BONDO HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

imMonkeyGOD

I don't want to fail on my helmet so I need to ask a few more questions before I start...

I didn't cut my Pepakura Visor yet but should I before I bondo?
I'm not sure cause if I accidentally add some bondo on the visor and harder to cut or if I cut it it will collapse because of the bondo.

It really smells inside of my helmet (Fiberglass, Resin, Adhesive...Oh Joy!) and its pretty sharp, almost cut myself.
I don't really want to add more layers well not thick at least cause it's cramped up as it is. My friends said to put Febreze in it, lol, will it take the smell away?

They said when I bondo, I need a flat clean surface, will the floor of my garage work? (Concrete) or I can simply put it on a wood board that I have been using since I started (Has cured resin all over it :p)

Also, I used the technique Macattack did by putting cardboard to add more detail I put cardboard on the mouth on the back and on the top to hopefully add more layers but will it come to waste when I add Bondo?
The cardboard isn't that thick, so it wont much of a difference.

Im going to add pics later....of how the cardboard will look like

1. DO NOT PUT BONDO ON A WOOD SHEET! USE CARDBOARD!
thats all I got, just dont do put the bondo on a wood sheet, you'll have more waste.

I didn't cut my Pepakura Visor yet but should I before I bondo?
If u have already fiberglassed it u dont need to worry about it, unless while the bondo is drying the helmet gets bent in some way by outside forces u should be fine just leting it sit. Still i would do the lower half first if ur realy that worried. (i'v done mine without any problems

It really smells inside of my helmet (Fiberglass, Resin, Adhesive...Oh Joy!) and its pretty sharp, almost cut myself.
Put the helmet in front of a fan for a few days and you wont smell a thing. use very corse sandpapre to sand the edges smooth(takes a good while Dont give up!)

Also, I used the technique Macattack did by putting cardboard to add more detail I put cardboard on the mouth on the back and on the top to hopefully add more layers but will it come to waste when I add Bondo?
To realy see the diffrence in hight u need to glue the cardboard to the fiberglass on the outsideand then bondo over that. u will end up whith a rased area where the cardboard is

You can rub it with baby powder, let it dry, and wipe it down with a wet paper towel to help with the smell. Sand the inside and add in some padding to prevent from cutting yourself on the coarse fiberglass.

For mixing bondo, use a flat plastic tray. Bondo can absorb chemicals in paper boards and wood. When it hardens you can just flex the plastic and it will snap out and the tray will be reusable.

:devil:
-Vex

Speaking of Bondo, not to be an attention whore, but where could I get some cheap or maybe even a cheap, but effective replacement?

Am I able to use a plastic knife to use as a putty knife, any difference?

So I can't use wood, I can use something metal, so can I use tinfoil?

Do you ever had a moment where you see something that you hope your helmet will become the best and you end up saying "WHY DOESN'T MINE LOOK LIKE THAT!?"

Well I'm one of them, apparently now I know why you use it for specific spots. Now I'm pissed cause I put a whole chunk on a part that I shouldn't and not its all dried up. Is there any possible way to take it off? I tried stabing under with a metal stick but doesn't really help.

Also, sanding isn't as easy as I thought it was. I was sanding so hard, I accident;y cracked one of the weak spots, any way to put it back strongly?

If it's super caked on there you can do a few different things.

1. Get super coarse sand paper, like 40 grit. That's available in the automotive department at Walmart.

2. Get a dremel and a bunch of good sanding drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back