Best Way To Trim A Visor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan Spiegel

AnimeNEXT is this friday, and I was hoping to have my suit done by then (lurked here for a good long while, no worries) but procrastination kinda ruined that. Still gonna make the armor over the summer, though.

Anyway, as a short-notice backup, I decided to butcher the helmet that came with my Legendary Edition Halo 3, as such:

http://highimpacthalo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35940

Now I have it all disassembled, just have to put it all back together. Ordered me a gold HJC visor, too, as I've read a lot around here. Question is, whenever it gets to me, what's the best tool to use to trim it so it fits? I'm afraid I don't have a fancy dremel like a bunch of the people here do.

The reason I'm doing just the helmet really quick is so I can be "Master Chef" instead of Master Chief. IE, Chief helmet, but with an apron, chef hat, and dual-wielding spatula and frying pan. One One Se7en-esque pun, I know. (Patent pending :p )

Thanks in advance, guys. Damn fine community here and I'd love to contribute a worthy suit to the collection of amazing highlights by the end of the year.

Well, the Dremel is the best, and if you have the money, it'll probably be a good investment to get one. Other than that, some sort of saw or even a drill can work, but it might not work as well as a Dremel. :)

You can pick one up at your local hardware store if you want one.

Not that I know of. There were some stickers being passed around for a while that emulated that 'dual visor' look, but I haven't seen any around for a while.

The visor will need to be cut to fit it into the helmet any way you do it, motorcycle visors are too wide to be installe otherwise I believe.

Your best bet it to either ask someone to do it for you (eek.. I wouldn't want to scratch someone elses visor!) or buy an inexpensive Dremel and do some practicing.

Try Harbor Freight Tools.. Dremels starting at $23.99

you use a very sharp knife score it 1st then keep on back over the same cut tell you can bend it alittle then score it more till its flexiable to break off

Oh hell, I'll just dish out the money for the dremel. I'll need it when I tackle the actual suit anyway. Just to make sure, when I use the thing, does it matter which way the visor is facing as I cut it? As in would it matter with cleanup if I cut only from the inside? And I don't really need sandpaper since I'm not doing the dual-visor, yes?

Get a dremel and two gold motorcycle visors. the first one is normal. The second you use a dremel to cut out the design.

I STRONGLY suggest purchasing a dremel because of the effort it will save you. I spend 30 minutes on a shatty clear visor scoring my cut-line repeatedly until I could eventually break off the excess. I also broke 4 X-acto blades (all of which flew luckily away from my face) which sucks because I don't like to use them too quickly.

For the sake of time, effort, quality, and your own safety get one.....like you are! Woops, missed that part.

I imagine it is probably better to cut from the front. If go from the back you may force the gold tinting off the front. Good luck!

HaloZombie said:
Get a dremel and two gold motorcycle visors. the first one is normal. The second you use a dremel to cut out the design.

Read the rest of my posts...

Darkfire said:
I STRONGLY suggest purchasing a dremel because of the effort it will save you. I spend 30 minutes on a shatty clear visor scoring my cut-line repeatedly until I could eventually break off the excess. I also broke 4 X-acto blades (all of which flew luckily away from my face) which sucks because I don't like to use them too quickly.

For the sake of time, effort, quality, and your own safety get one.....like you are! Woops, missed that part.

I imagine it is probably better to cut from the front. If go from the back you may force the gold tinting off the front. Good luck!

Yeah, I went ahead and got myself a dremel (I had no idea they didn't check your age for power tools, I had a mental image of a little kid buying a power drill). Helmet's done and good to go for AnimeNEXT tomorrow. As for the visor, the online helmet place people here often used more or less screwed me over, so I opted to improvise. I slightly cut up the opaque visor that comes with the helmet for visibility and covered up the small slit with mirrored shades. Doesn't look as good as a full visor, but it'll do. I'll save the legit visor for when I make the full suit.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As this is an anime convention, and you are going as "master chef", I feel a certain cooking song may be appropriate.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJFCM632jU[/media]
Now that that's done.
Good luck with your suit, and have fun at the convention.
EDIT:
crap, it didn't do it...
hold on, let me try something...
EDIT:
that didn't work either.
Well, the url is in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back