Can anyone unfold something for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrig

I have a 3D file that I would like to unfold using Pepakura. The bad thing is that I can't afford to buy it. Can someone unfold a file for me?

I have a 3d file for the Combat Knife from BO3, I am making a resin version for cosplay, and I want it full size on either letter or legal paper (prefer letter). Would you be able to do that?

I took a look at that file for you - you don't want to try working on this in Pepakura, believe me. There are so many minuscule, intricate folds of less than a millimetre thick that you'll end up making a mess of it. The file's just too detailed to work on in Pepakura.

EDIT: it'd be great to 3D print, if you know somebody who owns a printer and would be willing to slice it up and throw it through for you.

I know someone with a 3d printer but seeing as the knife will be 12" long the printer isn't big enough. I will be using the pepakura mostly as a reference, so it doesn't really matter how hard it will be to put together. Just so you know, I have put together many models that involved 2 tweezers, glue, and a magnifying glass to complete. If you can unfold it I will print it tomorrow and hopefully have the paper version completed by the end of the weekend.

Which knife are you talking about? Pics please. Maybe try 123dmake. Free program and you can try
using the stacked slices function. I can try for you if you like.

You can print a model in multiple parts and bond them together. I agree with Chernobyl. It doesn't matter how intricate you can get with tweezers, there is a limit to how well cardstock will bend.

You mentioned in another thread you started on this same subject that you are into knife making. I have dabbled a bit in that field as well, and I know you have to be very precise when drawing up your blade shapes and proportions to make a quality blade. Knives are very easy props to freehand out of foam. Foam knives also have a small chance of being allowed into conventions and public events. If you expect to get into a con with a resin or hard plastic knife, you're gonna have a bad time.

You also mentioned you aren't great at drawing up shapes yourself. That just takes practice... lots of practice. My entire build was freehand built, so I'm sure you can manage a knife with a couple tries. A very simple method, which I've seen used in the knife-making field as well, is to snap a pic of the knife on your screen, print it out, cut it out, and trace it on to your foam/wood/etc. It may take a little editing in good old Microsoft paint to get the scale right, but it would be your best option to get the shape perfect without trying to freehand.

I know someone with a 3d printer but seeing as the knife will be 12" long the printer isn't big enough. I will be using the pepakura mostly as a reference, so it doesn't really matter how hard it will be to put together. Just so you know, I have put together many models that involved 2 tweezers, glue, and a magnifying glass to complete. If you can unfold it I will print it tomorrow and hopefully have the paper version completed by the end of the weekend.

3D print it in parts, then.

I really don't see you being able to successfully assemble the knife via Pepakura. And solid models that require tweezers are entirely different to paper/card. Regardless, upload the file and I'll see what I can do. No promises, though.

Oh! I hadn't even considered something like that! If someone can make the model into a few different parts then I can get one of my friends to print it out.

I have seen the BO3 knife and it definitely is not 12" long. Rather 10-11" top, but I'd go closer to 10.

As it was mentioned here before - you can print it few parts - handle and blade and then bond them together.

Oh! I hadn't even considered something like that! If someone can make the model into a few different parts then I can get one of my friends to print it out.

If your friend's worth his salt with his printer, he'll be able to do that himself. I assume you'd need to detach the hilt, then slice the two parts laterally. I'd do it myself, but the model requires quite a bit of cleanup, and I have a lot of other things to be getting on with.

Regardless, you should be able to fit at least one half of the model onto a decent home 3D printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back