Cardboard MK VI Master Chief Helmet Build from Foam Template.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alhmanic

Hey This is my first Halo, well not my first but I lost count but my successful helmet build in ages! I used a foam template of a MK VI helmet.
Using cardboard was easy and wasn't time consuming that it only took me 2 days to complete it.

I need help from you people too because I don't have the budget for fiberglass and resin and is very hard to find in my country.
That's why i'm using paper mache. any tips n' tricks you guys could give me so that my paper mache helmet can be smooth
and not messed up looking. please be detailed in answering if any of you know how to help me on paper mache.

I'll be updating soon.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 9,794
  • IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,135
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,642
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 669
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 970
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 676
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    951.4 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 689
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 675
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 767
  • IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,617
Cardboard is fantastic stuff to work with. I see no reason why paper mache wouldn't work. I've Googled it a bit lately for my next project. One thing I noted was that you have to be careful of what you mix into your paper mache. Look into things like mould and mildew, insects and larvae that eat paper/wood products etc. Try to think of all the things that could affect your prop in the future and find a way to combat it.

SB

Thanks for the advice man, and by the way, your iron man suits are amazing. Those suits of yours are really hard to build because of the detail.

Hard work pays off after all.

Going the paper mache route is great if you are on a tight budget and/or don't have where to resin.....I would suggest a wood glue to seal it up and add rigidity to the over all piece. Someone gave me advise here on using strips of cloth on the inside rather than fiber-glassing and resin. Soak the cloth in glue and layer the whole inside and seal it up to make it strong. Now, the problem w/ paper mache-ing the outside is that you loose detail. You have to put many layers due to the need of sanding it smooth and getting rid of the template fold edges and seams (And any gaps). If you put too thin a layer, you'll sand right down to the cardboard in no time. Can you get Bondo where you are? This will give you enough "Meat" so sand smooth w/o going too deep and ruining your helmet.

IMG_1119.JPG
Finished Paper mache/ing it. I'm going to add white paint and bondo so the thing is smooth. More updates soon.

And i'm bondo/ing it now sending pics soon.

Just added bondo to the top part of the helm. Still rough though.
I'm still new to this body filler thing and if it does not come off smooth in the finished product, i'll just have the battle scared effect to the helmet.

Attachments

• IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 376
the Bondo, once application is finished, needs to be sanded smooth......even then you will have to go to a finer grade sandpaper to get it really smooth. Until then....rough it will be. Looks great so far!!!

Hey, I'm working on a foam build using the same templates you used (the robogenesis/demolition one presumably), and it was super helpful for me to see a complete version of that template!
Unfortunately I don't know much about how to finalize a cardboard build, and indeed it looks like you're on the right track. Anyway, thanks for posting the pics! It's helping me make a lot of decisions with the foam.

No worries........get school stuff done and work on it when you can and post when you can......no required postings at specific intervals needed. Work at your own pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back