Cneyrinck's Weta Odst Armor - 56K Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cneyrinck

Well, I I'm finally on the way to my own set of ODST Armor. I intend to make the WETA Version, Though with the slightly more Pep Friendly Helmet.

And now to follow the classic rule of "Pics or it didn't happen"

abb43073.jpg

e0e2d25b.jpg

Both the Torso and the Helmet are Pepped in Light (20#) printer paper, for a fitting test. They are both a hair tight in certain places, but it's not anything that can't be filed down once complete (I have to turn my head 90º to the left to fit through the collar). Both are the default scaling (I'm 5'8" , medium-heavy build and, if you didn't figure it out from the collar comment, a Honkin` Huge head), and fit almost-snug when on me. The Final versions will be pepped from 110# Cardstock (It should be noted, I have to feed my cardstock through the printer one sheet at a time, or it chokes :) ). I'll work on the small packs next, but for now, I want questions, hints and tips.

Oh, and the Final Helmet will be the Pep-Friendly WETA one, not the one posted on the file database.

Update: 18 Feb 2010

Left gauntlet complete. This 110# cardstock stuff is almost too stiff for detail work (it's almost 1/32" thick on its own). Almost.

3cd0fc4b.jpg

d968d254.jpg

3de9bacc.jpg

The scale is just right; I can just fit my hand through the hole on one end. Any smaller and it wouldn't fit, and with padding and undersuit, it'll be nice and snug on my arm

Left Arm, Complete in cardstock, ready for Fiber and resin.

The next time I have access to my large, heated, vented Garage, I'll fiber and resin as many pieces as I have, Which'll be in 2 weeks or so.

Arms done!

Pauldron Close-up:

74ad4e5c.jpg

Detail of the side of left gauntlet:

7fbf4b35.jpg

Arm Stuff:

019d6aeb.jpg

HUD Plans

I Intend to make a HUD inside the helmet, and I'm going to do it cheap, as well as wireless.

At first, this caught my eye: Link.

59-324-001-07.jpg

I thought that, as a micro computer, it would work for my purposes, however, it turns out it was 120vAC power only. However, it gave me an idea.

The netbook category would work for me, however, I had heard about complicated modifications to armor, in order to reduce heat. I therefore didn't want any kind of active or fan-based cooling systems. a quick search, and I stumbled upon the Dell Mini 9 (Inspiron 900), which seemed to fit the bill perfectly. It's got a small Solid state drive, no fan, and a passive heatsink system (you can even run the computer without any heatsinks attached, and it will still work).

Here's a quick shot of the Mini 9:

dellmini9.jpg

It's small, has a great battery life (4 hours under heavy load with the small battery, 6-8 with no load on the same battery), and cheap. Ebay has it for <$250 right now.

Hmm, but I need a viewing device, if I'm going to stick it in my backpack!

That's easily solved Over Here.

If you don't like to clicky links, the guy took one of these:

myvu-crystal.jpg

And Turned it into this through some very simple cutting and disassembly:

dsc01668-thumb2.jpg
dsc01724-thumb1.jpg

cropped-thumb.jpg

They're also <$100 on Ebay for a new pair, which gives you 2 screens in the event one breaks. A quick adapter will connect the netbook with it, and it has a battery life of a dozen hours or so, which can be extended through the mini's USB.

Hmm, but what about input? Wireless input will take too much power... What's that, e-mail list? a new product debuted today that will make this simple? Oh, joy!

iKey just came out with this new Keyboard:

ikey-ak-39-07-14-09.jpg

The website with Spec and Datasheet is here.

It has a nearly-6 foot USB cable, is backlit (Can be disabled), and has a mouse and 39-key keyboard.

I got a call back from iKey for the wrist keyboard; they quoted me $549 USD, so that's out. Upon further searching, however, I found this:

UKEYB004200_01_L.jpg

UKEYB004200_03_L.jpg

And for $60, it's a little easier on the wallet.

I intend to build this rig to fit inside the armor, be easily rechargable (e.g. an extension of the power outlet), and above all else, be nearly unnoticable, save for the keyboard.

Legging updates!

611c1478.jpg

bbdfa7d8.jpg

5235d9f6.jpg

MORE PHOTOS! Allllmost done the pep!

8270cad9.jpg

e65499ac.jpg

292b54de.jpg

Edit: 4/19/2010, All Pep work has been completed!!!

14f864f6.jpg

a8addfc6.jpg

dfafbc6e.jpg

03b0926a.jpg

Fiberglass and Resin Time!

0508001802-1.jpg

My torso's currently laying on the floor under my desk getting broken and out of shape, might have to put it on a hanger like yours (if I don't make another one). Great job, especially love the gauntlet.

Another update!

Also, where does one get those "Armor status of xxxx" Pictures that you all seem to have in your signatures? I think I'd like one at this point :p

looking good but it looks like the helm might b a bit small but thats what it looks to me otherwise keep up the good work man.

Personally, I think that your helmet is FAR too small. Watch the landfall video as closely as you can, the helmets are nowhere near that tight to the trooper's head.

Just sayin'. If you like it that size ignore me :)

YamTEKK said:
Personally, I think that your helmet is FAR too small. Watch the landfall video as closely as you can, the helmets are nowhere near that tight to the trooper's head.

Just sayin'. If you like it that size ignore me :)

That helmet is the pep version available on the main site; it's not the WETA Pep-friendly one. It's also sitting too far forward in that Pic, as the paper is losing its rigidity (it was made from regular printer Paper, not cardstock). It needs to be redone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pepin dude, but the helmet seems alittle small?!?! When you resin and fiberglass its going to shrink even more. You think you will have room for visor, and padding?

HUD Plans

I Intend to make a HUD inside the helmet, and I'm going to do it cheap, as well as wireless.

At first, this caught my eye: Link.

59-324-001-07.jpg

I thought that, as a micro computer, it would work for my purposes, however, it turns out it was 120vAC power only. However, it gave me an idea.

The netbook category would work for me, however, I had heard about complicated modifications to armor, in order to reduce heat. I therefore didn't want any kind of active or fan-based cooling systems. a quick search, and I stumbled upon the Dell Mini 9 (Inspiron 900), which seemed to fit the bill perfectly. It's got a small Solid state drive, no fan, and a passive heatsink system (you can even run the computer without any heatsinks attached, and it will still work).

Here's a quick shot of the Mini 9:

dellmini9.jpg

It's small, has a great battery life (4 hours under heavy load with the small battery, 6-8 with no load on the same battery), and cheap. Ebay has it for <$250 right now.

Hmm, but I need a viewing device, if I'm going to stick it in my backpack!

That's easily solved Over Here.

If you don't like to clicky links, the guy took one of these:

myvu-crystal.jpg

And Turned it into this through some very simple cutting and disassembly:

dsc01668-thumb2.jpg
dsc01724-thumb1.jpg

cropped-thumb.jpg

They're also <$100 on Ebay for a new pair, which gives you 2 screens in the event one breaks. A quick adapter will connect the netbook with it, and it has a battery life of a dozen hours or so, which can be extended through the mini's USB.

Hmm, but what about input? Wireless input will take too much power... What's that, e-mail list? a new product debuted that will make this simple? Oh, joy!

iKey came out with this new Keyboard:

ikey-ak-39-07-14-09.jpg

The website with Spec and Datasheet is here.

It has a nearly-6 foot USB cable, is backlit (Can be disabled), and has a mouse and 39-key keyboard.

I intend to build this rig to fit inside the armor, be easily rechargable (e.g. an extension of the power outlet of the mini to the outside of the armor), and above all else, be nearly unnoticable, save for the keyboard.

Nice idea, and well thought out, seems it will definitely work, so long as you can find a good place to conceal the netbook to allow it to cool properly.

but I have to ask; why? what would you use it for, exactly?

YamTEKK said:
Nice idea, and well thought out, seems it will definitely work, so long as you can find a good place to conceal the netbook to allow it to cool properly.

but I have to ask; why? what would you use it for, exactly?

Usually, when I'm at these Conventions, I'm running the Video game rooms. I'd use a program I already have called Smartlauch, and use the HUD to Wirelessly administrate the computers/consoles. I can remote restart, start a game, give people alloted time slots, clear PCs for Tournaments, and monitor console Use time.

It'd work pretty well, I think.

Ah, a far, far better reason than 'It'd be cool!' ;) Good luck with the project.

Have you considered looking into external power supplies, or something similar? I'm sure you could mod the laptop to run off batteries concealed in your boots or something, which would significantly increase the battery time.

YamTEKK said:
Ah, a far, far better reason than 'It'd be cool!' ;) Good luck with the project.

Have you considered looking into external power supplies, or something similar? I'm sure you could mod the laptop to run off batteries concealed in your boots or something, which would significantly increase the battery time.

Fortunately, Dell uses a Fairly simple plug for the actual "AC" port on their laptops (none of that proprietary 3-pins-in-a-standard-size-connector crap), So I could probably work multiple battery packs into the armor in places, at the expense of cooling (External packs get hotter than internal packs when discharging, due to distance from the laptop). It'd be tricky, but I could probably fit a Pack or two into the armor if the battery life proves to be too short. I don't expect to be wearing the armor for more than 8 hours in a go, so I'd be able to recharge in between.

Edit: Hmm, I just realized that these Back/Shoulder Packs (The 2 small ones) that I'm pepping would hold a small battery apeice pretty well... I'll have to give that some thought.

What's with all the database errors this week?!

Anyways, a re-repost:

I got a call back from iKey for the wrist keyboard; they quoted me $549 USD, so that's out. Upon further searching, however, I found this:

UKEYB004200_01_L.jpg

UKEYB004200_03_L.jpg

And for $60, it's a little easier on the wallet.

Also, More legging updates on the main post! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back