Soft Parts Buying a Sewing Machine? Ask here first!

FANGS

Commanding Officer
Community Staff
Division Staff
Buying a sewing machine can seem like a daunting task, especially if you've never owned one before. First stop - head over to indigoD0g's VERY helpful thread and read through post #4 to get you started.

Indi's Sewing Guide

Next, start looking at what is available to you in your price range. After that, ask about that machine here! As a community we can give you feedback based off of our experiences and what information we can also dig up. No one here is an expert but we'll sure do our best to help arm you with enough information to make a solid choice!

To make things a little easier to find over time, I'm going to reserve the next few posts by major brand names so that we can pop information we discuss in there.

Reserved for Brother Machines

(Information from Lukavago - see post 14 for pictures and further details). Brother XL-2600i. This really is a baseline sewing machine these days, and brand new will run you ~$450, but they're easy enough to find used. I picked mine up for $120 off of Craigslist. I haven't done many projects, but I can say it has no issues with cotton, either fabric or thread.

(Information from Lukavago - see post 14 for pictures and further details). Brother PE535 is a specialty machine, not something you'll typically need or see, I just want to make patches. Brand new, this thing will run you a little over $300, and I picked mine up used for $180, but as I mentioned, it's pretty niche use. Super easy to use, you load up a file and hit start while it does the work for you. That said, work is limited to a 4 inch by 4 inch square, and the setup is somewhat tedious if not difficult.

Last edited:
Reserved for Singer Machines (post 1999)

Last edited:
Reserved for Vintage Brands (Singer pre-1999, Kenmore, Necchi etc.)

Today I learned that Husqvarna makes Sewing machines... I've always heard of them in relation to Lawn & Garden tools

Today I learned that Husqvarna makes Sewing machines... I've always heard of them in relation to Lawn & Garden tools
Hahaha indeed they do! I own one of their embroidery machines that can also be used as a sewing machine.

Let's see, I've got a Brother XL-2600i that I picked up used and on the cheap. Good sewing machine if on the simple end. No programmable stuff, but it'll do all the common stich types, has a needle threader, and it runs well. Fairly easy to clean too. I've also got a Brother PE 535. That's an embroidery machine, so limited use with my sewing projects, but it can make patches just fine. Personally, I like the Brother machines. They aren't cheap, but I don't think they're overpriced either. Singer used to make the best machines in my opinion, and they still make good ones, but I think Brother has surpassed them. That's a personal opinion though, so it's not super relevant.

Lukavago - I 100% agree with you on Singer. You'll note I have them divided in to two sections. The Singer company actually went bankrupt in 1999 and was taken over. They haven't been the same since. That is not at all to say you can't get a great machine, but they aren't the top dogs anymore.

Thanks for the info on your machines! Would you mind taking photos of the machine so we can add that to the details along with what kinds of materials you've used/what it didn't like? Whenever you have time.

Sure! I can provide some info at least. I'm a novice when it comes to sewing, so I won't have much insight, but I'll do what I can.

20230714_112521.jpg

To start with, the Brother XL-2600i. This really is a baseline sewing machine these days, and brand new will run you ~$450, but they're easy enough to find used. I picked mine up for $120 off of Craigslist. I haven't done many projects, but I can say it has no issues with cotton, either fabric or thread.

20230714_112551.jpg

Then there is this monster. The Brother PE535 is a specialty machine, not something you'll typically need or see, I just want to make patches. Brand new, this thing will run you a little over $300, and I picked mine up used for $180, but as I mentioned, it's pretty niche use. Super easy to use, you load up a file and hit start while it does the work for you. That said, work is limited to a 4 inch by 4 inch square, and the setup is somewhat tedious if not difficult. The other big problem for using these machines is that if you want to do any custom work (say patches of the 405th logos) you need very specific software, and it's not cheap. I used the trial version of Hatch, but it's a $1200 program so I'll need a new solution now that my trial period is over. There are open source programs out there that are free, but the learning curve for them is super high and I haven't made much headway yet. FANGS you have a cheap digitizer you recommend? As for material, I'm using cheap felt and a cutaway backing. The tearaway backing causes problems with how easy it... well.... tears, and the water soluble stuff just isn't needed for what I'm doing. It's really only there to hold the stitchwork, so I'm not investing in expensive material there. The embroidery thread I use is from a company called Floriani, and I've loved them so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I own Hatch so I don't have a lot of information on what else is out there. Having said that, I did for a short time use Embird which I remember being far less pricey and not too bad in the learning department. It's not as powerful as Hatch though and certainly can't auto digitize like Hatch can. Have you tried using a couple of layers of the tear away? Sometimes the solution can be as easy as that. I usually use a cotton twill for my patches so I've not had that experience with the tear away.

-sigh- that auto digitizer is the part I love..... I'll find a solution I'm sure. kicks tricorner hat into closet

Well.....or you can send stuff to me to digitize. Just sayin'. I fully admit that I haven't had much time yet to play with it so perhaps we can schedule a Zoom chat and you can teach me and then I can do it for you?

I'll take the zoom call offer, but I'm prototyping, and that would be annoying for you to keep doing iterations. I've mostly got the auto digitizer figured out though.

The offer is there should you need it. We'll figure out a time in the next while to chat about it.

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back