Army Research Laboratory ~Halo Armor~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironcladcheese

Hello, this pass summer I had the opportunity to be an intern for the Army research laboratory. Its called the SEAP program (Science and Engineering apprenticeship program). My project was: "Virtual 1000 grain volumetric finite element mesh microstructure" for the summer.

Anyhow, during my stay I happened to meet multiple people and become friends with multiple engineers who worked for the army. People who actually produce armors for vehicles, people, planes, etc etc. People who have PhDs, and masters. One of the people I became friends with is in the Composites branch. He and others produce kevlar armors, ceramic armors, etc etc. for basic (meaning it might become widely used in 10 years) and applied research (meaning it will become used within a couple years). Well one way or another, I finally mentioned to him that I wanted to make some halo armor out of clay molds and plastic. And his response was, I would gladly give you some materials to make some more or less real armor, maybe even ship you some pieces.

~Exciting part~

Well we started talking about processes for creating it and I showed him multiple pictures of the armor. Then he showed me this multi-million dollar machine used to create prototype molds of various things, such as helmets, vehicle pieces, plane pieces, etc etc. What you do is create a AutoCAD file and input it into this machine and the machine will go about cutting a piece of material into your design with rather accurate precision. Then he said most likely that he could create the chest armor and maybe a few other pieces out of ceramic armor. The man said he would also gladly give me some sheets of Treated Kevlar, which is bulletproof fabric used by soldiers today.

So in conclusion people, over the next year I hope to produce some more or less bulletproof masterchief armor. No I am not going to go running around with it letting people shoot me! If I decide to create this armor I am expecting at least a year of time. I am going to create a mold out of clay or use pepakura files for the shell, then from there I hope to reinforce the shells with treated Kevlar fabric. Some pieces might be produced by the machine I was mentioning above out of ceramic composite armor.

Well thats about it, hope to start creating this armor and updating the community with pictures and videos of me making it if I ever do decide to create it and if I actually do get the supplies.

Sounds like a really cool opportunity, but Kevlar can get pretty heavy; especially in the grade it would take to stop a round(not that you'll be trying anything like that though).

Yeah Im not going for a full on bullet proof suit. Just that some of the components of the suit will actually be comprised of bullet proof materials.

WOW

awesome networking connections you have there. This project should be a fun and amazing thing. Please keep us up to date, would love to start seeing what you and your contact come up with. And as for the kevlar, there have been many changes and improvements that im sure your contact has access to, where the armor is lighter and more flexable. Good luck to you on this.

Wolf Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back