Clay Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironcobra3000

Recently, I've decided to drop my cardboard project, I'm now taking up a Mold project, so I need clay. I know I need Oil based clay, so I went to my local Hobby shop(I refuse to buy off the internet) And I found 25 Pounds of Pottery Clay for a great price, and I'm just wondering, could I use it? Is it like Oil based clay? Please help :eek

I'm pretty sure Pottery Clay is water based, as during firing of pottery they (essentially) bake out the water and binders to turn it into a solid ceramic.

But it might be oil based. It might say it somewhere on the packaging.

They Also had Self hardening clay as well, which I thought is made out of Water since when the water dries, it'll harden, also, How much clay would I need to sculpt a normal sized Helmet?

For sculpting you need to have oil based clay. Pottery Clay ISN'T oil based. Self harding clay is also on water base.

My best advice is that you do a pep model of the Chief, fiberglasses it and then use clay to do the details. Look up the ODST helmet, he is using that method. This way you save out a lot of clay. [/u]

Well the best way that is see it,

1. Do a pep model
2. Fiberglassed the model
3. Cut up the model into parts, so that its easer to cast it.
4. Add oil-based clay to the fiberglassed part, to do the details.

After that you can start thing of molding...

Well, the oil based clay at my local hobby lobby is very expensive, and there wasn't that much, I could use play-doh... could I?

Ironcobra3000 said:
Well, the oil based clay at my local hobby lobby is very expensive, and there wasn't that much, I could use play-doh... could I?

No way! Unless you want your armor to look like it's made of play-doh.
I completely agree with falcons suggestions if you want to be more serious about your armor.
If you aren't willing to invest in making quality sculpted armor, you should really consider another method.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many pounds of Clay would I need? I plan on making a stand out of PVC.

And Also, I wouldn't mind making it out of High Density foam, but I have no wear to get some, would a Lowes or Home Depot have it?

falcon NL said:
Well the best way that is see it,

1. Do a pep model
2. Fiberglassed the model
3. Cut up the model into parts, so that its easer to cast it.
4. Add oil-based clay to the fiberglassed part, to do the details.

After that you can start thing of molding...

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I have some questions.

Should I put Bondo or Clay on a fiberglassed Pep Helm?

Should I put the Bondo/Clay before cutting the helmet in parts?

Cut it with what? Dremel?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Well that depend on what you want to do with the helmet. Do you want use the model for other casts its beter to do clay,
Do you want to wear the pep helmet you are better off with bondo, but remember that Bondo is original a filler not a builder.

2. Well no, otherwise you may damage the clay.
3. I'm advising you to use a dremel.

I'd start by:
1) Dividing the fiberglass into a "disassembled" state using a Dremel tool as Falcon suggested.
2) Apply whatever medium you intend to use to sculpt in the details (the Bondo or Clay)
3) Hold the disassembled pieces together to make sure your separate pieces are symmetrical/proportionate and make adjustments.

From there, it depends on how you intend to cast from this mold. My experience in mold-making involves vacuum forming and very simple resin casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back