that will filter fumes and vapors... thats important. Don't just use the ones designed for dust.... they won't help with the polyester fumes.

It's worth EVERY penny when you consider that without it you will end up with a lump of plastic in your lungs and potentially get cancer.

Don't cheap out on protective equipment.... If the price doesn't kill you cancer will.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES. Get a respirator. You can't be too careful when dealing with your health, and this is really toxic stuff. This is why so many people avoid fiberglass and resin.

Still more questions.
Bondo-Is it cheap?
Are name-brands better quality than non-name brands?
Could I hand-sand it with an average doctor-style breathing mask?

Argh... SOOOO MANY RESIN QUESTIONS!!!

Seriously there are like at least 3 ongoing threads covering this. You guys need to do some homework. Go to your local Home Depot or Lowes, or Auto Parts store, buy a little kit and read the instructions carefully and follow them.

Polyester (Fiberglass) Resin : $30-$35 a gallon.
Bondo: $20 -$25 a gallon

Brand names don't mean a thing. Bondo brand or not, it's the same thing chemically; Polyester Resin and Methyl Ethyl Ketone Hardener. Go with Elmers brand if you like... get whats cheaper. I've never noticed a difference between brands.

Sanding it with a average paper dust mask... um sure, if you like inhaling toxic dust! Those masks let a lot of particulate matter into your airways because they aren't form fitting. They're better than nothing I suppose, but you should really get a proper respirator is you're going to be doing a long-term project like this.

Alright? Can we have a truce on the Fiberglass/Bondo questions for a while?

Sean Bradley said:
Go with Elmers brand if you like... get whats cheaper.

ooooh ;) noo no not elmers that stuff is crap, it sinks to the bottom of the mold it doesnt want to stay on the glass....stay with bondo fiberglass or marine fiberglass if you have the cash to spare

how about some spackling paste questions for ya then!!!!!!! ya WOOT, umm well i forgot the question nvm.

Link wrote:

ooooh noo no not elmers that stuff is crap, it sinks to the bottom of the mold it doesnt want to stay on the glass....stay with bondo fiberglass or marine fiberglass if you have the cash to spare

Hmm. I've never had problems with the Elmers brand. But I will concede to your experience, you've taught me a few things about the resin that I never would have learned on my own.

Link = Fiberglass Master. Learn from him noobs! ;-)

Personally...The ODSTS sound a lot more appealing. So, I might be changing it up... :) or possibly a HALO 1 Marine. Why? Because there a LOT cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back