Cleric's MKVI Build (my first build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleric

Hello 405th! For the past few days I've been working on my very first pepakura build. Today I finished gluing the helmet together. Here's some pictures:

As it was my first attempt, and im by no means a creative person, I decided to not go with the HD version of the MKVI.
DSC02699.jpg

You might not be able to see here, but theres been a bit of warping in the sun-cap area. The left side rises a little higher than the right. I hope to fix it during the later stages. Any tips?
DSC02700.jpg

As you can see on the back, I had a little issue with making 'ends meet' :p Hope it won't affect the future stages too much!
DSC02701.jpg

The top middle section is also a little wonky/warped
DSC02703.jpg

That's it so far. Due to University I won't be able to work on this very often, so updates will probably be weekly. Next weekend I plan on doing the resin and fibre glass on the helmet!

Also, I know it doesn't look that great, but since its my first attempt, constructive criticism is very welcome! :) So are questions, of course.

Thanks guys and update you soon!

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that Im aiming to have my full suit of MJOLNIR MKVI armour completed in time for the London Expo next May. I know this seems like a huge amount of time but due to uni commitments, im really only going to have time to work on this during my holidays.

My Plan:
- Finish helmet by the end of this summer.
- Start and finish Chest and Waist piece during Christmas.
- Start and finish arms and legs during Easter.

You are on to a good start! I remember making that version of the hlemet...good times...

As for tips on fixing the warping, i would use popsicle sticks or maybe even cardboard to move the piece in any way the piece needs to be shaped. As for other tips, i would say you should eventually move onto maybe a mid definition or hi def. I personally dont really like spending a lot of time bondoing and sanding.

Good luck with your build!

You are on to a good start! I remember making that version of the hlemet...good times...

As for tips on fixing the warping, i would use popsicle sticks or maybe even cardboard to move the piece in any way the piece needs to be shaped. As for other tips, i would say you should eventually move onto maybe a mid definition or hi def. I personally dont really like spending a lot of time bondoing and sanding.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks buddy. I think after this helmet I'll move onto hi-def builds. Should hopefully have enough experience by then to attempt them.
I can see this is going to give me hell on the bondoing stage, but oh well, i guess its just extra practice. Thanks for the comment!

Thanks buddy. I think after this helmet I'll move onto hi-def builds. Should hopefully have enough experience by then to attempt them.
I can see this is going to give me hell on the bondoing stage, but oh well, i guess its just extra practice. Thanks for the comment!
I never tried this before, but I think u should have started with a HD version. Isn't it funny how by the time you finish doing something hard, anything just as nice only easier becomes a piece of cake.

Looking very good! Keep it up! And yeah, popsicle sticks work well to fix the warping. I wish I would have done that to my new CQB helmet, as it has an offset center.

Hey Cleric, looks like your doing some nice work, don't worry about it being your first time, I'm sure pletty of 405thers will give advice, you only need ask. (LOL yoda moments).
Good luck and keep working at it. :)

I never tried this before, but I think u should have started with a HD version

@ItsDarthChaos: Couldn't disagree more. Starting with a LD helmet was one of the best choices i ever made. Its about practice and refinment then making really nice stuff using the HD files. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Hey Cleric, looks like your doing some nice work, don't worry about it being your first time, I'm sure pletty of 405thers will give advice, you only need ask. (LOL yoda moments).
Good luck and keep working at it. :)

@ItsDarthChaos: Couldn't disagree more. Starting with a LD helmet was one of the best choices i ever made. Its about practice and refinment then making really nice stuff using the HD files. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Thank you animagmus. I was unsure at the beginning whether or not I should use the HD file or not, but im glad I didnt in the end. This helmet is providing me with vital practice which will help me when I make my later works.

I think if I had gone straight into cutting out and gluing those infuriating tiny pieces, it would have just turned into a mess and got me down. Being able to make an alright looking LD model has given me the confidence to progress!

Thanks everyone for your support! Updates coming soon!

Good start, the pep work looks pretty clean. Just a few spots here and there where warping seems to be giving you problems. The trick to avoid warping is that a little glue goes a long way, and too much glue will kill it. I like to use toothpicks to spread glue as sparingly as possible on the tabs when I'm building, might be a good technique to try in the future. Keep up the good work!

Good start, the pep work looks pretty clean. Just a few spots here and there where warping seems to be giving you problems. The trick to avoid warping is that a little glue goes a long way, and too much glue will kill it. I like to use toothpicks to spread glue as sparingly as possible on the tabs when I'm building, might be a good technique to try in the future. Keep up the good work!

I did not know that. I used a generous amount of glue in some places :p Just another lessons learnt for my next build. Thanks!

Quick UPDATE incoming.

I completely forgot to say that I am working on this helmet along with my friend who is doing the same as me :)
DSC02705.jpg

Whilst doing work to the helmets, we've been listening to a lot of RoosterTeeth's Podcasts. If you haven't listened to them (and you're a fan), do! They're hilarious and keep the insanity from ensuing. What do you guys listen to whilst pepping?
DSC02672.jpg

Going to my local DIY shop tomorrow to get materials for the next stage.

I hail from the UK so was wondering if anyone knew of any good brands here? Can I get any type of resin and body filler? Or does it have to be a specific kind? We don't get BONDO here :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much any type of 'auto filler' will work, some brands are better than others but it just depends on what's available. As for resin, you might need to be a little more attentive (i bought a massive tin of resin that's designed to encase bugs and stuff for display by accident first time round).

I think that there's a thread on UK alternatives in the UK discussion area so that should be a good starting point.

Hope this helps.

Hey! It's looking good Cleric! Im sure it'll come out great :) I personally did the hi def version for my first build xD considering it was only normal printer paper it turned out pretty well! It was that jar to build either so I encourage you to give it a try :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back