Blue Shoulder And Knee Lights - Tut

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickgyver

I wanted to add the blue light in the shoulders and knees for my Son's costume. Of course, bright blue LEDs were a given, but how to give a diffused glow was the question. This tut will show how to get this effect for about $20.

Here's the finished effect in the cardboard shoulder (before fiberglassing it):

lightinbicep.jpg

The components were found at a local electronics warehouse.

components.jpg

9V plug, 9V battery, rocker switch, spade plugs, 330ohm resisters, blue LED finger lights and a length of a small diameter hot glue stick (not pictured). The finger lights were 65 cents each compared to $1.95 each for just the LED to buy them separately.

First, take the finger lights apart by removing the front ring and pulling the two halves apart.
brokeapart.jpg

Next, using an ice pick or an awl, poke a hole into the end of the hot glue in the direct center.
centerhole.jpg

Carefully hold the hot glue near the end and using a slow speed drill into the end of the hot glue. It may take a couple of tries to keep the drill straight and centered. Make sure to go slowly and wear a glove so if you do happen to rip out the side you don't cut yourself. Go in deep enough to fully insert the LED up to the ridge. Use a drill bit that will allow a snug fit for the LEDs.
drilling.jpg

The 330ohm resisters were soldered to the positive lead of the LED (long lead). The free ends of both resisters were then connected to a wire that gets a spade connector to the switch. Both of the negative LED leads (shorter lead -or- the LED will have a flat spot on the ridge adjacent to the lead) were connected to the 9V plug's black wire. The posive (red) lead from the plug is connected to the switch via a spade connector.
bluelightoff.jpg

Insert the LEDs and you are ready for a test.
bluelighton.jpg

Install the rocker switch into an inconspicous location, carefully hot glue the light and wires into the costume and you are ready to glow, I mean, go.

Thats pretty stinkin awesome. One thing that I would suggest just from observing the first picture is to "black out" the back side/inside of your shoulder. Otherwise that blue glow will be on your arm. However I suppose that since it's not FGed yet or padded then that will take care of it when it's done.

VERY nice. Thanks!

I want to make a side note for those reaading though.. some glues and rubber cements are bad for direct contact with your skin EVEN WHEN THEY ARE DRY.. careful with doing cheek lights that permit the glue to come into contact with your face for prolonged periods.. I have a friend that was admitted to the Emergency Room for that like two days ago. (He had it on his arms as part of his haunted house costume). The glue was possibly poisoning him, and he still can't move his wrists.. I'm still waiting to hear what's actually going on with him, but it's not looking good.

Please continue with the lighting discussion, I just wanted to add that side note in case it helps someone.

nice tutorial! I like it, I may use this in the future.

*edit: wow sorry about your friend Deadguy. Hope he gets better.

Great tutorial! I just have one question, instead of drilling a hole into a rod and putting the LED in it, can't you just hot glue over the light? That way, you can keep on glueing until you get the right amount of light that you want. Just an idea.

Again, amazing tutorial.

BinaryCode said:
Great tutorial! I just have one question, instead of drilling a hole into a rod and putting the LED in it, can't you just hot glue over the light? That way, you can keep on glueing until you get the right amount of light that you want. Just an idea.

Again, amazing tutorial.
That is what I would like to know as well. I've been thinking to trying it but I don't want to destroy a LED.

Also thanks for trying it. Your idea works!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finnish_Spartan said:
Great, but... Leds heat up, right? Heat makes hot glue melt? Have you had any problems?

-FSS

I don't think that would be a problem. I was unlucky enough to accidentally touch the tip of my glue gun several times in the past. It hurts quiet a bit for about a second or so, then it fades away very quickly when you take your finger off of it. So judging from the pain from the tip of a glue gun, compared to the fact that an LED doesn't even hurt, I'd say that the glue would be fine (Unless you left it on for like 6 hours straight).

I've had very little experience with LED lights, but I don't think it would give off enough power to melt the glue. We're talking 100+ degrees here. But even if the light did reach a tempature high enough to burn the glue, it probably would'ave taken a lot of time.

So, I don't think there would be any problems with this one. But I'd try not to leave it on for too long, anyways.

(Notice how I put "Think" in italics. Because most of the time, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff. I just try to help and hope I'm right.)

I have seen a few Instructables on using hot glue to diffuse the LED lights. I tried it by cutting a clear drinking straw in half, setting the LEDs in the end and then laying in hot glue. The new hot glue sticks advantage is that they have the same consistent opacity throughout. When I used the melted/cooled hot glue the light did not glow as well. If kind of fractured, if that makes sense.

As far as the heat I don't think that would be a problem as the LEDs don't get that hot.

There should be no problem at all with heat from the LEDs. They don't produce much heat. I can't see one LED getting hot enough to melt the hot glue. That's why they are used in such diverse applications. They are very versatile, last a very long time, little heat, and can be put almost anywhere.

Very cool, I'll do this on my armor.

edit* LEDs will NOT melt hot glue. Unless you are using something extremely powerful (still a very slim chance), like a Luxeon LED, but something that would be overkill.

LEDs will NOT GET HOT (practically)

Simple: if they do, they'll burn through internally and stop working (forwarding current). What can get hot is resistors, however, we are talking about a 9V battery, shouldn't be too bad.

Tips: Wire them up in series! You'll only need one resistor (@150 ohms) and you'll waste less power.

The most efficient design would be wiring three LEDs in series, as 3x3v = 9V, so you'd only need a 1 ohm resistor to be sure. Then you could add more LEDs by wiring parallel arrays of 3 LEDs to the battery.

TF_Productions said:
LEDs will NOT GET HOT (practically)

Yeah, think like on a christmas tree with lights. If you have a real christmas tree and it dries up and dies, it would probably catch on fire but LEDs dont produce much heat, thats why there making christmas lights using LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back