Armor Strapping 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
DogWizard said:
You're quite welcome - glad I could help. I'm sorry for the dead links but the Sette Pressure Suit that I used is no longer available from that site. Just practice your Google-Fu and you should find plenty of options. Sette and SixSixOne are two of the more popular manufacturers but there are others. Any place that sells motocross gear should have plenty to choose from (also Ebay, Amazon, Etc.)...

Good Luck!

i'm a black belt at google-fu master! lol

i'll keep my eyes peeled for that presseure suit, how much did you get yours for btw?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuki-Kedamono said:
i'm a black belt at google-fu master! lol

i'll keep my eyes peeled for that presseure suit, how much did you get yours for btw?

I can't recall exactly - it's been a while. I want to say that it was around $50 or so but they were on sale...

DogWizard said:
I can't recall exactly - it's been a while. I want to say that it was around $50 or so but they were on sale...

wow i was thinking it was for alot more, even if on sale XD but that's awesome. i'll keep my eyes open like i said an post a link if/when i find one ^^

edit:

found a pretty good one, an they have an ebay store so they sell multiple different sizes too

ebay Pressure suit store

even better here's there official store ^^

Atomic Moto Home

(it's cheaper at their official store)

buuuuuut it's about $50 more than what you said ^^ but i was expecting something like this

found another one, but it's only one size (small) but it's a bit cheaper:

another pressure suit

That last one (the SixSixOne Strike) looks perfect! You should be able to find it in other sizes fairly easily. The key to the pressure suit is to find one that looks good (minimal or no funky colors) and has adequate "hard points" if you choose to use them. The look of the "spine protector" is also a consideration. It's not entirely game accurate but it does add a nice touch...

Here's another:

Nice Alternate

Good Luck!

DogWizard said:
That last one (the SixSixOne Strike) looks perfect! You should be able to find it in other sizes fairly easily. The key to the pressure suit is to find one that looks good (minimal or no funky colors) and has adequate "hard points" if you choose to use them. The look of the "spine protector" is also a consideration. It's not entirely game accurate but it does add a nice touch...

Here's another:

Nice Alternate

Good Luck!

oh that ones way better! i mean te ones i found i personally asked the owners of the stores an they said they didn't have anything in full black, just the black with dark grey. so i was a little iffy over it. that i was considering just going with regular under armor since the ones i kept finding were so damn expensive, but you just showed me one that isn't super pricey and is all black, i think i'll look more into that one an the seller of it ^^ thanks for the addition!

I actually wear my PS over my Underarmor - most of the pressure suits are just ventilated mesh and you will want the extra layer for comfort. I recommend 2 sets - one "Coldwear" and one "Heatware" for different times of year.

You can also lightly paint the pressure suit with a black primer if there are little colored details that need covering. Just make sure that you let it REALLY dry and rough it up to minimize and flaking before you wear it. :D

DogWizard said:
I actually wear my PS over my Underarmor - most of the pressure suits are just ventilated mesh and you will want the extra layer for comfort. I recommend 2 sets - one "Coldwear" and one "Heatware" for different times of year.

You can also lightly paint the pressure suit with a black primer if there are little colored details that need covering. Just make sure that you let it REALLY dry and rough it up to minimize and flaking before you wear it. :D

true. an damnit the link you sent me too the suit isn't available anymore, i gotta do more searching. i even got to the point of looking for the lmm (the thinnest) wetsuit (aka rash guard) lol.

my google-fu is strong but my opponent is not one to be underestimated XD

i think i found good one. an it's selling for $55 ^^ i'll let ya know how that goes XD

Here's a link to the Sette suit pictured. I got it for about $90 standard price.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...Impact-Protective-Suit-w_-Zip-Off-Sleeves.htm

I do have one question though. The hard pads on the elbow and lower arm restrict me from putting any of the arm pieces on. I'm afraid that if I cut the openings in the pieces bigger they'll fit, but then not look good with the enlarged openings. Did you take the them off or just cut your openings bigger? I see on the forearm it looks like it would just fit your actual forearm and not the small armor pieces on the pressure suit.

Also have a question about what everyone used for pants. I was thinking of just using some black military pants from the surplus store.

Opps, one other inquiry. What about the shin pieces? should I pad them and then run a strap down from the thigh behind the knee? That's my basic plan now. I though of on each side of the knee, but that might not hinge well.

Great tutorial. My Sette suit is coming in real soon.

Though it doesn't advise on securing the chest and extremity pieces (handplates, shins, forearms).

Any thoughts?

Not sure about other forearms, but mine fit perfect with just some padding on the inside. I don't think they'd need to be strapped. I'm still up in the air about the shins, I'm going to do all my strapping this weekend and just come up with something that works.

This is a great tutorial! I wondered why I was falling apart everywhere.

I made the mistake of using thin straps. Now I just gotta make new armor, save up for a pressure suit, make a BR...... :)

Sorry for the delay folks, I haven't checked in on this for a bit...

agroom said:
Here's a link to the Sette suit pictured. I got it for about $90 standard price.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...Impact-Protective-Suit-w_-Zip-Off-Sleeves.htm

I do have one question though. The hard pads on the elbow and lower arm restrict me from putting any of the arm pieces on. I'm afraid that if I cut the openings in the pieces bigger they'll fit, but then not look good with the enlarged openings. Did you take the them off or just cut your openings bigger? I see on the forearm it looks like it would just fit your actual forearm and not the small armor pieces on the pressure suit.

Also have a question about what everyone used for pants. I was thinking of just using some black military pants from the surplus store.

I actually used a bench-grinder to take some of the height off the hard plastic "pads" on the forearms. This gave me a better fit and grip for the forearms. For pants (and undershirt beneath the pressure suit) I just used standard UnderArmor. I have a set of "Heatgear" and a set of "Coldgear" and use whatever is appropriate for the temperature. Underarmor fits like spandex so it gives you the form-fitting look vs. the baggy BDU look that regular pants may give you...

agroom said:
Opps, one other inquiry. What about the shin pieces? should I pad them and then run a strap down from the thigh behind the knee? That's my basic plan now. I though of on each side of the knee, but that might not hinge well.

AngelVirusX said:
Great tutorial. My Sette suit is coming in real soon.

Though it doesn't advise on securing the chest and extremity pieces (handplates, shins, forearms).

Any thoughts?

The Chest/Torso is self-suspending and just hangs on the pressure suit/shoulders. Mine is hinged at the front hinge location and snaps shut under the arms. The Shins and Forearms just slide on and are held in place with adhesive-backed foam sheeting. You will need to fit each piece individually using different size pieces. If you take your time and do it right, they should stay in place without spinning or flopping around.

agroom said:
Not sure about other forearms, but mine fit perfect with just some padding on the inside. I don't think they'd need to be strapped. I'm still up in the air about the shins, I'm going to do all my strapping this weekend and just come up with something that works.

You got it - Good Luck!

RegularGuy said:
This is a great tutorial! I wondered why I was falling apart everywhere.

I made the mistake of using thin straps. Now I just gotta make new armor, save up for a pressure suit, make a BR...... :)

Thick heavy-duty strapping makes all the difference in the world when it comes to comfort and reliability - Good Luck!

I figured I would give a quick report on how my armor held up, since I have been quiet for a while around here.

Yea, fiberglass your Chicago screws. They kept on breaking during the con. thankfully they were easily repaired but couldn't sit down for the day :p

As for strapping, the main pieces remained pretty sturdy and worked out pretty well I think, That strapping did it's job and didn't pinch an inch.

All-in-all, pretty cool. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back