Constructing marine armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks alecgates15 but my skills at scratch building weapons is seriously lacking. I was asking for pepakura files but maybe I should of made that clear. But thank you anyway. I will use them still as a reference as to what to get to make them look that good and where should I have the parts move. Thanks again.

Crud. It's too windy now cause of a cold front moving through soon and on top of that, no brushes. Looks like the next window of opportunity is maybe next week. Until then, good luck on your builds.

It's final. I am going to paint my costume armor 100% like the Halo 3 marines and thanks to our own Adam Grumbo and his vids, I will have one (censored) of a costume. Also, one of our other members that did a vid on his costume to replicate scratches used petroleum jelly and sand that went on top of areas painted silver before the top coat was applied. Since there will be scratches say from needlers, terrain and shrapnel, I am not to worried about getting a smooth finish when sanding is done. Well, in area yeah but in other places that looks like a good place for a gash I will let it be or work it some more. I am still waiting on he east coast for at least 48 hrs of warm, sunny weather and it has yet to happen. So no updateuntil something else related to the build comes in or is completed. (i.e. grenades)

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! DANG NAG IT! CURSES! It looks like NEXT WEEK is the next window of opportunity to fiberglass the build. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scratch building is actually so easy. Print out the blue prints 1:1, cut out the outline shape, and then trace the shape onto you material of choice, cardboard, hardboard wood, etc and cut the out. May need a few layers of that shape to get the thickness right. Glue the layers together using clamps, heavy books, yourself, whatever...

Once you have the outline the correct thickness, cut the blueprint down to just the raised areas and again trace them onto your material. Glue the raised areas in place.

Ready for sanding, bondo (optional), and paint!

Edit: Scratch building allows you to use a heavier material than card stock paper. Ideal for weapons that you will be holding.

I was planning on a helmet bluetooth set. Oh yeah! Upped one on ya all! The first functional mic in helmet! At least I am aware I am the first. Anyone willing to prove me wrong, go ahead. I am curious to see how you done yours.

The 501'st has a walk thru for Vox (Mic.&speaker) that I know of ...and I'm not sure but I think the 405th has one in the sticky's under mic. elc. Of course you can just go to Radio Shack and buy one and install it in you suit. good luck with you're build.

I am ready to start fiberglassing as soon as weather clears alter this week. Now, for the fiberglass sheet, is hat only needed in the helmet or all pieces?

Curse our maple tree! I can't fiberglass with helicopters flying down. This will take a month before the darn tree has shed its helicopters off. Until then, I will rework on the breastplate. During storage, it warped and twisted. The rest of the pieces are good though. A minor set back if it can be called that.

I have an idea that may work. A box just resting on top of the pieces should not interfere with drying and in my opinion speed it up since it will be trapping heat from the sun but yet again, there is the chance that this will leave to uneven drying and thus warping. But I don't think that will happen because the entire piece is in the box. Also, the falling helicopters is not so bad. Thanks for the tip ventrue.

Wow, man this is looking awesome so far, good job on the pepping. :)

Me and my cousin are also in the process of building Halo 3 marine costumes based on these same pep files, and I was wondering...did you leave the scaling default? Or did you mess around with the scaling at all?

Again, good job so far! Looking forward to seeing the rest! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back