Aussie Sangheili Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyblade93

Hello everyone or should I say G'day :p

My name is Allyshia but Ally for short. I live in NSW part of Australia and already apart of the 405th Aussie regiment on facebook.
I've been into costuming for the past 2 years, I joined up with the Mandalorian mercs first and worked my way up making odd costumes here and there. I've been approved by both the Mandalorian Mercs and also the Shadow Guard of The Dark Alliance. All Star Wars really. Since I've started costuming I've always said in the next two years I will eventually do Maci Durramee's costume. my Female OC sangheili. However I never thought I would ever actually sit down and start typing up a build thread or an introduction thread on the 405th because I never thought I'd actually advance far enough to want to do Maci's armour.

Things have changed since then and I made a little comment on the Aussie fb page and ended up feeling a little more then confident in making the armour as well as the actual Sangheili body.

So where do I start?

Well I guess I should introduce the actual character first. Maci Durramee. She's been around for a few years and probably known well in the fanfic and DA halo fandom community. Over the years shes changed and as I've progressed in my art skills, she has become a finer looking Elite then how she first started out. As with halo 5 and the changes in some sangheili cultures with females being able to join the military, I have a little bit of confidence that I will hopefully not be shun out because of the fact I want to do a female Sangheili OC costume. Star Wars Costume Clubs have always been very very strict so I'm surprised I have freedom when it comes to this sort of costume.

Durramees Armour reference is this...Though honestly I need to re-do it because her armour has more of the 343 armour look rather then the halo 2 version.

armourref.png

Materials

*Eva Foam for the armour Maybe.
*Foam for the head base and body of the Sangheili
*Material to use on the skin and skin suit part which I have yet to decide.
*EL wires for that glow look on the armour.
*Stilts probably

Apart from that I have all tools and equipment on me to use for the making of this, I just need some guidance from others to get this costume done. I have a feeling it will take me a very long time but with a little bit of hope I guess I can go a long way perhaps?

Attachments

• armourref.png
    armourref.png
    981.6 KB · Views: 5,928
This is a very interesting idea! I like it! I say go for it!

Seeing a female Elite will be interesting! I like the idea of the rise of females in the ranks!

I made the Hunter costume and I gotta say that EVA is likely your safest bet when you make the armor. There aren't very many existing templates or pepakura files out there for you to use and it's a lot easier to freehand with foam than any other material.

For the legs, I see it going a couple different ways:
1. Keep your leg straight and build around it
2. Buying stilts and building legs around that (I did that for the Hunter to get the height I wanted and the shape)
OR 3. Investing in (or building your own) digi stilts

I've tried building my own digistilts before and it takes a while to get used to them. Even normal stilts can be hard on the feet after a while.

If you want to go for the comfort route, I would go with the standing on your feet without stilts and just building legs around like you see on fur-suits. You can make up the bulk of the shape with couch foam and then skin it with fabric to hold it all together.

I like the idea of using EL wire in the suit too! It might give it a bit of a Tron look though (but that may be what you're looking to do).

My personal favorite Elite armor is the classic Halo 2 armor, but there are some things about the Remastered Halo 2 armor that I like as well. The classic Halo 2 armor is very sleek and angular while the Halo 2 Anniversary armor is a little more bulbous around the head and I don't like it as much, but I digress.

It's up to you! It's about what YOU want! We're just here for the ride and I'm sure all of us would love to see you succeed! We encourage creativity-- one of the big differences between us and the Merc or the 501st.

Best of luck to you!
~Alexis

Hi there...fellow Mercs (Ruus'alor in the AZ Clan), 501st & Rebel legion member here.

I love seeing the elite builds, there are so many Spartans & ODSTs out there, that seeing something rare like this always makes me happy. Looking forward to seeing your progress, I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure!

Hello there Ally! It's good to see more Sangheili builds around the 405th. I think the EL Tape is a great idea for the lighting aspect. As for your stilts, I've seen people use these, or make them themselves for the extra joint the Sangheili leg has. https://www.digilegs.com/
I hope all goes well with this build. I'm looking forward to see this come together!

EDIT: Nevermind on the Digistilts, as it looks like Saber already has that covered.

Cool idea, not entirely sure how you'll do the skin, depending on your build I imagine for the limbs you could do some sort of body paint. As for the head, I'm only aware of one female Sanghelli that has ever been pictured in canon, the Arbiters wife, Han'Chavam. Her overall build seems to be slimmer but the face is very different than a male.
han'chavam.jpg
I imagine if you wanted to reflect this in your design it would only be a matter of building your own face up to match the structure with latex, and then the color would be whatever technique you choose for the rest of your body.But there also isn't a reference I know of for a female helmet... If you wanted to keep the head more similar to your original design I'm not sure how you would mold the face, maybe a foam structure with the details over top? Either way you go, I'm interested to see how this turns out. ;)

Thanks guys for the awesome advice and encouragement. I've seen your awesome Hunter Saber, truly a huge inspiration to many Halo costumers.

Maci's Armour is originally a prototype between Promethean and Sangheili technology. Though its rather similar to Lockes armour just very sangheili-ish xD

I'll be dropping down at my local bunnings and looking at some Eva Foam, see if I can get it in the blue or something like Maci's and I may start on the helmet just to to test it all out. Though I think I'll build the digistilts, I want to get the proper height for this build as best as I can :D

good luck!
i am starting to think about an elite costume too, but i don't even know where to start ^^'

however, you can chack this guy's video

it's a professionnal work, but you can have ideas on how to do it..i guess?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back