Armor Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1G1TAL GH05T

Hi everyone I am at the beginning stage of making halo armor and so far I'm yet to complete the helmet but progress is going well so I have been deciding about my chest piece.
Aswell as deciding on what chest to make I have been thinking about comfort features to add to it and found one of the biggest issues with a full suit is getting hot and sweaty and I'm already aware of people putting small computer fans in helmets but so far that's all iv found.
I few ideas I've had so far is a water bladder with a discreet and easy to access feeding tube also a mini cooling system that works by having a small radiator on the back of the chest piece with a removable ice pack and PC fans to cool the radiator that will have a small pump to send the water from the radiator through a thin flexible copper tube around the torso area.

If anyone has any ideas or thinks I'm just being stupid please share

I'm working on my first Halo build, but did an Iron Man build for my daughter last year. The cooling system I used for that was a few computer fans powered by a drill/driver battery, which was mounted inside the back of the torso. Granted she wore in in October, which was cooler than normal for a Texas October. I like the direction you are thinking about, I know Adam Savage of Myth Busters and Tested fame has done something similar. He discussed it in the of his podcast episodes. I know he is also active on RPF, I'll see if I can find something regarding his method. One of the biggest concerns with those types of systems is making sure you do not cool too much, turning a hyperthermia problem into a hypothermia problem. Curious to see what you come up with.

I've thought about something like this. My thoughts are:

1. You could probably use vinyl tube for the water lines. Copper would work better, but you are going to have a heck of a time getting it in there, never mind the expense.

2. Consider one of the grenader chests. The front pod might work to your advantage.

3. Maybe try finding one of these second hand: http://www.breg.com/products/cold-therapy/devices/cube-cold-therapy
The hospital gave me one when I hurt my knee. It is amazing how cold it gets. Something could be adapted.

Good luck

I like the responses so far and I agree with blondiebot we don't want it to be too cool so an on off switch would be useful and CKesner that's a good idea using medically based cooling and vinyl tubing would be easier and cheaper. I do know that thin copper tubing is available and can be shaped quite easily but as for expenses it might be worth having the copper in certain areas that would suffer more from heat.
I will be looking at making my armor out of Eva foam so I can add more weight but I will try to make it as light possible and experiment as much as I can to see what works best and as I am a bit of a gadget nut I will be looking into other useful features I can add the suit.

I think a good example would be something like the halo 5 security chest piece as it has potential space for such devices
sketch-1454196918653.jpg

Glad to help, got me thinking about cooling on my build. Let me know if you find anything else useful, I live in Texas, so cooling will probably be a necessity for me to survive in my armor.

Glad to help, got me thinking about cooling on my build. Let me know if you find anything else useful, I live in Texas, so cooling will probably be a necessity for me to survive in my armor.
I have also looked up water bladders and they come in all shapes and sizes for very cheap.
I guess depending on the armor build a compartment could be made to easily remove the bladder for refill I believe an ODST chest would be ideal for that.

so far i have found some parts for the cooling on ebay for as cheap as possible tell me what you think.

radiator 18.95.JPG Radiator £18.95
pump 11.74.JPG Pump £11.74
pvc tube 2meter 3.00.JPG PVC tube 2meter £3.00
pc fans 4x pack 10.95.JPG PC fans 4x pack £10.95
copper tube 6mm x 2meter  5.50.jpgCopper tube 6mm/2meter £5.50

For my suit, I just grabbed a Water bladder, chucked it in a black drawsting bag, put it on, put my undershirt on over it and hey presto it was discreet.
Being in a place that's usually cold (Wales) I don't have to worry about heat :b

I like where you are going with this, Just make sure weight doesn't become an issue. Once I get by chest and back pieces done, I am going to figure out what I can put into them. I found that was helpful on my iron man build, once we had the chest piece built, my wife and I were able to find good places for fans and batter packs and see how it was affected by other pieces, undersuit, straps, etc.

Kat

You could also use small airpumps. Hook them up to fixed mounted tubes in the armor, mount them in the biggest free space of your armor (back / chest).
Hook them up to some tubing, poke holes in the places where you wish to have air pushed out.
I used something similar to cool a helmet once and it worked fine, but in the end I switched to a fan system inside the helmet.
I didn't need any cooling in the armor itself as -there was simply no need for it- in my eva-foam armor.
Things cost next to nothing. h t t p://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DC-3V-6V-12V-24V-Micro_513081487.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.118.G8NkA6 or h t t p ://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Free-Noise-10LPM-Diaphragm-Structure-Battery_60163169877.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back