Big projects in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper07

Hey y'all. New member since 2013 here since I like to just lurk and read about all the cool things everyone else is doing seeing as I don't have the expertise with costuming to be helpful to anyone.

Anyways, in the next few weeks here I ought to have my first prototypes turned out of some things I've been working on.

And finally onto the point of the post. I wanted to see if anyone actually had interest in cast aluminum props and armor pieces. Not looking to sell anything, but before I dive down the rabbit hole further, seeing as the topic has been brought up before, I'd like to gauge the interest and team up with some other like minded people. Current projects in the works are as follows.

-MA5D
-MA5D Modular
-Suppressed SMG Modular
-ODST
-Rebel Commando

--Future projects include
-Reach inspired, Halo 4 Recruit
-Warthog

Cool. How are you going to do the aluminum casts? Are you going to make it out of Styrofoam and pout Molten metal on your prop?

I'll be using green sand mold-casting, lost foam investment would be ideal, but I don't have the skills necessary to work with foam in such detail as you guys.

I'll be using green sand mold-casting, lost foam investment would be ideal, but I don't have the skills necessary to work with foam in such detail as you guys.
I think that that would be perfect for a knife! How are you going to get the molten metal? I've wanted to start a forge for forever but they are so dang expensave...

I'm not certain of the rules regarding conventions and the carrying of a metal knife, however casting is magnitudes inefficient for production of a workable knife. I could write a novel on the molecular structure of say d2 steel that's been cast versus the same that's been forged. In short, forged is always better quality.

In order to produce the molten aluminum I've constructed a propane foundry suitable for heating a crucible large enough for the amount of material I need. It's similar to a gas forge except instead of having an open air gate to the front or side, it's access is on top with a lid. Think of a crucible as a heavy duty cup that will hold your molten material and assist in pouring. Never allow unused molten material to cool in your crucible, it'll ruin it! Always pour it into an ingot mold or similar.

Cool. I understand that because of the manipulation of the molecules in the metal, quenching, etc. But still, a cast of the knife would be cool. It doesn't have to be usable. It's just nice to have and it feels better than foam

A knife or similar object such as smaller armor pieces are fairly easy to cast if you know what you're doing. Once I get further set up where I want it, if you have something in mind let me know and I'm sure we can work it out if you're interested.

Reaper07 you mentioned doing a warthog in the future. when might you be starting on that?
I was actually thinking of making one, but decided that I just would rather restore a classic car. but anyway, excited to see what you do

I'd certainly be down for the help. And it won't be some time before I take on a project of the magnitude of the warthog, I'm working on restoring a few classic vehicles myself.

I'd certainly be down for the help. And it won't be some time before I take on a project of the magnitude of the warthog, I'm working on restoring a few classic vehicles myself.
Oh nice, I really want to do some car restoration myself, but since I live with my parents and they have zero trust in my skills, they don't want me to do any.
They also just don't trust me to have a car in the first place, working or not.

Considering this is an update to my post, I don't believe it would be considered a necro post.

Anyways, update. Due to a move, and a young buck deciding to joust me on my motorcycle, I haven't been able to get anywhere good with this project at all sadly. I'm still looking for help if someone is willing to partner up with me so I can finally get these projects going again. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize for the delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back