Babys First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachoman158

I'm in the planning stages of my first build. I'm going to be posting a ton of questions on this thread, but starting off with the most noob question: For the helmet, is it smarter to have a motorcycle helmet and put the eva foam over it or just make it from scratch out of eva foam?

I am for sure going to need technology help later on as well. I plan on having a raspberry pi or two connected so I can have a couple of tech features.

I'm super excited to start this long journey!

Aloha nachoman158, welcome to the 405th! I'd definitely recommend scratch making the helmet from foam rather than putting it over the helmet, as you'll probably find the motorcycle helmet is either too big or the wrong proportions. What helmet + armour are you thinking of making?

I'm making my own custom set that I have on Reach right now. It's pretty mix and match. Helmet is ODST with UA/CNM

Edit: speaking of proportions, how do I size my head and make sure the stencils are printed out to the right size?

Depends on what pattern you're using - if it's a 3D model, a Pepakura file (such as from the Armory) or if it's just a paper pattern (like a .pdf).

If it's a 3D model or Pepakura file, you can use either Pepakura Designer or Armorsmith. Both will allow you to rescale it and edit it to turn it into paper patterns for foam, but Armorsmith also allows you to create a virtual avatar of yourself (based on measurements that you input). That way you can add components to your avatar and scale them accordingly!

Depends on what pattern you're using - if it's a 3D model, a Pepakura file (such as from the Armory) or if it's just a paper pattern (like a .pdf).

If it's a 3D model or Pepakura file, you can use either Pepakura Designer or Armorsmith. Both will allow you to rescale it and edit it to turn it into paper patterns for foam, but Armorsmith also allows you to create a virtual avatar of yourself (based on measurements that you input). That way you can add components to your avatar and scale them accordingly!
Yeah, I have the Pepakura viewer software right now. Armorsmith sounds pretty cool, so I might have to get that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back