Cardboard & Hotglue Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GundamLoki

Jr Member
Hey 405th,

So I have a problem that I was hoping I could get some advice on. I wanted to post this in the Cardboard Creation discussion but sadly I do not have the privilege to. But anyways.

So I have been building a Gundam Nu Helmet and I finished the construction out of the art board covered with cardstock. But now I have a problem. The surfaces of the shapes are fine and very very smooth. But the edges where the hot glue is applied is lumpy and overflowing. I tried using a hotknife, the hot glue gun, and acetone and they all somewhat get the job done...but nothing is perfect. Any suggestions as to effectively remove the hotglue to create a nice edge? I'm out of ideas...

Thanks
-GundamLoki

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have ask your question in your Gundam thread. Keeping all your build questions there makes more sense unless if you have questions other than your thread.

To your question, take the tip of your hot glue gun and start melting the imperfection. Once the glue starts to melt, quickly swipe your finger to remove the excess. Usually the glue is cold enough to touch, but hot enough to be taken off.

I figured I would ask in a new thread because being that most of the people are here for Halo related armor I didn't think my Gundam thread would get a response as fast as starting a new one. I apologize though and I will keep my questions in my already started thread. My apologies.

And I have been trying that. But it seems to only smoosh around the hot glue to other areas. I mean I can keep going how I'm doing it and I will get it done eventually. But I was just wondering if there was a more effective way for removing hot glue entirely. The joints are already reinforced from the back. I'm guessing I'll just have to do it that way until I get it all off. Thanks for the reply.

-GundamLoki

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try a hot knife and the back side of the blade. Kind of use it like a trowel to level out and remove excess glue.

I've found the fastest way to do remove the outside glue is to heat it with a lighter then wipe it off with your finger. If you're sensible enough, which obviously you would be, you won't set your work on fire.

Apparantly people have done it in the past, i don't know how, the paper has to go a mighty black before it ignites but w/e.

Also if you smooth the inside glue it won't have to be sanded after resining, little points of glue after being hardened with resin can be a pain to lay fibreglass on. I'd suggest using the tip of the glue gun for that as it doesn't have to be perfect unlike the outside.

Good luck on your build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back