Card stock type and overlapping on paper on adjusting scale. please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobtastic19

So im trying to figure out the best type of card stock to buy because I only want to work with the best kind of material. Also ive been playing around with the scaling so it can fit my body but ive run into a problem, Some parts overlap onto other paper. So all help will be appreciated. This is being a problem and I cant seem to find on how to fix this on other posts.

So im trying to figure out the best type of card stock to buy because I only want to work with the best kind of material. Also ive been playing around with the scaling so it can fit my body but ive run into a problem, Some parts overlap onto other paper. So all help will be appreciated. This is being a problem and I cant seem to find on how to fix this on other posts.

The 'best kind of material' is subjective - some people will tell you that foam is superior, others will argue about the thickness of cardstock you should use. In the end, it's really up to what you personally find to work best, so experimentation is a good idea.

Personally, I prefer working with cardstock up to roughly 160gsm/60lbs or so. Also, check your printer paper settings, and that all of your parts are within the guidelines before printing.

The 'best kind of material' is subjective - some people will tell you that foam is superior, others will argue about the thickness of cardstock you should use. In the end, it's really up to what you personally find to work best, so experimentation is a good idea.

Personally, I prefer working with cardstock up to roughly 160gsm/60lbs or so. Also, check your printer paper settings, and that all of your parts are within the guidelines before printing.

Well well how do I fix the issue of some pieces overlapping onto other pieces of paper?

Well well how do I fix the issue of some pieces overlapping onto other pieces of paper?

I just told you:

check your printer paper settings, and that all of your parts are within the guidelines before printing.

When you re-scale your pieces, it's important to check before printing that all of the parts are within the dashed guidelines of the pages on-screen. Also, check the Print and Paper Settings against your printer settings to ensure you're printing with the correct settings.

Also, if you're scaling up and the pieces become too big to fit in the print guidelines, then you can "cut" pieces into smaller sections to make them easier to to fit, press ctrl+n to set it to cut mode and separate the pieces to make them fit the page better, hope that helps

A lot of people prefer foam because it's lightweight and (they say) easier to work with, but it's not as durable longterm as fiberglassed cardstock. Although with patience and finesse you can achieve a fair amount of detailing with foam, greater detail (and definition) is possible with the cardstock method. In my opinion, foam parts always look like foam parts, even after painting. It may take longer, be more expensive, involve more chemicals, etc, but in the end I think glassed parts look better. But as already mentioned, it comes down to personal preference and what material(s) you're most comfortable working with and can afford. (Some people have even done combinations using both foam and cardstock.) I personally use 110 lb cardstock for my parts.

If your parts are too large to fit on a page, there are at least 4 things you can do:

1. Split the part in Pepakura Designer using the divide/connect faces tool. This will sub-divide the part so it fits on a regular-sized page and provide a flap for gluing where the part was split.
  2. Allow the part to run across adjacent pages and then splice them together manually when assembling (more difficult to do and less accurate than the first option).
  3. Use larger paper. No, seriously. Oversized cardstock can be expensive unless you're able to buy individual sheets from a local print shop, but you can get 12"x12" cardstock for a decent price from craft shops (just make sure it's heavy enough). Print the larger parts on oversized plain paper (legal, tabloid, etc) and then use them as templates for cutting from larger cardstock which probably doesn't fit in your printer. (Make sure you adjust the page settings in Pepakura Designer to match the paper size you're using.)
  4. Call a local print shop to find out what page sizes they can print on the proper cardstock weight, then set your page size in Pepakura Designer to one of those sizes (you might need to choose Custom and enter the dimensions manually). Arrange the parts to fill up the larger page size - you only need to do that for the larger parts, smaller parts you can just print at home on regular-sized cardstock. However, since you'll be paying for the whole sheet at a print shop (including the area having no parts on it), fill the page up as much as you can (fill in the empty areas with smaller parts) to reduce wasting more-expensive cardstock. You can always re-arrange the parts in Pepakura Designer to not print duplicates on your regular cardstock at home. (Any parts dragged off the page don't print, above or to the left of the pages.) Export the scaled parts on larger pages from Pepakura Designer to PDF. Copy the PDF file to a memory card, flash drive, etc, and take to the local print shop where they have larger machines for printing onto larger cardstock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back