Binarycode's Armor (wip)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gizzil said:
I don't think it looks too big. Remember that the helmet is scaled in proportion with the rest of the armor and once your chestpiece and arms are done the helmet won't look so big. Great job by the way! :D

Thanks, I've fixed the bent part on top of the visor and started the resinning.

I also spent about an hour on sanding my gauntlets. One of them looked good when I was done sanding it, so I painted it. It just dried, and it looks ok. For some reason, it looked smoother when I hadn't repainted it... maybe the spray paint I'm using is too wet or something.

I'll get some pics of it, along with the helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I haven't posted in a while, but I've been pretty busy building my armor. Here's the work so far:

Glove, still needs some details for painting.
IMG_1217.jpg

Helmet, still sanding and bondoing.
IMG_1222.jpg

Cardboard AR, just started.
IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

That's pretty much it for now. I have a quick question about visors though. Is there a way to use anything else than a second visor to get the layered effect? I was thinking of an orange/gold see-through nylon like object. Does anyone know if someone has tried something like this (Or anything other than using 2 layers?)? I've done my searching and I couldn't really find anything. Some pics would help a lot since I want to see what it would look like before I start building.

All help and criticism is appretiated.

i think that idea is feasible. i know there are tinted adhesive sheets you can use for windows. if you can find an orange tinted one I'd say buy two (so the tint matches), cut one of them, then lay them both over the visor. then you wouldnt even need to buy a tinted visor to begin with :lol:

Edit: I just did some quick searching. it looks like it may take some searching to find a tinted film matching the chief's visor. however I'm not the best at finding stuff on the inter net :cautious:

most people here use a dual visor system. but a few people dont. one cost efficient way ive seen, is laying down a thin, clear sheet of styrene over the visor. how good your can see through it i do not know though. thorssoli did it in his thread, on this page. I think he goes further into how he applied it later on in the thread. i suggest readin through it and any other threads to get some ideas cooking, it never hurts to have too many! :D

I searched for "Mirrored Gold Styrene" and came up with this. Looks pretty good, but there are some problems with it. One, it doesn't say wether or not you can see from one side, and two, it's 0.60" thick (The one used by Thorssoli was only 0.015" thick). So far this is the only thing I can find.

Will it work?

I personally used one cheap motorcycle visor as the base and substituted a piece of plastic from a soda bottle as the seconds visor, it works pretty well and you can see through it, only problem with mine is that i was really rushed and i put it on in about 30 seconds, so it doesnt look as good as it should. Here is what it looks like on the helmet tho ~>
10-20-08_1545.jpg
10-20-08_1544.jpg

hope that helps,
-Syphon

Syphon said:
I personally used one cheap motorcycle visor as the base and substituted a piece of plastic from a soda bottle as the seconds visor, it works pretty well and you can see through it, only problem with mine is that i was really rushed and i put it on in about 30 seconds, so it doesnt look as good as it should. Here is what it looks like on the helmet tho ~>
10-20-08_1545.jpg
10-20-08_1544.jpg

hope that helps,
-Syphon

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Meanwhile, here's a pic of the completed (but not finished) AR:

IMG_1230.jpg

The gap/holes on the sides near the middle need to be moved over, but I don't see any other problems with this rifle right now. Also, it is perfectly scaled (I don't know how I got it to be that way). Any ideas on what to use as a barrel?

Last edited by a moderator:
little bit of pipe or PVC works. OR if you are desperate, maybe spray paint a highlighter black and shove it in? there's endless possibilities for barrels

I know I've been gone for a while, but I'm back now. I've been working hard on sanding my helmet though.

So, with that out of the way, this whole bondo deal is kind of getting on my nerves. I've been sanding, repairing and repeating non-stop for the last few weeks (I've only worked on my helmet once or twice a week). There are little holes, cracks and bumps all around my helmet, even though I've spent more than enough time fixing it.

Without wasting anymore time, I'll let the pictures do the speaking.

So here's the side of the helmet:
IMG_1285.jpg

As you can see, there are losts of little cracks and holes on it. When I go over them with the spot putty, I also end up needing to re-sand it. And when I do re-sand it, I get a whole new set of cracks. Although this picture sums up my problem, I'll just have some more images here so that you guys can get a better idea. Also, keep in mind that the helmet will not be gray once it's finished.

Same side, close up:
IMG_1284.jpg

Other side:
IMG_1290.jpg

Top side:
IMG_1289.jpg

So, should I just keep on re-using spot putty 'till I run out, or is there something I can do to fix this?

Also, where did I go wrong? I don't want to make the same mistake in the future on other parts of my armour.

All help is appretiated!

I don't really know how to fix it but I have an idea. Pretend you did it on purpose. Paint up the cracks and holes to look like wear-and-tear battle damage. That is the only advice I have for you. Good Luck!

I might have a solution for you the cracks are either thin areas in the original pep that have a air buble under them between the outside resin and the inside resin/glass layer, when you sand over them they will flex just enuff to cause a crack in the filler. the other thing it might be is the fiberglass layer on the inside is not thick enuff and its allowing the helmet to flex and crack the outside.

Try cutting any soft spots out with a sharp Xacto blade and filling the void with bondo. Spot filler is only made to fill small areas and scratches it will take forever to dry if its more than 1/16" thick.

Another mistake people make is not mixing thier filler properly make shure you read and follow the mixing directions.

Also if the helmet has any flex in it try brushing another layer of resin inside to stiffen it up.

As for sanding use a sand paper wrapped block of wood or a sanding block to level out the uneven areas of your filler.
Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back