Armor strengthening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinoyskii

How would I strengthen my halo armor? I'm making it out of fiberglass and I was wondering if I could multiple layers. I want to to withstand about 50 pounds of weight.

This belongs in the Help! for Resin, Fiberglass and Bondo thread.

Is there anything holding you back from adding multiple layers of fiberglass? You don't need our permission, just do it; there's no rule against it. And, why do you need it to withstand 50 pounds of weight?

Oh sorry, I'll look were to put it next time. No, there is nothing holding me back and I want to it to withstand it because I just want it to be durable. So to put multiple layers I would just have to repeat the process of putting the fiberglass and resin? Also would I put extra layers in the inside and outside or just in the inside or outside?

Just be mindful that 1) more layers means a lot more weight, and 2) more layers means less flex. Sometimes it's the ability to flex and bend that makes a piece durable. Adding layer after layer will make the piece more rigid, which can put more stress on it if it sees a lot of movement. For example, rigid thigh armor would be more likely to crack over time than a flexible or even semi-flexible piece, which is part of why many builders on here have made the transition to foam. It might not be as solid as fiberglass, but it can take more abuse in other ways. Foam can be strengthened and with layers of Plasti-dip or other rubberized coating while still maintaining better flexibility than fiberglass.

Ok, so I have another question. I'm making a pokeball and I was wondering if a styrofoam ball would work. How would I not make the fiberglass resin go through the ball?

You could try aqua resin instead of fiberglass resin. That might not be so corrosive. Or you could skip the resin all together and go straight to plasti-dip. Might take a few coats (possibly with some sanding in between to take off the high points) depending on how porous the foam is. The best part is, plastidip does come in a variety of colors, including the trademark red, white, and black of the pokeball, so you could build up the layers in the appropriate colors and save yourself some worry over minor scuffs and/or scratches, as the color won't just be a "surface cover" as it would be with traditional paint methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back