Colours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bLiNdz0r

Alright, so I've been looking at this forum for awhile, but just hadn't registered. I have read all the tutorials and I'm pretty sure I have a good understanding on the steps based on what I already know.

There's one question I have although, a rather simple one, which is simply:

What colour is Master Chiefs armor/what colour should I buy?

I've seen 'Olive' and stuff, but what is the closest colour? I have so far:

• 110lb Cardstock Sheets
• Fiberglass Resin – liquid plastic
• HJC Visor (for helmet)
• Bond Brand Body Filler (red mustang)
• Fiberglass Sheets
• Liquid Hardener
Krylon Spray Paint Colour: ???????

Anyway, tonight I start on my helmet. :eek:

Please someone help me out on this :)

- bLiNdz0r

For Krylon specifically, I suggest "Hosta Leaf". It will say the color name on the bottom back of the can.

This may vary slightly on your monitor, but 'Hosta Leaf' is a very close match to this swatch.

leaf.jpg

Also, Here's a green related topic :)

Hope that helps

:devil:
-Vex

Thanks a lot.

I'll probably buy that colour.

Would they have all of the materials I need at Staples? Or would they not have paint?

To my knowledge, Staples won't have your spray paint. They carry more like tempera and stencils for little folks.

Walmart carries a really good selection of Krylon where I live. You might want to check there :)

The Rust-o-leum brand, like Cys mentioned, can be found at Home Depot. Home Depot only carries that and some brand called Painter's Touch, so unfortunately you won't find Krylon there.

AOB, for the 'rusted look' you could use a bronze metallic undercoat and use the wetted salt or toothpaste technique to mask out weathered spots :) I was talking about this with Masterchef in another thread. Pretty cool stuff.

Best of luck!
-Vex

cys920622 said:
adam used rust-o-lium oregano green

thats what i bought yesterday.

with black spray and hammered silver

Where did you get the hammered silver?

Also to the others in this post -

Would you say most other people wouldn't know who you were, say for Halloween, if you were to go with a color other than green? (I think they'd be idiots if you went in full QUALITY armor and them not know who you are but .....eh F' em)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
what ever color you do choose MAKE SURE YOU SPRAY PAINT IT ALL BLACK FIRST to get those details then go over it with what ever colors you want!

SpartanForever said:
what ever color you do choose MAKE SURE YOU SPRAY PAINT IT ALL BLACK FIRST to get those details then go over it with what ever colors you want!

You mean as a primer color?

Well some people use dark paints or you can actually use a spray primer. Spray primers come in black, gray, etc. I used a gray Krylon primer because it's pretty chemical neutral and makes a good canvas to start with.
<blockquote>Btw Krylon will tell you:
Priming your surface is easy to do and helps you achieve better results.

* Increases paint adhesion
* Smooths uneven surfaces
* Ensures true paint color is achieved</blockquote>
Ex of Layers on mine:

Primer
Metallic Silver Undercoat for Battle Dmg
Hosta Leaf (My Green Color)
Black, Translucent Green for shading and aging the silver
Matte Clear Coat for Sealing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vexona @ Oct 11 2007, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well some people use dark paints or you can actually use a spray primer. Spray primers come in black, gray, etc. I used a gray Krylon primer because it's pretty chemical neutral and makes a good canvas to start with.
<blockquote>Btw Krylon will tell you:
Priming your surface is easy to do and helps you achieve better results.

* Increases paint adhesion
* Smooths uneven surfaces
* Ensures true paint color is achieved</blockquote>
Ex of Layers on mine:

Primer
Metallic Silver Undercoat for Battle Dmg
Hosta Leaf (My Green Color)
Black, Translucent Green for shading and aging the silver
Matte Clear Coat for Sealing</div>

Did you use the salt wipe-off technique?

I seen a nice video of someone painting chest armor on you tube. He was using the silver hammered method and two greens I believe. I think this is what I'm going to use.

<!--quoteo(post=70083:date=Oct 11 2007, 10:55 AM:name=valdezthttp://405th.com/forums/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=12&t=5179&qpid=70083#
Show Allke)-->
valdezthttp://405th.com/forums/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=12&t=5179&qpid=70083# Show Allke said:
Did you use the salt wipe-off technique?

I seen a nice video of someone painting chest armor on you tube. He was using the silver hammered method and two greens I believe. I think this is what I'm going to use.

Yup, going to. That and toothpaste =D The dry brushing silver looks so nice when it's done.

I've started out with 1 can of each of my colors, so 6 cans at $5-6.

I bought extra but if I don't use them I'm taking them back.

You can spend a good bit easily hehe. (But then again I've been very excited about how I'm going to paint)

I actually went out and got the oregano green used in Adam Tut, but i noticed it said American accents on the tin, and the spray colour looked a little like.... brownish? so i am not sure what went on there. The colour Hosta leaf, look very good, i will have to pick up a can tomorrow and give it a try.

One question, does it matter if its grey or black primmer?

Got a big weekend ahead of me now...finish resin and fiberglass, hopefully ,maybe a primer coat by Sunday night!...oh how I love 14 hrs days. I have to have my son suit finished by 26th...one week.

If you want it to look more weathered instead of super-shiny like a plastic kids helmet, I would suggest buying an eggshell or satin paint. I was also thinking about trying to find a slight iridescent green paint so that I can get it to go different colors in different lights. That way, it just looks cooler. But ALWAYS do some experimenting on a spare piece (or on the underside of a piece of armor) that way you know exactly what it's going to look like, and if you don't like it, you can just take it back. If anyone lives near a Wal Mart or a Fred Meyer, I remember going to one of those places and buying a flat (best for primering other than actual primer) black spraypaint for only 99 cents. It worked well, and has stayed on nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back