Building My Assault Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightWolf

Hi, I'm new to your forums here, and I would like to post about my first project which I will be starting later this week. I am planning for a Wooden AR, (I have all necessary tools, and my wood shop teacher is helping me). I'll be recreating this from a mold, and recasting it as a hollow shell. I'll be adding an LCD screen, which I'll program alongside my magazine to show the # of ammunition. I already have this LCD/Magazine setup created, and it works beautifully, each pellet shot registers with the small CPU in the game, and sends the message to lower the # to my LCD Screen. Finally, I shall be disassembling my Full auto electric Sig552 Commando Airsoft, using the barrel, firing mechanism, and battery to shoot my gun.

But before I start, I have a couple questions for the experts here.

1. What type of Mold Maker should I use?

2. What is the strongest material I can use to make the cast of my gun? Remember, this is an Airsoft AR I am building here.

3. Does anyone have the sizes of their rifle? I'm hoping for an actual size replica.

4. What paints truly bring out that Gun Metal finish?

5. Lastly, Does anyone have any views of the Halo 3 AR, I can only get the side view, of the side with the green power button, and the first person view, I would like all other views of the weapon, but cannot find them myself.

Thanks for the help. I hope to finish this soon!

NightWolf447 said:
Hi, I'm new to your forums here, and I would like to post about my first project which I will be starting later this week. I am planning for a Wooden AR, (I have all necessary tools, and my wood shop teacher is helping me). I'll be recreating this from a mold, and recasting it as a hollow shell. I'll be adding an LCD screen, which I'll program alongside my magazine to show the # of ammunition. I already have this LCD/Magazine setup created, and it works beautifully, each pellet shot registers with the small CPU in the game, and sends the message to lower the # to my LCD Screen. Finally, I shall be disassembling my Full auto electric Sig552 Commando Airsoft, using the barrel, firing mechanism, and battery to shoot my gun.

But before I start, I have a couple questions for the experts here.

1. What type of Mold Maker should I use?

2. What is the strongest material I can use to make the cast of my gun? Remember, this is an Airsoft AR I am building here.

Are you scratch-building an Airsoft gun?

3. Does anyone have the sizes of their rifle? I'm hoping for an actual size replica.
Most of the better replicas are correct size, I do not have the link to the chart handy.

4. What paints truly bring out that Gun Metal finish?
Your going to want to use Krylon Flat Black along with a silver/gray spray paint. You would use the black as a base and lightly apply other paints to get a good gun metal finish.

5. Lastly, Does anyone have any views of the Halo 3 AR, I can only get the side view, of the side with the green power button, and the first person view, I would like all other views of the weapon, but cannot find them myself.
I personally do not have any views, but check out Link's AR, his is EXCELLENT and a great way to get a resource.

Thanks for the help. I hope to finish this soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering nearly all of the weapons are bull-pup designs, I think a FA-MAS would be a better base.

"5. Lastly, Does anyone have any views of the Halo 3 AR, I can only get the side view, of the side with the green power button, and the first person view, I would like all other views of the weapon, but cannot find them myself."

I agree with Aries. I used pics of link's Assault Rifle to scale my own and link's is a great resource. If you're going for an actual size, get the weapon's length (found on halopedia), print out some reference pictures (I used a side view of link's rifle), divide the actual length by the measured length in the picture, and you have a scale to make all measurements by. It's an easy way to get an end result that looks scaled and proportioned.

I hope that makes sense...

I've had a bunch of experience with AS guns, and I know many people who have more than me. When you make this, spend the extra time to make your cuts as ACCURATE as possible. Misalignment of parts, even just a little bit, is one of the most common problems I've seen with guns not working. (Not sure if you thought of that already, I dunno what kind of experience you have with working with guns.)

Good luck though!

your going to make mounts to hold the gearbox so it doesnt move. DO NOT TAKE APART THE GEARBOX!!!!! it is very complicated to put it back together, and unless you know your way around in one it will not work if you get back together. You may run into problems with the trigger and clearence. You also may need to buy a longer barrel.

As long as you know what you are doing the geat box is fairlt easy. i was concider doing this with my P90 and v6 gearbox.

theres a couple great tutorials on how to dive into one out on the net. there is going to be a lot of custom work invole in aligning all of this, be prepared for setbacks and problem and most importantly do not rush yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back