Buck's Combat Knife- Wood Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp McDiggle

Top o' the Mornin' to you all.

I been watching this forum for years, only just gaining the courage to begin posting my creations.

So far this is my first build that I feel I must show the world of Halo Fanatics like myself.
Without further adoo, I present to you the Combat Knife featured in Halo 3: ODST, wielded bt Sgt Buck:

http://horus624.deviantart.com/#/d397ol4

I used Juliet76's blueprints (Thank you, your fantastic) and made this using Balsa Wood sheets; layered, cut and sanded into shape.

I am currently unable to make casts for sale, so don't bother asking.

Keen to hear any feedback (positive only I hope) and I might post my other creations at a later date.

Isn't Balsa wood like... Soft? I've never worked with Balsa before, so I have no idea about it's rigidity. You should probably try to find some sheets of poplar, it's what LeeKegan uses for his projects, and I have a poplar knife he sent me. Very good for deailing and the such. ;)

You knife looks good, though! Could use a paintjob, but the form is perfect. ;)

Balsa is an extremely light wood. Its used alot by model makers for planes, boats etc.

I buy packs of the stuff for $10NZ at a local model shop (That just went out of business bugger...) which contains 10x 2mm and 5x 4mm sheets that are bout 250mm long, 50mm wide (measurements are from the top of my head lol).

It really great to work with. Easy to cut (except when going against the grain), I use glue sticks to layer and any scrap bit of sandpaper I find in my workshop.

In comparison to poplar (which is really hard to get here), Balsa would fly away in the wind. Poplar would stay put. However Balsa can limit the amount of detailing such as that seen in Lee Keegan's work.

Either way I personally believe that Balsa is better for noob carvers such as myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back