Building in the cold (EVA Foam)

JammedMite942

Hello!

So I've just finished the planning phase of my next build and I think i'm ready to start construction, problem is it is now snowing here in Canada and is getting colder. My original plan was to build the armor in my garage, but I did not think about how cold it would be. Anyone have any advice as to what I can do? I'm mostly concerned about a location to build in. Because i'll be using contact cement and sanding the EVA foam I don't think I can work inside without creating a mess, and having toxic fumes everywhere.

Also side question: Is contact cement really that much better than hot glue? I tried it today and the seam failed, but I chalked that up to testing it in the cold.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hello!

So I've just finished the planning phase of my next build and I think i'm ready to start construction, problem is it is now snowing here in Canada and is getting colder. My original plan was to build the armor in my garage, but I did not think about how cold it would be. Anyone have any advice as to what I can do? I'm mostly concerned about a location to build in. Because i'll be using contact cement and sanding the EVA foam I don't think I can work inside without creating a mess, and having toxic fumes everywhere.

Also side question: Is contact cement really that much better than hot glue? I tried it today and the seam failed, but I chalked that up to testing it in the cold.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Do you have a basement with a washroom you are willing to sacrifice? I think that is what PaiganBoi did for using contact cement indoors maybe he can shed some light to this. If not, super glue is also a good alternative where you can work with it indoors and hot glue is fine to use just make sure that you use high temperature glue sticks and don't leave your props in the sun in the summer. What I used is a mix of super glue and hot glue where I initially glue the pieces together with super glue and back the interior with hot glue. I have not personally used contact cement so I can't comment on that but it may be the brand that you are using.

Do you have a basement with a washroom you are willing to sacrifice? I think that is what PaiganBoi did for using contact cement indoors maybe he can shed some light to this. If not, super glue is also a good alternative where you can work with it indoors and hot glue is fine to use just make sure that you use high temperature glue sticks and don't leave your props in the sun in the summer. What I used is a mix of super glue and hot glue where I initially glue the pieces together with super glue and back the interior with hot glue. I have not personally used contact cement so I can't comment on that but it may be the brand that you are using.
I didn’t think to use super glue, I’ll try it out, thanks! Yea, after some thought I’ll probably just use my basement like the last suit I built, and just go into the garage whenever I need to use my rotary tool. Thanks for the advice!

I have been summoned!
As Pixelcube mentioned, I use the washroom in my basement for my assembly needs.
I covered the sink with a plywood board and do all my gluing and dremel work in there. Lol.
When I comes to using contact cement I wear all the necessary PPE turn on the vent and close the door.
I do all my application, let it cure then assemble. When I'm done I leave all the parts in the washroom with the vent still on and door closed for about ten min.
After that there is minimal smell and it doesn't bother anyone else in the house.

I have been summoned!
As Pixelcube mentioned, I use the washroom in my basement for my assembly needs.
I covered the sink with a plywood board and do all my gluing and dremel work in there. Lol.
When I comes to using contact cement I wear all the necessary PPE turn on the vent and close the door.
I do all my application, let it cure then assemble. When I'm done I leave all the parts in the washroom with the vent still on and door closed for about ten min.
After that there is minimal smell and it doesn't bother anyone else in the house.
This is a really good idea, unfortunately I don’t have a washroom to use, but thank you nonetheless!

Contact cement >>>>>>>> hot glue (imo)
I did contact cement in my basement for my most recent suit. I had the door closed, windows opened with fans blowing air, and wore my organic vapour respirator. I recall beginning my project in spring when it was still quite chilly outside. I used a space heater to keep my work area warm while the air was being circulated.

Just make sure those fumes can't get anywhere in your living area, and they stay in the room you're working in. I found that a few minutes after I put the glue away the air was circulated enough that I could leave my door open.

I still did the sanding and such in the garage. If you find yourself having to work in the garage, having one or two space heaters can be a real game changer! They keep you and your workpiece warm while still being able to have fresh air. It does run up the electric bill though XD

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back